By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marcus Beer speaks for gamers and questions validity of paying for Xbox Live it in front of Michael Pachter

Jazz2K said:
Lol this guy is clearly biased agains't anything MS... he doesn't speak for gamers and he's full of himself. The moment he says his Kinect registered what his girlfriend told him resulting in the game going in another direction is BS.

He also said that you shouldn't be paying for gold because of all those adds... lol, anyone complaining about the "multiple" adds on the dashboard clearly don't know what they're talking about as there are very few of them and 99% of them are movies, games, or something related to Xbox... realyy...

Pachter did a good job calling him a little whiny gamer... and that beared dud makes more sense and show more maturity... that Marcu Beer looks more like a bitter Sony fan than a real gamer.

Beer expects all online stuff to be free?  Well, I have new for him – it isn’t in much of the PC world either. In Warcraft (a monthly fee) most all the guilds use an external voice chat system (also another fee) and that added up to much more than Xbox Live's fees.  With Xbox Live you get gaming, other apps and the voice chat included.  I'm not saying I like that adds, but it's really only one square in the corner.  (Ironically, the only time it really, bugged me was the flashing/dancing Warcraft add.)  I’m not saying I like fees either, but you are paying for function.

I also call BS on the Mass Effect Story. It may happened to someone, and he is just telling a story to have something dramatic to say.  He also seems to hate MS and Kinect.  Plus the two guys are talking about how terrible Kinect (Fable Jourey) is And they admit they HAVEN’T PLAYED IT!

Anyone who has played Skyrim with the Voice in Kinect will know how incredibly useful it is for thing like 'Sort by Weight,' or ‘Sort by Value.’   Plus, it is just way fun to shout your shouts! (And if you want to, you can learn Dragontongue and shout that.)

Most of the best Kinect games are 8/10.  Which isn't bad, but perhaps some expected more, I give you that. (Dance Central 3 is the only 10/10 I can recall.)  Microsoft had been working on something like that long before PrimeSence walked in with their 3D camera (which had already been reject by Nintendo, Sony and Apple.) 

“Kinect should have an App store” clearly, he doesn’t know about Kinect Fun Labs.  Which is little, mostly free, creative apps to try out.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Looks like Beer had a rough time with the Xbox 360. He said his profile got hacked, Gold is too expensive, too many ads, he gets owned by 12 year olds online, the Kinect games he hasn't played really suck. If I were him, I'd just leave the Xbox brand alone.

dahuman said:
the2real4mafol said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I don't feel like arguing, so here are just some points:

• Cheaters, there are more cheaters on Steam than on XBL. If you get caught you are banned from the service. If you get caught on steam you are banned from one server of one game.~ Steam is based on the community rather than the games and Microsoft seems to be strict on cheating anyway 
  • Messenger integration - no explanation needed.~ Ever heard of skype?
  • Voice Chat integration, works perfectly fine on XBL. You need to download another software like TS on steam and there is no integration at all. Some players are using different software like vent.~ Skype again
  • Customer Service, this is basically unknown on steam. MS customer service works fine.~ That's because valve is only offering a service, while microsoft offer hardware and service. The PC hardware has little to do with steam.
  • App integration, XBL offers so much more Apps now and they are all very well integrated. Steam can't do anything like that.~ If you didn't know steam is starting to sell PC software now, it doesn't need apps, that's what the internet browser is for
  • Achievements are way better on XBL than on Steam.~ Steam doesn't take achievements very seriously like playstation or xbox does
  • Avatars~ I'll let you have that one, Xbox does have some good avatars out there (not worth paying xbox live for though)
  • Community feeling, XBL is way more community friendly than Steam~ the community on steam depends on what you play really, while on Xbox, the community is more about you and your friends really
  • Security, XBL is more secure than Steam.~ I agree, xbox live has decent security
Xbox 360 is good as it's really a all in one machine, but the subscription cost shouldn't be there at all

That were just some points that matter to me. I really like Steam Deals though. That is where steam > XBL IMO. I hope some Black Friday deals make their way to Germany as well.

Is the Euro version of Steam different or something? Valve does perma ban if the games use VAC as anti cheating, but that's a publisher's choice, not Valve's. You don't need Skype for messenger, Steam has a messenger and fully integrated group voice chat. Service must be a per country thing, in the US, the service is great and responsive. Are people seriously saying that computers don't have applications? ^^;; holy shit...... not to mention most new Steam games all come with achievements and the player base on PC in the US are pretty mature and friendly for the most part. I also have the freedom to change my avatar to whatever I want o_O; I'm really confused, Steam must really suck outside of America or something.

I don't know about hackers on steam, i haven't come across any but i persume they would be tough on them. Also i know about the messenger, i use that alot but my point was that steam can let use any messenger you like, most people i know use skype. I don't know how you came to the conclusion, that steam in europe is not very good i never said that at all. Steam is a great service. I don't about you but I say PC have software and phones have apps, as PC software is usually way more than an app. Also, i know steam games have achievements, but they are just not taken seriously on steam, thats all. And yes you can change your avatar like anyone else, but it seems xbox has better variety of avatars and finally, yeah the community is awesome hear. i'm don't know how came to what you said from my post really

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Pachter (as always) is wrong again ...

I worked at a company aggregating advertisements to increase revenue for large businesses and I can say with a high level of certainty that EVERYONE hates ads, especially when they've already paid for a service; and any service that people pay for generally has very poor ad performance. As a guideline, I would suggest companies decide whether they want to be paid services or free with advertisements because if you do both you will (likely) see people cancel their paid service (if your ads are obtrusive) and you will have an abysmal click-through rate.

