By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's safe to say Sony lost this gen; 70 million Xbox 360's have been sold!

noname2200 said:
smbu2000 said:
Rafux said:
Still props to Sony for selling almost the same quantity of PS3s releasing a year later and at 600$. They did a turn around in that awful PS3 start.

Yes, props to Sony for losing their WW #1 position from the PS1/PS2 generations and falling back to last place. Also props for losing billions of dollars with the PS3, wiping out a majority of the profit they gained from that era as well. Oh wait...

Majority of the profit? Did they suddenly storm back towards the end there? Because last I recall, the PS3's losses still outweighed the total profit of the first two generations.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136006

Not sure how accurate these numbers are, but they're quite surprising and interesting.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Train wreck said:
JayWood2010 said:
Train wreck said:
JayWood2010 said:
I've lost all faith in VGC numbers.

PS3 over-tacked by 3 million is horrible but they have been screwing up a lot lately and it seems the pre-orders are off now too

Then please do use all a favor and request a perma ban on your account.

lmao not really sure what your problem is when I stating something that is honest.  Unlike most people on this site, I'm logical and give reasons for the things I say so if you have a problem with me then fine but at the end of the day that still doesn't change the fact that this site is wrong.  Are you hurt about it or something?  If not then no need to get all upset and act butthurt over it.

Where did the site claim its information is right?  Can you please give me a situation where finding information through statistics is factually right?  Outside the official shipment numbers from the companies, everything else is guesswork.  Unless you get perfect numbers or perfect sample sizes, all numbers will be off from NPD to GFK.   Stop being and idiot, it makes you look bad.

I'm being an idiot?  I pointed out something that was honest and you're argueing with me why?  I said nothing that was untrue, I simply said VGC over tracked by 3 million and that it loses credibility for it. So before calling me an idiot please tell me what I said that was so wrong? Two things that I absolutely hate about this site is it's credibility and the fact that it's filled with sony fans everywhere.  It's pathetic there is people still fighting over 6-7 year old technology.  I do like this site for the forums as I get a lot of information here but it's ridiculous running into biased fans constantly.  As soon as I had seen this was microsoft I knew that the comments would be ridiculous because lets face it, this site is in favor of Sony.  Now you can call me an idiot because everything i said didn't pertain to this article.  Good day to you

Lets break down your statement:

I'm being an idiot?  I pointed out something that was honest and you're argueing with me why?  I said nothing that was untrue, I simply said VGC over tracked by 3 million and that it loses credibility for it.

VG Chartz is overtracked by 3 million according to who?

I don't understand how some people have to get so defensive because a video game consoles position on the sales charts.

Sony didn't lose anything and this gen is far from over,ps3 is going to be on the market a lot longer than xbox and it has a potential to catch up with the wii.Let's not forget that 360 was released a year earlier and that ps3 was ridiculously overpriced if that didn't happen we wouldn't be writing on this article now.

Oh and i believe Microsoft said 1.7m shipped not sold so xbox is not at 70m sorry....

nnodley said:
selnor said:
nnodley said:
JayWood2010 said:

PS3 over-tacked by 3 million is horrible but they have been screwing up a lot lately and it seems the pre-orders are off now too

Did you even read the article or even other people's post on the first page.  Because if you did, then you would know that the article is comparing september 360 numbers to march ps3 numbers.  And it's not 70 million SOLD, its SHIPPED.  You and selnor seem to not have the slightest clue at how horrible this article is.  

PLEASE, next time you decide to post something make sure you have all the facts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Its more that every release there is discrepencies for the numbers. VGC only really can obtain US numbers and most of EU fairly accurately. Theres alot of numbers they dont know.

Yes the site is definitely not reliable, but the point that I'm trying to make is that you think the ps3 is overtracked because of this article which clearly uses march ps3 shipments and september 360 shipments, unless there is another reason you believe it is overtracked.  We won't know how close VGC is until all of the companies report their shipments for each quarter and from there it's a guessing game of whether it is under or over tracked.  And sony haven't given its 2013 Q1 shipments yet, so we won't know how close they are until they do so.

