By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Must see game : ps3's japan savior?

@mars

I agree with you 100.%

mM
Around the Network
Mars said:
HappySqurriel said:

I'll explain the relevance of the comparison between Gran Turismo 4: Prologue and Gran Turismo 5: Prologue ...

Gran Turismo 4: Prologue sales were roughly 70% of Gran Turismo 4's sales in Japan, and it is highly likely that a lot of people who bought GT4:Prologue also bought GT4; it is also very likely that people who bought both of these "versions" of Gran Turismo would be the most dedicated fans of the series and the most likely to buy a PS3 to play Gran Turismo 5 on. The fact that Gran Turismo 5: Prologue's sales are so much lower than Gran Turismo 4: Prologue's sales implies to me that we should see a similar drop from Gran Turismo 4 to Gran Turismo 5; if I'm correct and Gran Turismo 5 only sells between 500,000 and 600,000 units in Japan it can't really be classified as that big of a game anymore.

People please read that and dare tell me hes not a delusional fanboy.

Then agian he did say 360 will out sale PS3 2-1 in Europe on xmas 07 so thats how much weight you should put behind any of his posts.

Heres a FACT, YOU have NO CLUE how much GT5p sold through PSN thats just one little fact you omited from your post.

Gran Turismo no longer classified as a big games, ONLY on vg.

So, in a country where 80% of households DO NOT HAVE BROADBAND INTERNET, and most households pay for their dial-up on a minute basis, more people are going to download a multi-gigabyte game over weeks than are just going to walk out to the store and buy it?

It looks quite promising, but I'm not a huge fan of that kind of visuals despite what appears to be good artwork.

HappySqurriel said:
Mars said:
HappySqurriel said:

I'll explain the relevance of the comparison between Gran Turismo 4: Prologue and Gran Turismo 5: Prologue ...

Gran Turismo 4: Prologue sales were roughly 70% of Gran Turismo 4's sales in Japan, and it is highly likely that a lot of people who bought GT4:Prologue also bought GT4; it is also very likely that people who bought both of these "versions" of Gran Turismo would be the most dedicated fans of the series and the most likely to buy a PS3 to play Gran Turismo 5 on. The fact that Gran Turismo 5: Prologue's sales are so much lower than Gran Turismo 4: Prologue's sales implies to me that we should see a similar drop from Gran Turismo 4 to Gran Turismo 5; if I'm correct and Gran Turismo 5 only sells between 500,000 and 600,000 units in Japan it can't really be classified as that big of a game anymore.

Then agian he did say 360 will out sale PS3 2-1 in Europe on xmas 07 so thats how much weight you should put behind any of his posts.

Heres a FACT, YOU have NO CLUE how much GT5p sold through PSN thats just one little fact you omited from your post.

So, in a country where 80% of households DO NOT HAVE BROADBAND INTERNET, and most households pay for their dial-up on a minute basis, more people are going to download a multi-gigabyte game over weeks than are just going to walk out to the store and buy it?

You know how fast the PS STORE is in japan?

mM
leo-j said:
HappySqurriel said:
Mars said:
HappySqurriel said:

On dial up? I don't know ... 56k?

Basically 60 hours for every Gigabyte of data, at even $1 per hour you would end up spending hundreds of dollars to download that game.

Around the Network

@HappySquirrel: You seem strangely nonsensical in your Prologue expectations and ratios compared to your normal self;
The install base of the PS2 was far higher upon GT4 prologue's release than PS3's upon GT5 prologue's release so the comparison seems strangely crooked to me. Also; you mentioned internet connections, remember that a high speed connection is not required or recommended for purchasing GT 5 retail, but buying Prologue off of PSstore is, so one can't neccessarily compare it with that point either.

Edit: GT 4 did a helluva lot more sales than prologue ww anyways, so none of this can really constitute a big drop in franchise sales imo.

Mummelmann said:
@HappySquirrel: You seem strangely nonsensical in your Prologue expectations and ratios compared to your normal self;
The install base of the PS2 was far higher upon GT4 prologue's release than PS3's upon GT5 prologue's release so the comparison seems strangely crooked to me. Also; you mentioned internet connections, remember that a high speed connection is not required or recommended for purchasing GT 5 retail, but buying Prologue off of PSstore is, so one can't neccessarily compare it with that point either.

I'm just trying to point out the obvious, and it is strange that so many people seem so resistant to it ...

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=gran+turismo+4+-+PS2&reg2=Japan&game2=Gran+Turismo+4+Prologue+-+PS2&reg3=Japan&game3=Gran+Turismo+5+Prologue+-+PS3&weeks=100

In Japan Gran Turismo 4:Prologue sold (roughly) 70% of what Gran Turismo 4 sold, and (to date) Gran Turismo 5: Prologue has sold (roughly) 25% of what Gran Turismo 4: Prologue sold; even though Sony fanboys don't like hearing it, it is well known that Japan has a low Broadband adoption rate and expensive dial-up which means that the lost sales were (for the most part) not picked up by downloads.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue is probably the best indicator we have for how well Gran Turismo 5 will sell; which means that it is unrealistic to expect sales above 50% of Gran Turismo 4's sales unless something changes.

This isn't that hard of a concept ...

Certainly, the PS2 had a larger userbase when Gran Turismo 4: Prologue was released but Gran Turismo 4: Prologue also faced far more competition; at the same time, the PS3 will have a drastically smaller userbase when Gran Turismo 5 is released in comparison to Gran Turismo 4 so (once again) Gran Turismo 5: Prologue will be a good indicator on how Gran Turismo 5 will sell (unless there are some drastic changes).

Yes, but like I said; ww trends are very different from Japan trends in the prologue/full game ratio, so saying it will sell a lot less ww because of Japan numbers alone seems strange, is all.

Mummelmann said:
Yes, but like I said; ww trends are very different from Japan trends in the prologue/full game ratio, so saying it will sell a lot less ww because of Japan numbers alone seems strange, is all.

This started off when it was listed as a savior for the PS3 IN JAPAN ... My entire argumet was you would probably see it sell at half the rate of Gran Turismo 4 IN JAPAN ...

So you're saying that my argument will workIN JAPAN but may not work elsewhere? And my point doesn't make sense?

Soriku said:
leo-j said:
HappySqurriel said:
Mars said:
HappySqurriel said:

Enlighten us. You don't even live in Japan. How would you know how fast it is?

Read and consisder yourself enlightened. It should come as no surprise to anyone that the U.S. is behind the curve relative to the many tech developed nations when it comes to network infrastructure on a national level. The U.S. is a very large country. It will take a far greater amount of funds and time to play catch up to more condensed nations like Japan and South Korea.

Cost of 100mbps fiber network access from NTT or Yahoo in Japan? Less than $40/month.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/28/AR2007082801990.html