By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oh boy , IGN is doing another TOP 100 list - TOP 100 RPGS ALL TIME

Tagged games:

do you like this top 100 bs?

no 74 53.24%

yes 46 33.09%

results 18 12.95%

Total:138
Iveyboi said:
Iveyboi said:

I haven't read any of the comments here but my commentary:
#100's-#94 I was like WOW these are all great. Then D3 and Fable 2 came and I was like WTF.
#90 great game. THEN NEW VEGAS WTF. FF9 #88 made me cry. Then a solid list until KINGDOM HEARTS #84 *TEAR*. Then good again for awhile. Witcher 2 as #78 was interesting. Tales of Symphonia deserves higher than #77. The neat choices until #70 Demon's Souls (HMM). KINGDO HEARTS 2 #68 WTF.
The kicker: FINAL FANTASY X #64 = 64!?!?!?!??!?! NO EFFING WAY.
Skies of Arcadia is a TREASURE and shocked to see #63
Then some gems, World Ends and Chrono Cross which should have been higher than the next ones listed until a gem, Tactics Ogre. BUT THEN MONSTER HUNTER TRI GOOD LORD. Next few choices are neat (love Wild Arms & Golden Sun).
Then #47 Xenogears -_- I know that disc 2 was rushed but COME ON
Then some gems again until Xenoblade at #41 which I'm not sure if it deserved to be so high. Then some interesting choices until POKEMON WHITE BLACK = REALLY BOOOO WAY TOO HIGH. Then REALLY good selections until Oblivion (meh).
Never heard of System Shock but sounds cool. DARK SOULS... DARK SOULS WTF IGN NO F'ING WAY. Like Earthbound. Some gems after that Don't know Planescape. KOTOR Beaut. FF7 at #11 = YOU HAVE BALLS IGN! Fallout #3 does not deserve to be as high as #10. Skrim #7 -_- nahhh. Diablo 2 #6 is very deserving. FF4 unexpected but great. I expetced Pokemon Red/Blue to be high and it deserves to be. Haven't played BG2.
SOOO HAPPY TO SEE CHRONO TRIGGER #2! Do you know what, I like the FF6 choice! Kudos

Overall: Great compilation of games. Some bizare positioning but kudos IGN I expected worse!

Edit: Where is Lost Odyssey, MAYBE Blue Dragon?

Edit #2: Should have formatted better haha

Xenoblade deserved to be much higher.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

Slimebeast.

Did you just say Baldur's Gate and Diablo are over-rated?

At least they actually work, for the most part. A quality product > half arsed broken product.

Golden Sun should be higher.
Final fantasy VI on first is very well deserved!
I'm glad that a JRPG got to be first.

Well FF6 and Chrono Trigger are my fave 2 games of all time, so no complaints here...

i think the list is ok but talking about western rpg's i think kotor should be better than mass effect and fallout 3. kotor is legendary!

Around the Network

Ugh... I was really digging the list until the top twenty. The biggest frustrations for me were the fact that Final Fantasy VII wasn't even in the top 10 (let alone 5), Final Fantasy IV should not have made the list (the game is quite possibly the worst rpg I've ever played), and Final Fantasy VI should not have even been in the top 50, but the bottom 50.

The lack of Dragon Quest IX is really bothersome. While not my personal favorite, it is technically the best Dragon Quest and should have made the top twenty, but it is entirely absent. Final Fantasy XII, a game I personally do not like, but have to admit is very well made and a great game for those interested in its style, wasn't present either, when it should probably have been in the top 50.

Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy, while being classics, shouldn't have made the list. This is the top 100, not the most innovative. In fact, if you want innovative, why weren't Dragon Warrior III or Dragon Warrior II on the list? In Japan, Dragon Quest II came out way before the first Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest III came out just over a month later. The two games missing that should have been on the list were actually Dragon Warrior IV and Final Fantasy III, the epitome of NES rpgs... both amazing games with Dragon Warrior IV edging ahead, and I would replace Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior with them.

Another note would be the lack of Birth by Sleep, despite the fact that it is plain and simple superior to Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, or the lack of Golden Sun: The Lost Age, which is vastly superior to the original Golden Sun.

Lastly... Earthbound. The game is fun, but it is essentially an inferior Dragon Quest. The fact that it is higher than all of the Dragon Quests on the list is very disturbing. The game is great, but it isn't that great.

Ultimately, the worst taste in my mouth has to be Final Fantasy IV being at number 5. To each their own, but I'll never understand how anyone could appreciate that mess.

Boutros said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Anyone consider the possibility for FF XIII or XIII-2 being #1?

I believe this list was made for the sole purpose of not including FFXIII/FFXIII-2.

Indeed. It's retro-trolling to grab some hits. Must be a slow September for them.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I also had the faintest hope that Fallout 3 wouldn't be on the list.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Skyrim only at #7? This list is a joke.

Diablo in the Top20 and DiabloII even in the Top10, but Fallout 2 and Deus Ex not in them, Ultima Underworld even out of the Top30 and The Witcher 1 completely out of the list is a sacrilege.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!