By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's safe to say Sony lost this gen; 70 million Xbox 360's have been sold!

ethomaz said:

brendude13 said:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136006

Not sure how accurate these numbers are, but they're quite surprising and interesting.

Well everybody konw XBOX was a finalcial disaster for Microsft (even more than PS3 for Sony) but this graphs seem weird... I don't remeber the Sony profiting in 2010.

Nintendo and Microsoft seems accrurate.

Didn't Sony lose more money with the PS3 than MS with the Xbox 1? During all that time that PS3 was losing boatloads of money a lot of it was offset by the profitable PS2 and PSP making profits. They still had massive losses because of the PS3 despite the pure profit of the PS2/PSP.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Chandler said:
I'm betting that Sony is actually ahead as far as actual customers go. But gotta give it to MS, they know how to bind their crowd. Gotta buy dat fifth xbox to pad dem numbers some more.

Yet software always sells more on 360.  Usually I wouldn't reply to bovious flamebait but try thinking a little more next time.

Always? Thats easy: Resident Evil 6 PS3: 1.44million X360: 0.95million. Use your brain!

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

pezus said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Train wreck said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Sony lost about 6-7 billion USD with one single product and are still in 3rd place.
They lost their exclusive 3rd party deals / franchises.
They hurt the Playstation brand in a big way.

Yet some people here think Sony did a good job this gen. Broaden your view!

Didn't the original xbox lose 4 billion, and wasnt that a single product?

exactly why its considered a failure. 

Uhm, no...it's considered a failure because it only sold around 25m...

and lost billions of dollars don't just state one thing and ignore the other. Fact is the original xbox was a failure because of the billions MS lost on it. 

ethomaz said:

brendude13 said:

Not sure how accurate these numbers are, but they're quite surprising and interesting.

Well everybody konw XBOX was a finalcial disaster for Microsft (even more than PS3 for Sony) but this graphs seem weird... I don't remeber the Sony profiting in 2010.

I think I remember the PS3 being profittable in 2010, it got a fair bit of attention.

brendude13 said:
ethomaz said:

brendude13 said:

I think I remember the PS3 being profittable in 2010, it got a fair bit of attention.

2010 and 2011 have been profitable years for Sony's game division.  2010 was the first year of a return to profit.  I believe it was $375 million in 2011.  2012 first quarter has been a loss, we'll have to see how the rest of it plays out.

Around the Network

smbu2000 said:

Didn't Sony lose more money with the PS3 than MS with the Xbox 1? During all that time that PS3 was losing boatloads of money a lot of it was offset by the profitable PS2 and PSP making profits. They still had massive losses because of the PS3 despite the pure profit of the PS2/PSP.

The most optimistic analyst put the losses with XBOX at least 4 billion dollars.
$168 loss on every machine that Microsoft sold.

Microsoft itself said some time: “I wouldn’t say we lost $4 billion. I’d say we spent $4 billion building the Xbox brand and business.”

But all the looses with XBOX is to make what Xbox 360 is today... so a long term strategy.

Good article to read: http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/15/the-making-of-the-xbox-part-2/

"What, these numbers? Bullshit! Now show me the source with numbers I like!"

pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:

lmao not really sure what your problem is when I stating something that is honest.  Unlike most people on this site, I'm logical and give reasons for the things I say so if you have a problem with me then fine but at the end of the day that still doesn't change the fact that this site is wrong.  Are you hurt about it or something?  If not then no need to get all upset and act butthurt over it.

I see a contradiction

Please stop quoting me back onto this thread.  This site is not accurate, and I'm pretty sure people are very aware of this as we constantly have threads about something being over or under-tracked.    These numbers are guesses, nothing more.  Now leave me off of this thread while you all argue

Well excuuuuuse me for replying to you who posted in this thread multiple times that PS3 is "overtracked by 3m" by using factually wrong data.

Yes yes, you didnt read everything i typed.  Im aware that they are using sony's shipped statement from march.  

By the way everyone talking about how the original XBOX was a failure and PS3 being a failure, profit wise they are both failures.  XBOX opened the door for Microsoft and introduced Halo, fable, forza, a long with XBOX Live.  With Xbox live and Achievements 360 set the bar for this generation so yes XBOX lost money but 360 made up for that.  

Sony sold 150 mil ps2's and yes it was sony's glory days for many of you, not really sure why but ok.  In my opinion as a gamer Sony's glory days are now and not for the ps2. PS2 may have been a goliath in sells but PS3 has way more quality games in my opinion than the ps2.  While sony has made a lot mistakes and has lost a lot of money on the PS3 i still dont see it as a failure as the games are good.  

So yes XBOX and PS3 is a failure but they both still had good things that came out of them.  The main thing sony can learn from this is dont make the same mistake twice, and that is not up to you all defending them and fighting whch console is better, they need to be better with their own business.

360 has done great this generation and Sony has struggled simple as that. But lets look at the facts had Sony launched the same time as the 360 regardless of the $599 price they would be millions ahead of the 360 and would have a much larger market share in the US.

But I am a gamer and the best games are on PS3 simple as that the Wii and 360 both have some good games especially XBLA. That makes the PS3 a success in my mind and encourages me to invest in the PS4.

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:
kowenicki said:

I'm out of this thread though, nothing good will come of it.  Talking to Sony fans on this topic is like beating your head against a stoine wall.  They refuse the see the painfully bleeding obvious.

lol that's ironic.

why.  what have i said thats wrong smiley.

No. What you said is right... the ironic part is that it fits perfectly for you too.

Edit - Microsft fans = Sony fans = Nintendo fans = fans in general.

No it really doesnt.  For it to be ironic I'd have to be guilty of the same.  Show me were I argue black is white?  Where blind loyalty gets in the way of common sense? I am presuming you mean in relation to MS matters.  Go show me.  You'll struggkle thoug, because you wont be able to.

So yeah. you fail on the definition of ironic my friend.

Irony is that whenever a comparison between 360 and PS3 is in discussion, you come up from nowhere and start comparing between PS2 and PS3. Stay on topic and that will be good.