As much as I hate Pach he did make some good points though. We pay an exorbitant amount of money these days for cable / satellite TV subscriptions, and there's tons and tons of ads on cable but no one ever says anything about it. And when you read a magazine / newspaper that you subscribe to you are bombarded with page after page of advertisements while you search for the one article you're actually interested in reading.

I bet the same people who balk at spending an extra $5 a month at the absolute most for XBL Gold are the same ones who have monthly cell phone bills north of $100.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

People complain about the ads on XBL for the sake of complaining. XBL is the only place imo where the ads are not annoying at all .

Microsoft's box, Microsoft's rules. If you don't like the rules then pay for someone else's box.

I personally found Xbox Live to be quite good as a gaming service when I used to play on consoles a lot more than I do now. Whilst I don't have an Xbox Live subscription active I wouldn't mind paying for a good experience. Why do people bitch about Xbox Live costing $60? You can play for free on other services or you can pay for the Microsoft Xbox Live Gold account and either way doesn't justify over 100 responses.

Tease.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Meh.. dont pay for XBL if you dont like it. Simple as that.

Most people wouldn't if Microsoft let them just use the multiplayer and subscriptions they already pay for and bar off everything else. There is no service in those things. There needs to be a clear difference between Silver and Gold. Publishers and Netflix, Hulu offerings are coming from elsewhere.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Meh.. dont pay for XBL if you dont like it. Simple as that.

That makes no sense, thats like saying don't buy an Xbox 360. LOL There is no choice in the matter with Microsoft.

MS doesn't hide the fact that they charge for gold. The choice to pay for live shouild be made before the console is bought. People who dont want to pay for it should buy a ps3 or wii or pc. For those do not care and that like the 360 the 360 is their choice than. Ms is not forcing people into anything. its all about choice.

PSN has  true choice, Do you like the games? Ok buy the swystem. Do you want perks or just normal online? Everything else you pay for.  Microsoft has an ultimatum, where you must pay them then pay for everything else.

given the choices though, more people seem to like the MS approach. Dont know what else to tell you. If you dont like how ms does business you dont have to support them. If you happen to like their games though you do have to things their way. I will not be to suprised if Sony charge for online next gen too. As far as i know right now they stiff the devs for the bill and lose money on psn.

Its not about what they like, its more about what they've become accustomed to. People accept things as the way it is. Next gen everything can change if Sony makes PSN known to early adopters of the PS4 when they go head to head with the 720. They will be virtually identical. Next E3 Sony and Microsoft will be showing off their next consoles for sure. The dev kits were leaked and Activision spilled the beans.

Your assuming that MS will not have a lot to add to xbox live when they release a new concole. I think they will have plenty to add to it to again be ahead of psn. I think they will be able to do this due to the fact that their online service is a profitable business so it gives more money to reinvest in live, where psn has to take that money from somewhere else. We will see when the next consoles launch what differences there aree and again we will have the choice to buy a system with free online or to buy a xbox.

Jazz2K said:
dahuman said:
Jazz2K said:

Hmm... Kinect isn't the holy grail. It has it's limits and most of those limits come from devs imagination/ability to operate it. I agree about the rest, it's not that precise but so was the Wiimote and it didn't prevent some devs from making great games.

Being able to block ads, I don't know about this. Maybe it's because I've work in marketing for so long, I don't think people should be able to block ads. What I think though is that people shouldn't be flooded by ads averywhere and especially if most of them aren't related to topics or prevent user from using their services for a brief time.

Some ads on VGChartz are extremely annoying. You know those that get bigger and make everything move? Or those ads on sites that have sound and you can't find them, or those popups... the should avoidable yes. Those on XBL I don't know, so many of them are related to topics it's like they're not ads but features. I understand though that some people don't like ads and want to remove them all, maybe the option to remove them should be there, I wouldn't use it on XBL though.

I understand that if you work in the marketing field, ads are the most important things to generate that revenu, I'm in a totally different field though, and they just seem intrusive unless I'm using the service without paying a premium, consumers like to have a choice if they are shelling money out. The problems I see with Kinect are more on the technical front rather than devs having the ability to make good games on it, the actual input method is a good idea, but the execution based on the hardware is crappy, and that's why I listed the needed improvements.

It's not perfect of course and yes it needs improvement... like say... anything? Anyway, to me devs are the reason games are bad. Controllers were bad back then but devs still managed to do wonders with them. I still think people live with grudge/hate for the sake of downplaying Kinect. Really I don,t see the big deal with it. I see what kind of possibilities a hand free device can bring to gaming and sometimes with the help of a controller or some kind of device, but for now we're not up there... I know and acknowledge this, no need to bitch constantly (not directed at you but to a lot of posters and that Marcus guy).

As for advertizing... I totally agree!

I see controller for what they are, even with Wii Motion Plus, Skyward Sword still wasn't perfect by far, and Move.... well, lets just say they purposely gimp it for FPS so people won't have an edge, it's the stupidest and most pointless thing ever made by Sony IMO. Kinect v1 is just not very good for a machine like 360 is how I see it, I think it has good potential though, think about a high res one with enough horse power on the device and the host device that can track thousands of points with good camera angles, that, would fucking rock.

d21lewis said:
Looks like Beer had a rough time with the Xbox 360. He said his profile got hacked, Gold is too expensive, too many ads, he gets owned by 12 year olds online, the Kinect games he hasn't played really suck. If I were him, I'd just leave the Xbox brand alone.

This more or less sums up Marcus Beer, to me he comes across in that video as a guy that is still pisses that his account got hacked.