By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's safe to say Sony lost this gen; 70 million Xbox 360's have been sold!

So the gen is over cause the 360 run out of games ?!

Call this site's numbers wrong or whatever, the fact is that the last couple of years the PS3 has been on top.

And oh yeah, one year less in the market. Numbers and facts fellas

Chandler said:

Always? Thats easy: Resident Evil 6 PS3: 1.44million X360: 0.95million. Use your brain!

That goes for every game that is not a PC port, numbers, you gotta love them.

Around the Network
cmeese47 said:
360 has done great this generation and Sony has struggled simple as that. But lets look at the facts had Sony launched the same time as the 360 regardless of the $599 price they would be millions ahead of the 360 and would have a much larger market share in the US.

But I am a gamer and the best games are on PS3 simple as that the Wii and 360 both have some good games especially XBLA. That makes the PS3 a success in my mind and encourages me to invest in the PS4.

This is a very flawed example, as Sony couldn't have ever launch at the same time as the 360 with a $599 price, or they would have gone to bankruptcy, as the losses would have been huger. Lots of people say this, but it would have been a very wrong decision without revamping the hardware.

this took off fast,hilarious,reads like old times

the adjustments are coming aren't they,wonder how the "others" has been doing

Above & Beyond

brendude13 said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136006

Not sure how accurate these numbers are, but they're quite surprising and interesting.

Interesting. Thank you! I had the distinct impression that the numbers were quite different from that, though that impression springs from a long time ago, and I couldn't find the source now if I tried.

vgchartz has proven to be reliable more than once. their console numbers have been consistent for months now

the gap is 1.7 at this moment. sony turned a devastatingly bad start into a success, the rest is talk.

Around the Network

I love how people compare the Ps2 (a system thats been out for 12 years and still selling) to the ps3 and point to it as evidence of loosing 100 million users... Now, I don't think it'll sell as much as the Ps2 but obviously people were stating that 2 years ago and they were wrong then and they are still wrong.

Train wreck said:
brendude13 said:
noname2200 said:
smbu2000 said:
Rafux said:
Still props to Sony for selling almost the same quantity of PS3s releasing a year later and at 600$. They did a turn around in that awful PS3 start.

Yes, props to Sony for losing their WW #1 position from the PS1/PS2 generations and falling back to last place. Also props for losing billions of dollars with the PS3, wiping out a majority of the profit they gained from that era as well. Oh wait...

Majority of the profit? Did they suddenly storm back towards the end there? Because last I recall, the PS3's losses still outweighed the total profit of the first two generations.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136006

Not sure how accurate these numbers are, but they're quite surprising and interesting.

Its hard to dephicer the numbers because each of the divisions house different numbers

Nintendo numbers include numbers for handhelds, consoles and licensing.  So when people say "THE GAMECUBE WAS PROFITABLE" we really dont know because we dont have the mix for each number

Sony includes a multiple of things that have shifted over the years, + after 2004 includes handhelds

Microsoft EED include other things as well but as of (bing IE) but xbox comprises of 90% of the group

GC sold at a loss for only a short time at launch, so it was definitely profitable. Not to mention it had  pretty good  first party software sales.

Why do fanboys always believe they are rational? And the more rational posters often say they are fanboys....

Anyways OT: MS did a really good job this generation, they might win their 1st generation next generation. Though to MS Profits> install base.

looks like fattydingdong's got himself another hit thread....

Farsala said:
Why do fanboys always believe they are rational? And the more rational posters often say they are fanboys....

Anyways OT: MS did a really good job this generation, they might win their 1st generation next generation. Though to MS Profits> install base.

I think it's pretty objective to say that Sony slowly turned a disastrous start into a success. 6 years later people still stubornly stick to Sony doom theories .