By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marcus Beer speaks for gamers and questions validity of paying for Xbox Live it in front of Michael Pachter

LOL Michael Pachter has met his match! Pachter just made enemies out of a lot of gamers. Viva la resistance!

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/w89nb6/bonus-round-game-industry-2012--microsoft---s-performance

Around the Network

I couldn't load the video, but anyone who questions the validity of paying for Xbox LIVE is OK in my book.

Who is this, and why should anyone care?

Damn best Bonus Round ever. Just for the fact someone sounds like an actual gamer and not some Dorritos/Mountain Dew/Halo 4 sellout.

marcus beer FTW

Around the Network
techhunter80 said:

This.

I think patcher countered hime very well. They both brought up good points, but what Patcher said is true and that is why xbox live is still such a success with some of the flaws that hardcore gamers do not like. I personally don mind the ads as they dont stop me from doing anything(they stop and play videos i can't stop or anything like that they are just there) and sometimes (not very often) i see something usefull in them. I have never watch bonus round before, a good show. PNever really seen patcher speak either for all the flak he gets I think he does well. Yea is more business than gamer, but he brings up valid points.

Edit: I also do not see how Patcher met his match. Patcher was stating what is true and what will happen, while the other guy is stating what he wishes will happen. Its not that patcher wants this to happen, but it is whats going to happen with xbox live.

techhunter80 said:

Marcus beer is a well known freelance journalist and is known for being one of the louder and more gamer centric opinionists in the gaming world. He's also a producer on Invisible Walls and is NBC's resident gaming expert. He used to a PR guy for several notable companies before returning to gaming.

thranx said:
I think patcher countered hime very well. They both brought up good points, but what Patcher said is true and that is why xbox live is still such a success with some of the flaws that hardcore gamers do not like. I personally don mind the ads as they dont stop me from doing anything(they stop and play videos i can't stop or anything like that they are just there) and sometimes (not very often) i see something usefull in them. I have never watch bonus round before, a good show. PNever really seen patcher speak either for all the flak he gets I think he does well. Yea is more business than gamer, but he brings up valid points.

I agreed with pachter on the ads part, but again Microsoft doesn't need them because as Pachter said they broke even on Xbox Live after 2-3 million users. Xbox Live is a constant surplus for Microsoft and they dont give very much either. Those ads are just excess money in their pockets. All I can say is rape. We can understand why Facebook and Youtube have ads, because those things are free and they need the ads to function as an online system. Hell, I dont even care if Sony did it with all they've done because they've remained ad free, but Microsoft is on overkill.

Pachter is wrong though. It's not just gamers who don't like ads, see: hate at Youtube partners or the amount of people who have adblock plus. People also watch TV shows online more than cable now, so it's an incredibly moot point.