By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Increasing Evidence That Nintendo is Not Serious About the Hardcore Gamers

The more "hardcore" the game the less it sells....

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Wii U has Madden NFL and NBA 2K as well.

Albeit EA screwed the Wii U version of Madden by not using the new physics engine in this year's version.

I wish we got NHL 13 on the Wii U.

We were talking about launch lineup. Are those games available on launch?

runqvist said:
Soundwave said:

Albeit EA screwed the Wii U version of Madden by not using the new physics engine in this year's version.

Madden NFL 13, NBA2K13, and FIFA 13 are all launch window titles yeah.

runqvist said:
Soundwave said:

According to GameSpot Madden Wii U will be released 5 days before Wii U's launch.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/26/here-are-the-23-nintendo-wii-u-launch-titles/

I was going with that list, it does not say madden or nba but if it is wrong, I'll stand corrected.

Around the Network
voty2000 said:
fordy said:
Sensei said:

Without achievements I have no reason to play anything on Wii U.

If achievements are all that you play games for, then you're playing games for all the wrong reasons...

You play games for entertainment.  If achievements give you more entertainment value then why is that wrong?  I could care less about achievements but telling someone there is something wrong for playing games for them is ridiculous.  

Because it gives the push to play a game just for the sake of achievements. Well elaborated stories are rushed through, scenes which took a lot of effort become less relevant all for the push to get a bit field set in memory. It also pushes sales of bad games up higher than they should be, and that's only giving developers a sign that we're willing to accept any old crap in a game, as long as there's achievements in it.

Oh, and the term is "COULDN'T care less". If you're planning to use it, at least use it right.

People often say that motion controls are a gimmick, but they're actually a very usable interface that created/popularized entirely new genres and less popular genres of gameplay. Achievements, on the other-hand, are gimmicks of the most blatant nature.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

pokoko said:
I've said it many times before, but "core" and "hardcore" are not the same at all. Both as words and as terms relating to gaming. "Hardcore" refers to people who are fanatics about a particular thing, such as people who play WoW or CoD 8 hours a day. "Core" simply refers to a particular segment of the market and the people who play those types of games. Core gamers have long been the pillars of gaming, though that has changed greatly. Still, they are the ones who closely associate themselves with gaming and think of it as a part of their identity.

For instance, I know people who are hardcore about casual games, but also people who are core and only play a few hours a week on average. Core and hardcore need to stop being used interchangeably.

As for the article, it's really jumping the gun. Nintendo looks pretty serious about winning back the core, judging from the mature level exclusives they're buying, but that doesn't mean they won't make some mistakes--and not having cross-game chat is a mistake, though potentially not a big one. Region locking is annoying but not a big deal for very many people.

The key point is going to be their online service, which NO ONE can yet judge. We'll have to wait on that. When people try it out, we'll know if it at least measures up to current gen systems (which it should) or even surpasses them.

Long story short, it's way too soon to jump to conclusions.

thank you for understanding core and hard core.

everything else spot on.

Jumpin said:
People often say that motion controls are a gimmick, but they're actually a very usable interface that created/popularized entirely new genres and less popular genres of gameplay. Achievements, on the other-hand, are gimmicks of the most blatant nature.

Agree. I myself once fell for them on that FarmVille abomination, but after a while I realized they were a perverted mechanism that often starts a vicious circle turning gaming from a pleasant hobby into an obsessive-compulsive experience. And suddenly I realized too that FV mainly consists of them and stopped playing it altogether and cold turkey.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

fordy said:
voty2000 said:
fordy said:
Sensei said:

Without achievements I have no reason to play anything on Wii U.

If achievements are all that you play games for, then you're playing games for all the wrong reasons...

You play games for entertainment.  If achievements give you more entertainment value then why is that wrong?  I could care less about achievements but telling someone there is something wrong for playing games for them is ridiculous.  

Because it gives the push to play a game just for the sake of achievements. Well elaborated stories are rushed through, scenes which took a lot of effort become less relevant all for the push to get a bit field set in memory. It also pushes sales of bad games up higher than they should be, and that's only giving developers a sign that we're willing to accept any old crap in a game, as long as there's achievements in it.

Oh, and the term is "COULDN'T care less". If you're planning to use it, at least use it right.

Used the phrase incorrectly, oh well.  And for the rest, it doesn't matter.  If someone enjoys playing a game solely for achievements then so be it.  Games are for entrainment.  About rushing through cut-scenes and such, still doesn't matter, the developers are still getting payed from the purchase of the games.

Not enough people play only for achievements so the sales of bad games won't be a big problem.  Many use Gamefly and just rent the crappy games because it would cost too much to buy said games.  Also, people buy bad games all the time for a variety of stupid reasons.  I doubt the achievement crowd are to blame.  But again, if someone wants to buy a crappy game so be it.  There are loads of good games being released in spite of them.

If I buy a TV so I can blow it up, it shouldn't matter to you.  I bought it for entertainment and if my idea of entertainment is different than yours oh well.  I can do what I want with my money.  Playing games for achievements does not affect you.  Games are only for entertainment after-all.  Let people play the way they choose.