By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marcus Beer speaks for gamers and questions validity of paying for Xbox Live it in front of Michael Pachter

I don't know why people try and defend Live costing money every month. It's not a good deal and it's stupid that Microsoft charges for basic functionality.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
Jazz2K said:

I agree I jumped to conclusions... but after spending some time on forums and especially here, anything MS gets trashed so much by fans of other consoles it's difficult to know whos' who... What I hate the most is when people who keep bragging false things about MS just because it seems to be popular on the internet. People keep saying adds on the dashboard are annoying yep those who actualy have an Xbox beg to differ. Most of those adds are gaming/movie/music related when you highlight specific tabs. When you don't own the Xbox and you hear about adds being on the dashboard you don't know what's going on and you imagine all kinds of BS.

About Kinect... I would expect uninformed gamers to not know how devices work and it's ok. Not knowing isn't a bad thing, not willing to know in order to keep spreading BS is bad though. Kinect works as intended. Devs are the ones who will make it work not the otherway around. I don't see people complain about the controller when devs put bad contol mechanics in games. Some devs nail it while other don't. Same about consoles, if both are about the same, the rest is up to devs and their budget. Gamers might want to ignore this, but people in the industry shouldn't. Why would I listen to someone in the industry that doesn't know any of this or act as is? 

The thing about Kinect is that they had to keep cost down, but then the 360 doesn't really have a good room for it on the processing front, it works great on a decent PC, but I've always said that the current XBOX is not good enough for the current Kinect. These are the things they need to fix for the next one, 1.) make sure there is little delay as possible for the next iteration. 2.) able to pick up more people(at least 4+) and know who they all are on the screen(more processing power and better software) 3.) Make it with different lenses so it works in smaller rooms and is able to pick up motion at a closer proximity.

Otherwise it's just an even worse piece of shit than the Wiimote+/PS Move technology.

The whole ads thing, people might call me crazy for this, but I'm actually an IGN Prime member.(that's how I get into a lot of betas lol, so leave me alone :P ) Now, they literally give you an option to disable ads in your Prime options, I'm a paying member, therefore I have the choice of either displaying the ad or go without, I of course disabled it. Lets look at the XBL side, where is my option to do so if I'm a Gold member? I can understand them showing ads all the time to people who are not paying, but where is the option to turn it off if I don't want to see it as a paying member? That's something to think about isn't it? >=)

Hmm... Kinect isn't the holy grail. It has it's limits and most of those limits come from devs imagination/ability to operate it. I agree about the rest, it's not that precise but so was the Wiimote and it didn't prevent some devs from making great games.

Being able to block ads, I don't know about this. Maybe it's because I've work in marketing for so long, I don't think people should be able to block ads. What I think though is that people shouldn't be flooded by ads averywhere and especially if most of them aren't related to topics or prevent user from using their services for a brief time.

Some ads on VGChartz are extremely annoying. You know those that get bigger and make everything move? Or those ads on sites that have sound and you can't find them, or those popups... the should avoidable yes. Those on XBL I don't know, so many of them are related to topics it's like they're not ads but features. I understand though that some people don't like ads and want to remove them all, maybe the option to remove them should be there, I wouldn't use it on XBL though.

dahuman said:
DirtyP2002 said:
dahuman said:
Argh_College said:
I will pay for Xbox Live forever! Best service ever imo.

Halo 4 is a black on Live.

Steam, free, does everything XBL does and much more.

Not sure where Halo 4 came from but it's a pretty good game for sure.

Gaming on steam is a pain in the *** comapred to XBL.

It does less actually. Well it does more if you count hackers / cheaters, but less if you count features. It has good deals every now and then, but that is it.

I love how people would post and state nothing, it's a pain in the ass because? It does less based on your experience of? cheating is associated to Steam and not the game itself made by other companies due to(there is totally no hacking and cheating on other platforms?)? It has good deals every week btw.

I love baseless replies. Such high intelligence lol....

