By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPGs versus JRPGs, or: My mis-adventures in KOTOR

Scoobes said:

I think you missed my point a little. My comment was on the way the story is told. First and foremost, Final Fantasy is a video game and it should use the advantages of the medium to convey the story. It doesn't matter that they tried to convey a deep story based on our history if they're simply copying the medium of film. Games have many tools and methods at their disposal to convey story and the themes you described above. Whilst JRPGs are known for cut scenes, they often also incorporate other elements (side quests, NPC character interaction, exploration) to enrich the story.

I suppose a good example would be to compare The Walking Dead TV show with the game. Both are critically acclaimed and present different stories, but both play to the strengths of their medium. The TV show uses quality acting and cinematography to great effect whilst the game plays to the strengths of the interactive medium by allowing the player to make key decisions on how to interact and influence other characters.

You also make it sound like these themes and methods are exclusive to JRPGs when plenty of video games even outside the RPG genre have dealt with major issues without resorting to copying the film industry. Half-Life 2 also uses our own history to create a dystopian world filled with propaganda but is all presented with you in complete control of your actions. The story is conveyed through your experience with the world and characters rather than film. Deus Ex Human Revolution intellectually poses questions regarding the ethics of transhumanism and the role and power of multinational corporations in globalization, yet it doesn't rely on cut-scenes to present these arguments. Witcher, Dragon Age and Mass Effect all raise questions concerning racism and prejudice but present it in ways that you can influence and actively makes you think about these issues. This is especially true with Witcher where the morality of these issues isn't always as straightforward as presented in many Final Fantasy games.

The themes presented in FFXIII aren't anything particularly special and the way they're presented mean those themes are often lost in passive dialogue. Many films and games cover similar themes and many of those games have engaged me more then FFXIII.

In my opinion FF takes advantage of the medium "video game". If I simply watch a movie, i am just passively watching it. The video game combines the narrative with interaction, so that I reach a different form of concentration and focus. The difference is that I am not seeing the playable characters as "me in the game" and therefore I do not need to be able to alter the story or have choices, etc.

Most of the times Sidequests are just awful. Especially in WRPGs you have access to 500 sidequests, but in the end they are just the same "go there, kill this, fetch that and return" that offer almost no substantial narrative. The questgiver is just a random npc and after the quest(s) he is unimportant. The sidequests often do not have substantial effects on the world and they are simply there to lenghten the playtime.

Exploration is the next thing. I am not a fan of big landscapes... They often are just a filler and there is often not much to find in these areas. There were some old games that had a high encounter rate where you could get lost easily if you weren't focused. I do not feel that a large Landscape with open space offer something substantial. If the game has random encounters it is simply not important how big the area is, just which underground you stand on (like the overworld maps in early FFs). In games like FF 12 or White Knight Chronicles I also disliked the large areas because it takes so much time to search for everything... and running around is exceptionally funny.

Maybe I see the things a little different now than several years ago.  After I have graduated from university and am working 40h I just don't have the time to spend too many hours on a single game. I like games that are focused and that are somehow straightforward. There can be some sort of exploration, sidequests etc. but I do not want it to get too important since they are often just used to lengthen the game.

I just can't say much about Half-Life, since I despise Egoshooter. I do not think that I would like that game a single bit. Deus Ex... I played through the PS2 game and I found it simply boring. Now I got the PS3 Game for free through PS+ and regarding my huge backlog I really question if I should bother with the game. I didn't like the aestethics of the game and these Dystopian und multinational corporations topics are not really interesting for me. I do not think that these game are telling interesting stories. By using your character as a means of immersion you sacrifice a very important thing. A good JRPGs uses the party members to give you different point of views about the underlying moral issue. In that way you get a deeper insight into the topic. Since you often have an opinion about an issue you are somehow "forced" to see the problem from different points of view. That simply leads to more depth...

If I can make choices in the game I will often base them on my opinion and so I can see the game just like I want... But I will not witness a different point of view. In that way I just despise these moral and choice systems in RPGs because they promise to strenghten the game experience while they are actually taking something away for me.

But this are just matters of preference. We should never forget that the US, EU and Japan all have their own cultural backgrounds, storytelling traditions and moral dilemmas. Being from the EU and having grown up with Japanese Game from Square, Capcom and Konami I must say that I still prefer their games form western developers. There are some brillant games like Assassins's Creed 2, Heavy Rain or Heavenly Sword, but most Western games are putting their focus on violence and bloodshedding. In WRPGS you can slaughter civilians in the city... what does this add to the gamea actually?

The cutscenes have a big benefit over the dialogue systems of most WPRGs. The Characters in FF XIII really looked alive. Their animation, their facial expressions... For me they felt human. The dialogue system of WPRGs seems so akward. You have the character on screen and he is moving in an endless pattern. The voice acting doesn't feel real too.

Well, lets end this discussion. We have reached the level of personal taste and we just seem to like different forms of storytelling. I appreciate your point of view, but I lost faith in WPRGs to be immersive for me. I am still unsure what to do with my free copy of Deus EX... I will not renew my PS+ abo and given my backlog of 20 games I think that the year will have passed before I have time to play it.

Around the Network
adriane23 said:
The poor play mechanics of WRPGs (PC RPGs as I like to call them) has always been my major complaint with them. 95% of WRPGs have TERRIBLE battle systems and at least half of them can't even get navigation around the game world correct. It always baffled me how so many people could dismiss this aspect of these games and still consider them great. And don't get me started on the amount of bugs.

