By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Must see game : ps3's japan savior?

Soriku said:
Enlighten us. You don't even live in Japan. How would you know how fast it is?

well you can create an account for japan,my friend has created one even though hes in america

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Mummelmann said:
Yes, but like I said; ww trends are very different from Japan trends in the prologue/full game ratio, so saying it will sell a lot less ww because of Japan numbers alone seems strange, is all.

This started off when it was listed as a savior for the PS3 IN JAPAN ... My entire argumet was you would probably see it sell at half the rate of Gran Turismo 4 IN JAPAN ...

So you're saying that my argument will workIN JAPAN but may not work elsewhere? And my point doesn't make sense?

For Japan it makes sense, yes. For the world, no. But that doesn't matter if you meant Japan only.

HappySqurriel said:

Japan has a low Broadband adoption rate and expensive dial-up which means that the lost sales were (for the most part) not picked up by downloads.

As of june 2007 Japan has the second highest amount of broadband subcribers in the world behind the US at 27.2 million active broadband subscribers. Japan is 16th in the worlds top 20 countries for household broadband penetration.

Theoretically every single PS3 owner over there could have broadband support.

Kingsora_be said:
I think you guys are forgetting what one game can do. I don't want to fight with Wii fanboys, but I think you guys are forgetting how bad the Wii sold before the release of Wii Fit and Galaxy. There was even a month were the PS3 sold better. November I think. So you see what one game can do for a console.

And that one game that will help the PS3 to compete with the Wi iis going to be MGS4. Why?
1. MGS is big in Japan, not FF big or DQ big but still big
2. It's going to be the first PS3 game which is really fabolous (normally)
3. MGS4 has almost no competition of other PS3 games when it's released.
4. The game is been in the top 5 of Famitsu Most Wanted for a very long time now.

Btw DMC4 is also going to move a lot of consoles, but DMC is not MGS big.
What the? The wii sold bad? Its been topping sales since launch nd the only thing limiting is how many Nintendo can produce. Its never sold bad.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Sony expected 1 GT5:Prologue sale online for every 2 or 3 in retail.

So unless someone has data otherwise i'd suggest using that as the number for projections.

In any case it'd be very unlikely that Sony would understate that number. (or atleast would and then wouldn't mention that downloads outpaced their expectations.)

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
HappySqurriel said:

Japan has a low Broadband adoption rate and expensive dial-up which means that the lost sales were (for the most part) not picked up by downloads.

As of june 2007 Japan has the second highest amount of broadband subcribers in the world behind the US at 27.2 million active broadband subscribers. Japan is 16th in the worlds top 20 countries for household broadband penetration.

Theoretically every single PS3 owner over there could have broadband support.

As I said earlier, Japan's houshold penetration stands at (roughly) 20% and, although you are correct that it is possible that every PS3 owner has broadband, it is highly unlikely that broadband adoption rates are dramatically higher for PS3 owners being that online gaming is not very big in Japan; the reason for this (that I have been told several times) is there has never really been a flat rate dial up internet service in Japan which made online gaming really expensive.

On the topic of the actual game in question. Does anyone know if it has been confirmed that this Valkyrie Battlefield (my apologies for butchering the name...I didn't wanna look it up) is coming to the states or no?

makingmusic476 said:
So is this game a new IP, or is it part of another series?

According to IGN, "An original IP for the PlayStation 3 from key members of the Sakura Taisen development staff, Battle Field Valkyrie combines action, strategy and RPG elements."

Seems like a new IP to me.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Mars said:
Its called FF13

Also White Night and GT5, this thing does not come close to those games.

This game will help, may not hugely boost the PS3 sales in Japan like FFXIII, MGS4, WKC, or GT5, but will keep PS3 selling at a steady pace.

Japanese/Asian gamers are dying to play JRPG on PS3. For the first half of 2008, Valkyrie of The Battlefield, Disgaea 3, or Yakuza will be on their shopping list for sure.

*~Onna76~* said:
Short version: no, long version: no. Folkklore didn't break through Japan either and I doubt this game will do it. Game looks too European. Only 2 games in RPG genre so far announced which can save the PS3 in Japan are White Knight Chronicles and FFXIII but according to that Surfer Girl we can wait for a long while before we'll get to see WKC.

My PS3 is starting to collect dust I'm telling you and as I'm waiting for an US release of Disgaea 3 for instance, the PS3 can continue to collect dust for at least a half year *sigh*.

Welcome back Onna!

This game looks too European? We are talking about Japanese.... Nothing is too Europeanesque for them

Amazon Japan started taking pre-order for this game today. The special edition (priced at 9908 yen, no discount) sold out very quickly. The regular version is also doing very well. This game may be more popular than Disgaea 3. Did you download the trailers and gameplay demo for this game on Japan PSN? After I saw those clips, I fell in love with this game. I think this game would be really great.

For Disgaea 3, why don't yo get the Japanese version? I thought your Japanese handles JRPG very well. It may take 6 month to 1 year for them to release the NA version......