By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 7 incredible personal stories about Romney that you may not know

-- via TownHall.com

1) Mitt Romney saved the life of a 14 year old girl: Imagine what it would be like if we could have this kind of decisive people-centered leadership in the White House..

In 1998 the 14-year-old daughter of one of Romney's partners at Bain Capital, Robin Gay, had disappeared after attending a rave party in New York City. The distraught father was beside himself with terror of what may have happened to his little girl.

Upon hearing of this, Romney stopped all operations at Bain and flew himself and all of the company's employees to New York to conduct the search. Using his contacts with establishments in New York that did business with Bain and an outlay of cash, Romney led a search for the girl from a command post he had set up in the LaGuardia Marriott that involved a private detective, Bain employees and customers putting up posters, handing out flyers, and interviewing prostitutes, drug addicts, and other street people in New York, and coordination with the New York Police.

A break came, after media publicity of the search, when a teenage boy called a tip line asking if there was a reward. He hung up, but not before the police traced the call to a home in New Jersey. The girl was found in the basement of the house undergoing withdrawals from a hit of ecstasy.

Romney, through his efforts, had saved the girl's life.

Edit:  http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2012/09/25/7_incredible_personal_stories_about_mitt_romney_that_you_may_not_know/page/full/

(Think this should fix your link)

I may not like his politics, but these stories, at the very least, help me to respect him as a person. Some of these actually brought a tear to my eye.

Around the Network

link not coming up. Either way, it's not surprising.

For whatever reason, most Mormons turn out to be ridiculously good guys.

Edit: Fixed it for you.

My favorite:

2) Mitt Romney gave milk to a V.A. hospital

The man lactated for wounded veterans. If that doesn't qualify him to be commander-in-chief, I don't know what does.

Also:

6) Mitt Romney and his sons saved a family and their dog from drowning. (And then he strapped the dog to the roof of his car and drove to Canada.)

I am having trouble believing these stories...

Thanks to whatever mod fixed the link, I was having some rendering issues with the post editor.

Around the Network
badgenome said:

My favorite:

2) Mitt Romney gave milk to a V.A. hospital

The man lactated for wounded veterans. If that doesn't qualify him to be commander-in-chief, I don't know what does.

Also:

6) Mitt Romney and his sons saved a family and their dog from drowning. (And then he strapped the dog to the roof of his car and drove to Canada.)

6) Mitt Romney and his sons saved a family and their dog from drowning. A disappointed Obama, and his daughters, went home hungry.

Most of these stories seemed blown out of proportion. He didn't save the girl's life. She was recovering from ecstasy withdrawals. He might of helped find her but I wouldn't say he saved her life. Apparently, everyone on that boat didn't know how to swim nor did they have life jackets.  Seems pretty reasonable to assume they would have all drowned a few hundred feet from shore if he didn't come to the rescue with his jet skis. He did a few good acts which somehow equates to being a hero. I helped a guy get out of a flipped SUV one time. I would say I helped him not saved his life.

sethnintendo said:

Most of these stories seemed blown out of proportion. He didn't save the girl's life. She was recovering from ecstasy withdrawals. He might of helped find her but I wouldn't say he saved her life. Apparently, everyone on that boat didn't know how to swim nor did they have life jackets.  Seems pretty reasonable to assume they would have all drowned a few hundred feet from shore if he didn't come to the rescue with his jet skis. He did a few good acts which somehow equates to being a hero. I helped a guy get out of a flipped SUV one time. I would say I helped him not saved his life.

The article doesnt go into the details of the gil he saved, but if you look at an article does go into detail, he did save her life.  The girl was having a bad reaction to the ecstacy and if she had been left to her own like she was, she would have died.  

man-bear-pig said:
I am having trouble believing these stories...

How?  They are all pretty well documented and outside of the finding girl story just stories about a guy doing nomal good deeds.  Looking at romneys background and the fact that he was a church leader, it is hard to believe there arent more stories like this, to be honest.

gergroy said:
sethnintendo said:

The article doesnt go into the details of the gil he saved, but if you look at an article does go into detail, he did save her life.  The girl was having a bad reaction to the ecstacy and if she had been left to her own like she was, she would have died.  

You can't die from ecstasy withdrawals.  The main way you die on ecstasy is through dehydration, heat exhaustion, abnormal heart rhythms and liver failure.  I have never taken the drug but just looking up the withdrawal symptoms there is no mention of death.

Symptoms include (in varying severity):

• Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Panic Attacks
  • Insomnia
  • Lack of ones ego (De-personalization)
  • Loss of reality
  • Paranoid Delusions

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_withdrawal_symptoms_of_ecstasy

It isn't like she is withdrawing from a heroin or alcohol addiction which could lead to death.