Too lazy to type, so just read this again. Also, JRPs have some of the best in-game music in all of gaming, while WRPGs have boring tunes if just no music at all.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Icy-Zone said:
adriane23 said:
The poor play mechanics of WRPGs (PC RPGs as I like to call them) has always been my major complaint with them. 95% of WRPGs have TERRIBLE battle systems and at least half of them can't even get navigation around the game world correct. It always baffled me how so many people could dismiss this aspect of these games and still consider them great. And don't get me started on the amount of bugs.

Too lazy to type, so just read this again. Also, JRPs have some of the best in-game music in all of gaming, while WRPGs have boring tunes if just no music at all.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution's music was pretty acclaimed... as was the original one. Same with the original Mass Effect with it's 80's synth tone.  And there's plenty of JRPG's with bad music. but in general probably.

Icy-Zone said:
adriane23 said:

Wrpg:s have excellent soundtracks, actually anything is better than what 99% of the jrpg games offer. Big eyed little kids whining and music that irritates you at best. I usually play my jrpg:s with sound turned off.

ishiki said:
Icy-Zone said:
adriane23 said:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution's music was pretty acclaimed... as was the original one. Same with the original Mass Effect with it's 80's synth tone.  And there's plenty of JRPG's with bad music. but in general probably.

I see you have Ys in your currently playing list. That series has some of the meanest soundtracks ever. I've never embedded a youtube video before, so here goes nothing.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9tAVUDgAPL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Around the Network
Icy-Zone said:
ishiki said:
Icy-Zone said:
adriane23 said:

I see you have Ys in your currently playing list. That series has some of the meanest soundtracks ever. I've never embedded a youtube video before, so here goes nothing.

The forum doesn't like iframes, there should be a tool for videos at the top, just copy and paste the URL into it.

so what I got from this aritcle-like post is...Khuutra's a fusion of Aku and Twilight Sparkle!!!(man I miss Samurai Jack)

JRPG's have always been my top genre in my gaming collection, my first game I owned was pokemon Red

I do agree with you with WRPG's when the dev's make it to seem like the user has some hindsight or intuition on how the game is played. in my example it was this gen with Mass Effect and Dragon Age, I like the fact hey give you so many thing to do/chose but it sucks balls when your character and or story doesn't result the way you want because my "friendship" wasn't high enough or I didn't do this side quest so I can't get my desired result. I'm like How was I supposed to know that!?

zarx said:
Sometimes I wonder why SE don't just get the Star Wars license

For starters, it's one of the most expensive to acquire, and one of the most rigorously controlled licenses out there. Lucasarts will make damned sure it makes its money, but from the whispers I've heard I believe it may be more profitable for some publishers to devote their resources elsewhere.

arcane_chaos said:

I do agree with you with WRPG's when the dev's make it to seem like the user has some hindsight or intuition on how the game is played. in my example it was this gen with Mass Effect and Dragon Age, I like the fact hey give you so many thing to do/chose but it sucks balls when your character and or story doesn't result the way you want because my "friendship" wasn't high enough or I didn't do this side quest so I can't get my desired result. I'm like How was I supposed to know that!?

Personally I don't mind these moments, since by and large those requirements are at least hinted at by the character at some point (in conversation: "My sister has been kidnapped by slavers. I really can't stand slavers!" *PC joins slaver faction* "I keel u noa slaver"). Moreover, I rather enjoy the feeling that the other characters are at least partly independent of me, and not just puppets there to dance to my tune 24/7.

That said, I thought at first you were getting at how many WRPGs, and especially older CRPGs, start you off by asking you to create your character, including stats and skills, before you've had a chance to know what stats and skills are actually important and which ones are throwaways. Someone once called it "demanding an answer before the question is even asked," and I can't say I disagree!

adriane23 said:
Scoobes said:
adriane23 said:
Scoobes said:
adriane23 said:
gergroy said:
adriane23 said:

interesting, I would say the same about JRPG's.  Especially if you compare recent JRPG's to recent WRPG's it would be the other way around.  

No it wouldn't. Most WRPGs of the past 6 years have generally sloppy play mechanics. The few that do have good gameplay mehcanics are the Mass Effect games, The Witcher games,  and Kingdoms of Amalur. The rest are just content to have you flail your arms wildly with a weapon in your hand.

EDIT: Dragon's Dogma, Demon's Souls, Dark SOuls, and even FFXIII have great play mechanics, because they've been doing that aspect of gaming very well for several decades now.

The only WRPGs this gen that I can think fit that description are Diablo III and possibly Dungeon Siege 3... which is because they're pure hack n' slash. Even the Elder Scrolls games aren't like that.

The Elder Scrolls games are exactly like that, and it was the main WRPG series I was referring to. The gameplay is to basically strafe and swing your sword wildly around or shoot magic. There's no style to the gameplay at all. Pure hack n' slash games like God of War, Bayonetta, DMC, etc. add style to the mindless button mashing. That's not to say that WRPG's are mindless hack n' slash games, but they generally have no aesthetic appeal. Your character basically just does some flimsy looking action at an enemy and numbers show up. 

If you play either Skyrim or Oblivion in the way you described at any normal difficulty then you'd die... a lot. Your descriptions are over simplifying the combat mechanics. In the same vein, I could argue that most JRPGs are just about selecting a menu command which would be grossly ignorant. I suppose your descriptions might be true after you've played and leveled up for ages and made/enchanted your equipment to the point of being godlike. But before that, you have to be careful in the way you engage in combat. It also completely ignores the stealth mechanic which alters the way you approach dungeons/enemies.

I'd also argue that the 3 hack n' slash games you mentioned actually have a lot of depth to their combat then mindless button bashing if played at any difficulty higher then Easy. I say this because I actually enjoy the mindless button bashing/style and have to play on Easy

EDIT: Soooo yeah, there was supposed to be a bunch of text and a Youtube video here.......

Lol, I wondered what had happened!