PS: I just noticed you are from Germany, in that case, I don't know as much, Steam is basically God status in North America but it might differ in your case :)

I don't feel like arguing, so here are just some points:

• Cheaters, there are more cheaters on Steam than on XBL. If you get caught you are banned from the service. If you get caught on steam you are banned from one server of one game.
  • Messenger integration - no explanation needed.
  • Voice Chat integration, works perfectly fine on XBL. You need to download another software like TS on steam and there is no integration at all. Some players are using different software like vent.
  • Customer Service, this is basically unknown on steam. MS customer service works fine.
  • App integration, XBL offers so much more Apps now and they are all very well integrated. Steam can't do anything like that.
  • Achievements are way better on XBL than on Steam.
  • Community feeling, XBL is way more community friendly than Steam
  • Security, XBL is more secure than Steam.

That were just some points that matter to me. I really like Steam Deals though. That is where steam > XBL IMO. I hope some Black Friday deals make their way to Germany as well.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

outlawauron said:
I don't know why people try and defend Live costing money every month. It's not a good deal and it's stupid that Microsoft charges for basic functionality.

Lets think, perhaps it's because it's the only business model that makes sense.  Everyone seems to forget that the PC model doesn't work on consoles as you're reliant upon the software company providing dedicated servers and also others taking up hosting duties.  This is not going to work on consoles so Microsoft have to bear the brunt of the infrastructure cost for Live.  Now you can handle this in several ways, you can get the money up front for online by adding to the console price, you can overcharge on content you provide with your online service or you can run it at a massive cost to the company.  You can bet right now Sony wished they had started charging at the start of the gen.

The difference between Microsoft and Sony is that one company entered this generation with a sound business model and as largely had a successful strategy, while the other had a appalling business model that has bled the company dry of profits.  PSN has also spent most of the gen as a inferior service to Live too might I add.  Plus the small fact that due to better infrastructure and I'm sure more proactive maintenence of their servers, Microsoft have never had long term outages like Sony have had on more than one occasion.  Perhaps because Microsoft invest the money they've taken in fees into better management of their network.

At the end of the day if you hate it so much I have to question how you can judge the value in the service, it's clear you've not used it for a long time.  You're in for a massive shock next gen when Sony start charging...

I didn't watch but I agree with the main point, why should we have to pay for xbox live? Which features actually make it worth £40/ year?

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
slowmo said:
outlawauron said:

Lets think, perhaps it's because it's the only business model that makes sense.  Everyone seems to forget that the PC model doesn't work on consoles as you're reliant upon the software company providing dedicated servers and also others taking up hosting duties.  This is not going to work on consoles so Microsoft have to bear the brunt of the infrastructure cost for Live.  Now you can handle this in several ways, you can get the money up front for online by adding to the console price, you can overcharge on content you provide with your online service or you can run it at a massive cost to the company.  You can bet right now Sony wished they had started charging at the start of the gen.

The difference between Microsoft and Sony is that one company entered this generation with a sound business model and as largely had a successful strategy, while the other had a appalling business model that has bled the company dry of profits.  PSN has also spent most of the gen as a inferior service to Live too might I add.  Plus the small fact that due to better infrastructure and I'm sure more proactive maintenence of their servers, Microsoft have never had long term outages like Sony have had on more than one occasion.  Perhaps because Microsoft invest the money they've taken in fees into better management of their network.

At the end of the day if you hate it so much I have to question how you can judge the value in the service, it's clear you've not used it for a long time.  You're in for a massive shock next gen when Sony start charging...

Sony and Nintendo still makes third parties pay for servers (as they should). Microsoft couldn't win over the PC crowd because you can force people to pay for an online all in one hub option when the PC is pretty much just that to begin with and doesn't generalize itself to one option. This is why Xbox Live will never be open format and they will continue to have words with Gabe Newell who used to question Sony and now after working with Sony has seen Microsoft needs to open up Xbox Live a little bit.

DirtyP2002 said:
dahuman said:
DirtyP2002 said:
dahuman said:
Argh_College said:
I will pay for Xbox Live forever! Best service ever imo.

Halo 4 is a black on Live.

Steam, free, does everything XBL does and much more.

Not sure where Halo 4 came from but it's a pretty good game for sure.

Gaming on steam is a pain in the *** comapred to XBL.

It does less actually. Well it does more if you count hackers / cheaters, but less if you count features. It has good deals every now and then, but that is it.

