By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's safe to say Sony lost this gen; 70 million Xbox 360's have been sold!

arcane_chaos said:
looks like fattydingdong's got himself another hit thread....

What does a sensetive ps3 fan do when he doesn't have anything logical to say... 

I trust no one, not even myself.

Around the Network
Chandler said:
JayWood2010 said:
Chandler said:
I'm betting that Sony is actually ahead as far as actual customers go. But gotta give it to MS, they know how to bind their crowd. Gotta buy dat fifth xbox to pad dem numbers some more.

Yet software always sells more on 360.  Usually I wouldn't reply to bovious flamebait but try thinking a little more next time.

Always? Thats easy: Resident Evil 6 PS3: 1.44million X360: 0.95million. Use your brain!

RE is an old, playstation original series, not hard to find the explanation, that older Sony gamers are picking that up.  Big deal, some residue left. You want to point out how MS has taken over the young male demographic you look at Madden sales; former king on PS now reigns supreme on Xbox.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
Farsala said:
Why do fanboys always believe they are rational? And the more rational posters often say they are fanboys....

Anyways OT: MS did a really good job this generation, they might win their 1st generation next generation. Though to MS Profits> install base.

I think it's pretty objective to say that Sony slowly turned a disastrous start into a success. 6 years later people still stubornly stick to Sony doom theories .

Easy to do this when their other divisions of business aren't doing that great.  Look at their TV, phone, mp3 player, ect business.  They are failing in all those markets. 

cmeese47 said:
360 has done great this generation and Sony has struggled simple as that. But lets look at the facts had Sony launched the same time as the 360 regardless of the $599 price they would be millions ahead of the 360 and would have a much larger market share in the US.

But I am a gamer and the best games are on PS3 simple as that the Wii and 360 both have some good games especially XBLA. That makes the PS3 a success in my mind and encourages me to invest in the PS4.

But that's not a fact.  That's a hypothetical completely driven by the limits of your opinion.  Too many factors at play to come to that conclusion.

- Do you mean if they both released in fall 2005?  If that happened, the PS3 would've been even MORE expensive than it was at launch, the games would've been even less impressive than they were at launch and Blu Ray movies wouldn't have been available in any notable number.  How would that have factored into it's sales and especially in it's comparison to the 360?  In its favor, it wouldn't have been battling the Wii at launch.

- If they both released in 2006, 360 would've launched with all of the games that were released earlier in the year and Gears of War and a lower price, all lined up against the PS3 launch as we know it did.  What impact would that have had on gamer opinions of what the consoles had to offer and, thus, sales?

Now, if you noticed, I didn't make any declarations there.  Just stated likelihoods and ended with questions.  Why?  Because I have no idea how this hypothetical would've played out and neither does anyone else.  The only FACTS are what actually happened.

FattyDingDong said:
arcane_chaos said:
looks like fattydingdong's got himself another hit thread....

What does a sensetive ps3 fan do when he doesn't have anything logical to say...

gamesradar has no source for the ps3 numbers, hows that for logical ?

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
Farsala said:
Why do fanboys always believe they are rational? And the more rational posters often say they are fanboys....

Anyways OT: MS did a really good job this generation, they might win their 1st generation next generation. Though to MS Profits> install base.

I think it's pretty objective to say that Sony slowly turned a disastrous start into a success. 6 years later people still stubornly stick to Sony doom theories .

I believe that is true. And the Wii made a large impact on gaming and sold tons as compared to previous nintendo consoles. And MS had large success and huge profits.

All 3 win!

The article is misinformed, but I'll say the following to the forum community.

The launched ps3 model was sold for $600 and its manufacture development cost was $800. Despite all that, Sony kept selling the console at a loss, and they still manage to sell/ship faster every year, and now they're finally selling at profit it seems.

No matter what the polls say, I think Sony is doing a good job bringing new games, and for not backing down.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
se7en7thre3 said:
Chandler said:
JayWood2010 said:
Chandler said:
I'm betting that Sony is actually ahead as far as actual customers go. But gotta give it to MS, they know how to bind their crowd. Gotta buy dat fifth xbox to pad dem numbers some more.

Yet software always sells more on 360.  Usually I wouldn't reply to bovious flamebait but try thinking a little more next time.

Always? Thats easy: Resident Evil 6 PS3: 1.44million X360: 0.95million. Use your brain!

RE is an old, playstation original series, not hard to find the explanation, that older Sony gamers are picking that up.  Big deal, some residue left. You want to point out how MS has taken over the young male demographic you look at Madden sales; former king on PS now reigns supreme on Xbox.

What is a Madden? Is this relevant anywhere in the world besides the US where Microsoft has by far the most success?Also, I used RE6 quickly just to disprove the "always".

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Farsala said:

All 3 win!

Here's the thing, 2 of them are worldwide players, ms is heavily localized and had the base advantage of the media turning a blind eye to a 55% fail rate that would have killed any kind of hardware

in other words those 2 of them won what was an uneven race to begin with

se7en7thre3 said:

...young male demographic you look at Madden sales....

take a look at fifa & pes 2013 numbers and put some tooth paste on that burn

I'm not quite sure how that proves Sony lost this generation. If you're judging "victory" based on market share, then it's not over yet. Obviously, the ps3 numbers in that article are horribly outdated and the PS3 isn't far behind. It definitely surpass the 360 eventually. However, if you're judging "victory" based on profits, then it's been proven for years now that the 360 has won in that department. This 70m milestone for the 360 is not some final piece of evidence that proves the 360 is the more profitable console; we've known that for quite a while now.

The milestone doesn't really change anything and I'm not really sure why this thread has become so popular (that's the magic of FattyDingDong, I guess). The X360 started off much stronger than the PS3, and PS3 has been catching up very slowly. That's been the pattern for the past 3-4 years, it's the pattern now, and it's probably going to be the pattern for the next few years. This piece of information isn't some turning point for the generation.