By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Marcus Beer speaks for gamers and questions validity of paying for Xbox Live it in front of Michael Pachter

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I couldn't load the video, but anyone who questions the validity of paying for Xbox LIVE is OK in my book.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/w89nb6/bonus-round-game-industry-2012--microsoft---s-performance

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thranx said:
I think patcher countered hime very well. They both brought up good points, but what Patcher said is true and that is why xbox live is still such a success with some of the flaws that hardcore gamers do not like. I personally don mind the ads as they dont stop me from doing anything(they stop and play videos i can't stop or anything like that they are just there) and sometimes (not very often) i see something usefull in them. I have never watch bonus round before, a good show. PNever really seen patcher speak either for all the flak he gets I think he does well. Yea is more business than gamer, but he brings up valid points.

I agreed with pachter on the ads part, but again Microsoft doesn't need them because as Pachter said they broke even on Xbox Live after 2-3 million users. Xbox Live is a constant surplus for Microsoft and still they call it premium. Those ads are just excess money in their pockets. All I can say is rape.

Most ads i see are for games and movies and music. But i'm not really on the dash that much. Its not rape for a company to make a profit. Its normal. If they dont make the profit on xbox live they will try to make it eleware. I do not see profit as a bad thing as long as i am getting what i want and pay for, which i do from live.

TheBardsSong said:
Pachter is wrong though. It's not just gamers who don't like ads, see: hate at Youtube partners or the amount of people who have adblock plus. People also watch TV shows more than cable now, so it's an incredibly moot point.

Can't blame Pachter, he's just speaking from the business opinion. The only company he actually has an in on is pretty much Microsoft.

thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thranx said:
I think patcher countered hime very well. They both brought up good points, but what Patcher said is true and that is why xbox live is still such a success with some of the flaws that hardcore gamers do not like. I personally don mind the ads as they dont stop me from doing anything(they stop and play videos i can't stop or anything like that they are just there) and sometimes (not very often) i see something usefull in them. I have never watch bonus round before, a good show. PNever really seen patcher speak either for all the flak he gets I think he does well. Yea is more business than gamer, but he brings up valid points.

I agreed with pachter on the ads part, but again Microsoft doesn't need them because as Pachter said they broke even on Xbox Live after 2-3 million users. Xbox Live is a constant surplus for Microsoft and still they call it premium. Those ads are just excess money in their pockets. All I can say is rape.

Most ads i see are for games and movies and music. But i'm not really on the dash that much. Its not rape for a company to make a profit. Its normal. If they dont make the profit on xbox live they will try to make it eleware. I do not see profit as a bad thing as long as i am getting what i want and pay for, which i do from live.

I dont see the difference between live and PSN to tell you the truth, but whatever you see in it, enjoy it my friend.

I wouldn't pay for it, and I'm not, even when I get a 360. It feels wrong to give someone money so they can create a walled garden for their own purposes. I will always believe that, after you've paid for internet service and hardware, basic online gaming should be included.

Though, while I regret that so many have fallen for it, and thus made it acceptable, it's not like I'm mad at people over it. They can do what they like, and if they don't mind paying, so be it. It's just not going to be me until I have no other choice. I can easily go back to being a full time PC gamer if it comes to that.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I wouldn't pay for it, and I'm not, even when I get a 360. It feels wrong to give someone money so they can create a walled garden for their own purposes. I will always believe that, after you've paid for internet service and hardware, basic online gaming should be included.

Though, while I regret that so many have fallen for it, and thus made it acceptable, it's not like I'm mad at people over it. They can do what they like, and if they don't mind paying, so be it. It's just not going to be me until I have no other choice. I can easily go back to being a full time PC gamer if it comes to that.

A lot of gamers I know are going PC after this gen and most of them were Xbox owners. As you said though, who ever actually sees the validity in paying for it, thats their business. With this episode of Bonus Round, at least some corporate entities like Pachter are starting to understand the other side of the coin about how some gamers feel about these issues.

Lol this guy is clearly biased agains't anything MS... he doesn't speak for gamers and he's full of himself. The moment he says his Kinect registered what his girlfriend told him resulting in the game going in another direction is BS.

He also said that you shouldn't be paying for gold because of all those adds... lol, anyone complaining about the "multiple" adds on the dashboard clearly don't know what they're talking about as there are very few of them and 99% of them are movies, games, or something related to Xbox... realyy...

Pachter did a good job calling him a little whiny gamer... and that beared dud makes more sense and show more maturity... that Marcu Beer looks more like a bitter Sony fan than a real gamer.

Why am I not wondered the OP is from stage?

Jazz2K said:
Lol this guy is clearly biased agains't anything MS... he doesn't speak for gamers and he's full of himself. The moment he says his Kinect registered what his girlfriend told him resulting in the game going in another direction is BS.

He also said that you shouldn't be paying for gold because of all those adds... lol, anyone complaining about the "multiple" adds on the dashboard clearly don't know what they're talking about as there are very few of them and 99% of them are movies, games, or something related to Xbox... realyy...

Pachter did a good job calling him a little whiny gamer... and that beared dud makes more sense and show more maturity... that Marcu Beer looks more like a bitter Sony fan than a real gamer.

Because he doesn't like the idea of paying extra for online gaming doesn't mean he's a fanboy of a rival console.  That's not just a false argument, it's also kind of silly.  As he said, his history is from PC gaming, and a LOT of PC gamers don't like the idea.

And he didn't say Kinect picked up his girlfriend's voice, he said it picked up his reply, which messed up what he was doing.  He didn't like that aspect of it, so he disconnected it.  Nothing wrong with that.  

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Jazz2K said:

your post only shows you didnt know the guy, watch invisible walls and annoyed gamer and you wil see he is not a fanboy of anything and not a microsoft hater.

You're right I don't know the guy. But after this bonus round, I don't think he knows what he's talking about...