By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's safe to say Sony lost this gen; 70 million Xbox 360's have been sold!

Numbers. Got to love them. Especially big ones. Microsoft has got a big number for us today. The number is 70 million and it relates to the total Xbox 360 console sales to date. To recap: 70 million Xbox 360s have been sold since Microsoft launched the machine in November 2005. That's quite a big number.

Based on current available data, Microsoft’s big number puts Xbox 360 in second place in the console league table of sales, ahead of PlayStation 3 (63.9 million) but below Wii (96.5 million). Unless something completely mental happens (like we’re invaded by disagreeable extraterrestrials who demand all humans buy an Xbox 360 or else they'll disintegrate everyone with their advanced disintegration weapons), then Nintendo has already ‘won’ this console generation.

Source: http://www.gamesradar.com/important-console-war-update-microsoft-reveals-how-many-xbox-360s-have-been-sold-and-its-quite-lot/

I trust no one, not even myself.

Around the Network

Still props to Sony for selling almost the same quantity of PS3s releasing a year later and at 600$. They did a turn around in that awful PS3 start.

pezus said:
What an unprofessional article...comparing the latest 360 numbers to months old Wii and PS3 data.

Actually those are the latest ps3 and wii numbers, Vgchartz tends to overtrack those numbers.

I trust no one, not even myself.

pezus said:
What an unprofessional article...comparing the latest 360 numbers to months old Wii and PS3 data.

Sony numbers are off but the Wii isn't too off from VGC numbers...  Wii has officially become a fad.

"But the battle for Number Two is definitely on, with Sony’s recent push to excite consumers with new 500GB and 12GB PS3 slim models (as well as introducing a cut-price Essentials range of first and third party games) resulting in an impressive upsurge in sales. In response, Microsoft has announced price drops for Xbox 360 in Australia and North America, but nothing for the UK. "

Next time maybe you should include that part of the article instead of using this as a xBox is better than PS3 thread.

Around the Network

even Wii beat it

I'm sorry but it's more of a tie between PlayStation and Xbox, xbox is only 2 million infront not a lot at all. Which, PS3 could easily beat if it lasts as long as PS2 is. But excellent for Xbox and Microsoft, they have a decent fanbase now, so Xbox won't be going anywhere soon

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

FattyDingDong said:
pezus said:

Actually those are the latest ps3 and wii numbers, Vgchartz tends to overtrack those numbers.

Hahaha nope, those numbers are out of date, Vgchartz isn't overtracking anything. For years on end the PS3 has been out selling the 360 despite being launched a year to a year and a half later at $600, and when all is said and done at the end of the generation the PS3 will have overtaken the 360. Microsoft has done a great job of delaying the inevitable tho.

Rafux said:
Still props to Sony for selling almost the same quantity of PS3s releasing a year later and at 600$. They did a turn around in that awful PS3 start.

Yes, props to Sony for losing their WW #1 position from the PS1/PS2 generations and falling back to last place. Also props for losing billions of dollars with the PS3, wiping out a majority of the profit they gained from that era as well. Oh wait...

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

comparing PS3 numbers from march to xbox numbers from september