I love how people would post and state nothing, it's a pain in the ass because? It does less based on your experience of? cheating is associated to Steam and not the game itself made by other companies due to(there is totally no hacking and cheating on other platforms?)? It has good deals every week btw.

I love baseless replies. Such high intelligence lol....

PS: I just noticed you are from Germany, in that case, I don't know as much, Steam is basically God status in North America but it might differ in your case :)

• Cheaters, there are more cheaters on Steam than on XBL. If you get caught you are banned from the service. If you get caught on steam you are banned from one server of one game.

Not true, it's up to the publishers to ban people from servers on both PC and Live.

• Messenger integration - no explanation needed.

Steam also has a messenger integrated, and you can even use Windows Live Messenger.  Or use Windows Live for games and talk to your Xbox peeps while playing on Steam.

• Voice Chat integration, works perfectly fine on XBL. You need to download another software like TS on steam and there is no integration at all. Some players are using different software like vent.

There's voice chat integrated into Steam

• Customer Service, this is basically unknown on steam. MS customer service works fine.

Unknown?  Vavle's customer service is fine.

• App integration, XBL offers so much more Apps now and they are all very well integrated. Steam can't do anything like that.

The hell do you need apps on a computer for?  Alt-tab to get back to Windows and do everything on a computer that you can't do with apps.

• Achievements are way better on XBL than on Steam.

Achievments are identical

Yup

• Community feeling, XBL is way more community friendly than Steam

You can't quantify that, it's like me saying XBL's community sucks because of all the tweens who can't speak english.

• Security, XBL is more secure than Steam.

Bahahahahahahahaha (Not true at all.  Laughing was used for exaggrated puproses)

That were just some points that matter to me. I really like Steam Deals though. That is where steam > XBL IMO. I hope some Black Friday deals make their way to Germany as well.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
slowmo said:
outlawauron said:

Sony and Nintendo still makes third parties pay for servers (as they should). Microsoft couldn't win over the PC crowd because you can force people to pay for an online all in one hub option when the PC is pretty much just that to begin with and doesn't generalize itself to one option. This is why Xbox Live will never be open format and they will continue to have words with Gabe Newell who used to question Sony and now after working with Sony has seen Microsoft needs to open up Xbox Live a little bit.

I'm sure Gabe does want Xbox Live to not take away his companies monopoly he's building.  Nothing Gabe Newell does is anything other than lining  his companies coffers.

slowmo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
slowmo said:
outlawauron said:

I'm sure Gabe does want Xbox Live to not take away his companies monopoly he's building.  Nothing Gabe Newell does is anything other than lining  his companies coffers.

With the amount of deals they give to PC gamers I doubt his pockets are lining up anywhere near to what Microsoft is getting.

DirtyP2002 said:

• Cheaters, there are more cheaters on Steam than on XBL. If you get caught you are banned from the service. If you get caught on steam you are banned from one server of one game.~ Steam is based on the community rather than the games and Microsoft seems to be strict on cheating anyway 
  • Messenger integration - no explanation needed.~ Ever heard of skype?
  • Voice Chat integration, works perfectly fine on XBL. You need to download another software like TS on steam and there is no integration at all. Some players are using different software like vent.~ Skype again
  • Customer Service, this is basically unknown on steam. MS customer service works fine.~ That's because valve is only offering a service, while microsoft offer hardware and service. The PC hardware has little to do with steam.
  • App integration, XBL offers so much more Apps now and they are all very well integrated. Steam can't do anything like that.~ If you didn't know steam is starting to sell PC software now, it doesn't need apps, that's what the internet browser is for
  • Achievements are way better on XBL than on Steam.~ Steam doesn't take achievements very seriously like playstation or xbox does
  • Avatars~ I'll let you have that one, Xbox does have some good avatars out there (not worth paying xbox live for though)
  • Community feeling, XBL is way more community friendly than Steam~ the community on steam depends on what you play really, while on Xbox, the community is more about you and your friends really
  • Security, XBL is more secure than Steam.~ I agree, xbox live has decent security
Xbox 360 is good as it's really a all in one machine, but the subscription cost shouldn't be there at all

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018