By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

There's been quite a few Mario games in my list, be they 2D platformers, 3D platformers, Kart Racers or whatever else, but it's Super Mario Bros. 3 which takes pride of place as my favourite Mario game ever made. We poor souls in the West didn't get the true SMB2 at release, instead we were given Doki Doki Panic, so when SMB3 came around, it was a welcome return to the format of the first SMB game. It came with multiple new power-ups, most notably (and most memorably) in the form of the Super Leaf, the Tanooki Suit, and the Frog Suit. These new power-ups greatly added to the gameplay, and thus made it far superior to what had come prior, and made it the foundation for everything that was to come later, and that's why I rank it as the best Mario game.

I'm not giving any clues for number 1.

VGChartz

Around the Network

3rd is Final Fantasy X, but I can't bother with writting about it.

2nd - Xenoblade Chronicles

To be very honset,I have never been the biggest fan of RPG's and the only ones that I contantly played was the Pokémon games, however this title has changed that. I usually expect that games that are well recieved will be seen as a dissapointmentin my thoughts (except for game that I'm uberly hyped about). I'm glad that I did so, since this game blew my expectations. In the first few hours, the game gets serious, I could not grasp of what had happened at that time, my emotions were just over all the place. This has not happened in a very long time and for that reason, I knew that this game would end up high. I will also have to say that the battle system was wonderfully done. Borrowing major elements from MMRPGS, was not something I would expected, the best part about it was that I love MMRPGS. To conclude this I will have to say that anyone that is intressted in the genre should have a go with this massicve title.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

2. Sonic Adventure 2, GC/DC (2001) Sega/Sonic Team

My first Sonic game, and the reason for my enduring love of 3D Sonic games. But it's not just an issue of getting to me first. Sonic Adventure 2 has several superlative qualities. The first is the quality of the platforming/speed combination in the Sonic and Shadow sections, which really balanced speed and actual platforming with care and quality that was matched only by Sonic Heroes. Not endless speed like Unleashed and the games that followed, but not as sloppy as the original Sonic Adventure, it really captured the Sonic essence in 3D. Secondly, i enjoyed the variety. I loved the treasure-hunting sections (unlike most) and enjoyed the more battle-oriented mech-walker segments. Even beyond that, the game had kart racing, the chao garden, many missions, and the ultimate prize: Green Hill Zone.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

1 is a 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 kind of parasite.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Whew! That was a close one Khan.

Transformers Prime - The Game released on October 30th, 2012 so I'll still count it.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Metroid Prime

Signature goes here!

Clue for my favourite game ever: none. Come on, you ought to know this

Consider what is conspicuously absent from my list from the games I love.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Thanks for the reminder Smeags.

Ironically, I don't think I kept going past 30-50, so here's that list.

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Earthbound
4. Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
5. Valkyria Chronicles
6. Persona 3 FES
7. Final Fantasy IV
8. Lost Odyssey
9. Nier
10. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
11. Final Fantasy XII
12. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
13. Demon's Souls
14. Tales of Vesperia
15. Final Fantasy XIII
16. Bioshock
17. Super Mario Galaxy
18. Final Fantasy X-2
19. Jeanne d'arc
20. Valkyria Chronicles 2
21. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
22. Final Fantasy VIII
23. Halo: Combat Evolved
24. Bayonetta
25. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
26. Catherine
26. Super Smash Bros. Melee
27. Gears of War 2
28. Mario Kart 64
29. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
30. Dark Souls

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

4) Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - The theme of redemption has always resonated with me for some reason. I was skeptical about how well of a story Rockstar can tell while keeping the gameplay fun and fresh. To my surprise, really well. The chracters, the world from turn of the century is brought back to life as a really amazing end of the cowboy era story. One of the reasons i really loved movies and books was that they you experience something that you might just not able to do in your life. Seeing life through another person's perspective, another timeline in history or future. This game let me experience a great cynical character through John Marston. The small things like the song starting to play in the middle of game when riding to a new mexico was just simply amazing. Posting the song video below. 

3) Super Mario Bros (NES) - This is for me and many others was the first memorable video game experience. I didn't get to buy this game until most of you were playing your ps1/n64's but i remember going to arcade place where i played this and contra till i ran out of money. The core gameplay is so solid that the game can be still enjoyed today to this day and compete with the very top end of the market as seen from the sales of wii and ds iterations. An amazing game, so deep and yet so simple. The birth of character that would bring joy to millions of people.