By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's safe to say Sony lost this gen; 70 million Xbox 360's have been sold!

smbu2000 said:
Rafux said:
Still props to Sony for selling almost the same quantity of PS3s releasing a year later and at 600$. They did a turn around in that awful PS3 start.

Yes, props to Sony for losing their WW #1 position from the PS1/PS2 generations and falling back to last place. Also props for losing billions of dollars with the PS3, wiping out a majority of the profit they gained from that era as well. Oh wait...

Majority of the profit? Did they suddenly storm back towards the end there? Because last I recall, the PS3's losses still outweighed the total profit of the first two generations.

Around the Network
nnodley said:
JayWood2010 said:
I've lost all faith in VGC numbers.

PS3 over-tacked by 3 million is horrible but they have been screwing up a lot lately and it seems the pre-orders are off now too

Did you even read the article or even other people's post on the first page.  Because if you did, then you would know that the article is comparing september 360 numbers to march ps3 numbers.  And it's not 70 million SOLD, its SHIPPED.  You and selnor seem to not have the slightest clue at how horrible this article is.  

PLEASE, next time you decide to post something make sure you have all the facts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Its more that every release there is discrepencies for the numbers. VGC only really can obtain US numbers and most of EU fairly accurately. Theres alot of numbers they dont know.

ethomaz said:

selnor said:

I'm not being sarcastic.

Its been a fact for the last 3 or 4 years now. VGC always has different numbers than what the media reports. Even different and left unchanged when Microsoft confirmed sales to consumers. Tats right CONSUMERS. And they still argued the toss.

Anyway I'll leave the VGC numbers to the ones who dont mind upsetting the Sony Chartz I mean VGCartz boat.

I remeber the last time Microsoft said "SOLD TO CONSUMERS".

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-10/microsoft-says-it-has-sold-66-million-xbox-360-gaming-consoles.html

What was it? Do you remember? Wow I remembered now... 65.8m SHIPPED.

lol lol lol

I thought it was Sony that was known for using shipped numbers as sold to consumers?

Train wreck said:

I think this thread just shows how irrational people have become.  Microsoft numbers (and all game companies numbers) have always been a shipped number for 1 so its 70 million shipped not sold to customers (which this site tracks)

2nd: Sony official numbers do not come out for another two weeks so comparing an outdate number (Sony last quarter numbers were released in August in which they hat 63.9 million + the 2.8 million they sold (ps2/ps3)) to Microsoft numbers released just yesterday do not make sense.

Unfortunately for us, it's going to be hard to compare now that they are combining the PS2/PS3 numbers together. I guess that's due to the poor Vita performance though. In order to try and mask how badly it's doing they've combined it with the PSP numbers to hide it. In order to remain consistent they did the same thing with the PS3/PS2 even though both are selling fairly well.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

JayWood2010 said:
Train wreck said:
JayWood2010 said:

PS3 over-tacked by 3 million is horrible but they have been screwing up a lot lately and it seems the pre-orders are off now too

Then please do use all a favor and request a perma ban on your account.

lmao not really sure what your problem is when I stating something that is honest.  Unlike most people on this site, I'm logical and give reasons for the things I say so if you have a problem with me then fine but at the end of the day that still doesn't change the fact that this site is wrong.  Are you hurt about it or something?  If not then no need to get all upset and act butthurt over it.

Where did the site claim its information is right?  Can you please give me a situation where finding information through statistics is factually right?  Outside the official shipment numbers from the companies, everything else is guesswork.  Unless you get perfect numbers or perfect sample sizes, all numbers will be off from NPD to GFK.   Stop being and idiot, it makes you look bad.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Sony lost about 6-7 billion USD with one single product and are still in 3rd place.
They lost their exclusive 3rd party deals / franchises.
They hurt the Playstation brand in a big way.

Yet some people here think Sony did a good job this gen. Broaden your view!

Didn't the original xbox lose 4 billion, and wasnt that a single product?

It did!
And you know what it did also?

It created a brand and an online network the gaming world has not seen before. Plus different franchises that still sell millions of copies today (Halo, Fable, Forza). The Xbox helped MS to get their foot in the door.

Sony spent 6-7 billion and hurt their brand. That is the real achievement here. Sony spent this money to play catch up to the investments MS made with the original Xbox (building PSN up to match XBL quality). I hope you see it now.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

sethnintendo said:

I thought it was Sony that was known for using shipped numbers as sold to consumers?

Sold = shipped for every game company... at least until they show some tracking services (like Nintendo did for US, Europe and Japan).

Train wreck said:
JayWood2010 said:
Train wreck said:
JayWood2010 said:

Then please do use all a favor and request a perma ban on your account.

lmao not really sure what your problem is when I stating something that is honest.  Unlike most people on this site, I'm logical and give reasons for the things I say so if you have a problem with me then fine but at the end of the day that still doesn't change the fact that this site is wrong.  Are you hurt about it or something?  If not then no need to get all upset and act butthurt over it.

Where did the site claim its information is right?  Can you please give me a situation where finding information through statistics is factually right?  Outside the official shipment numbers from the companies, everything else is guesswork.  Unless you get perfect numbers or perfect sample sizes, all numbers will be off from NPD to GFK.   Stop being and idiot, it makes you look bad.

I'm being an idiot?  I pointed out something that was honest and you're argueing with me why?  I said nothing that was untrue, I simply said VGC over tracked by 3 million and that it loses credibility for it. So before calling me an idiot please tell me what I said that was so wrong? Two things that I absolutely hate about this site is it's credibility and the fact that it's filled with sony fans everywhere.  It's pathetic there is people still fighting over 6-7 year old technology.  I do like this site for the forums as I get a lot of information here but it's ridiculous running into biased fans constantly.  As soon as I had seen this was microsoft I knew that the comments would be ridiculous because lets face it, this site is in favor of Sony.  Now you can call me an idiot because everything i said didn't pertain to this article.  Good day to you

DirtyP2002 said:

Sony lost about 6-7 billion USD with one single product and are still in 3rd place.
They lost their exclusive 3rd party deals / franchises.
They hurt the Playstation brand in a big way.

Yet some people here think Sony did a good job this gen. Broaden your view!

Just a quick point.

Nobody in this thread was saying the PS3 did well compared to last gen. They were pointing out that the PS3 taking 2nd place seemed like an impossibility in 2008, and that since, SONY has done a great job of turning things around. A few people intentionally misinterpreted those comments just for an excuse to go on an anti-Sony rant. Anybody who thinks that SONY is in a terrible position now needs to take another look at the VGC home page, as well as SONY's profit margins on the new PS3.

selnor said:
nnodley said:
JayWood2010 said:

Did you even read the article or even other people's post on the first page.  Because if you did, then you would know that the article is comparing september 360 numbers to march ps3 numbers.  And it's not 70 million SOLD, its SHIPPED.  You and selnor seem to not have the slightest clue at how horrible this article is.  

PLEASE, next time you decide to post something make sure you have all the facts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Its more that every release there is discrepencies for the numbers. VGC only really can obtain US numbers and most of EU fairly accurately. Theres alot of numbers they dont know.

Yes the site is definitely not reliable, but the point that I'm trying to make is that you think the ps3 is overtracked because of this article which clearly uses march ps3 shipments and september 360 shipments, unless there is another reason you believe it is overtracked.  We won't know how close VGC is until all of the companies report their shipments for each quarter and from there it's a guessing game of whether it is under or over tracked.  And sony haven't given its 2013 Q1 shipments yet, so we won't know how close they are until they do so.