Im going to take a guess it's overtracked by 1 million.   I could be wrong, we will see though, although as I think someone else stated, sony is combining ps2/ps3 sales so we still wont know. Xbox is undertracked by 1.1 million and I know everybody is throwing that number shipped around, but that is the only way you can base sells off of.  To companies, shipped = sale.   And i'm not just complaining about 360 being undertracked and ps3 being overtracked.  Microsoft was just talking about halo the other day and it is also over-tracked on here too depending on what titles they were including.  VGC is pretty consistent with over-tracking and under-tracking.  

Around the Network
pezus said:
selnor said:
So the real gap is 6.1 million between 360 and PS3.

This coincides with many other reports financial from actual figures rather than guesstimates on VGC.

Maybe VGC should ask Micosoft, Nintendo and Sony direct what their actual figures are. Bet they are these. Theres a reason VGC figures aren't quoted in media articles I guess. I always wondered that.

I thought you were a veteran...jesus

I havent looked at the sales numbers for Over 3 years now. Because they wont and never will be accurate. Probably within 2 million for each I guess.

Also companies have all started talking in consumer and shipped so its becoming rediculous.

But regardless off if these figures are also accurate or not. It should all be just shipped numbers montly from the horses mouth. That would solve all issues here a VGC.

I have never been a vet of sales. Dont want to. To many innaccuracies surround the figures of the console sales.

Now profit/loss for the big 3 I do follow. Thats much more real and interesting.

brendude13 said:

Not sure how accurate these numbers are, but they're quite surprising and interesting.

Well everybody konw XBOX was a finalcial disaster for Microsft (even more than PS3 for Sony) but this graphs seem weird... I don't remeber the Sony profiting in 2010.

Nintendo and Microsoft seems accrurate.

pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
Train wreck said:
JayWood2010 said:

Then please do use all a favor and request a perma ban on your account.

lmao not really sure what your problem is when I stating something that is honest.  Unlike most people on this site, I'm logical and give reasons for the things I say so if you have a problem with me then fine but at the end of the day that still doesn't change the fact that this site is wrong.  Are you hurt about it or something?  If not then no need to get all upset and act butthurt over it.

I see a contradiction

Please stop quoting me back onto this thread.  This site is not accurate, and I'm pretty sure people are very aware of this as we constantly have threads about something being over or under-tracked.    These numbers are guesses, nothing more.  Now leave me off of this thread while you all argue

pezus said:
selnor said:
chapset said:

dude you are so funny, i really like your sarcasm

I'm not being sarcastic.

Its been a fact for the last 3 or 4 years now. VGC always has different numbers than what the media reports. Even different and left unchanged when Microsoft confirmed sales to consumers. Tats right CONSUMERS. And they still argued the toss.

Anyway I'll leave the VGC numbers to the ones who dont mind upsetting the VGCartz boat.

I have to ask you where you think the numbers the media gets come from. If any random internet website could produce "real" numbers with the click of a mouse, what would be the point in this website exactly?

I rely on nexgenwars.com and according to them Sony has only sold 25m PS3! 

brendude13 said:
noname2200 said:
smbu2000 said:
Rafux said:
Still props to Sony for selling almost the same quantity of PS3s releasing a year later and at 600$. They did a turn around in that awful PS3 start.

Yes, props to Sony for losing their WW #1 position from the PS1/PS2 generations and falling back to last place. Also props for losing billions of dollars with the PS3, wiping out a majority of the profit they gained from that era as well. Oh wait...

Majority of the profit? Did they suddenly storm back towards the end there? Because last I recall, the PS3's losses still outweighed the total profit of the first two generations.

Its hard to dephicer the numbers because each of the divisions house different numbers

Nintendo numbers include numbers for handhelds, consoles and licensing.  So when people say "THE GAMECUBE WAS PROFITABLE" we really dont know because we dont have the mix for each number

Sony includes a multiple of things that have shifted over the years, + after 2004 includes handhelds

Microsoft EED include other things as well but as of (bing IE) but xbox comprises of 90% of the group