By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: The Next Gen Doesn't Start With Wii U

Mr Khan said:

The Dreamcast came out well when the 5th-gen heavyweights were still in their prime (part of the console's problem), yet it is indisputably part of gen 6. 3DO had the same thing going for it. I mean, Saturn, PlayStation, and Jaguar followed only a year later, it was only Nintendo that was sluggish getting into the 5th generation (due in part to the PS fiasco, no doubt)

Case in point. It's all arbitrary.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Mr Khan said:

The Dreamcast came out well when the 5th-gen heavyweights were still in their prime (part of the console's problem), yet it is indisputably part of gen 6. 3DO had the same thing going for it. I mean, Saturn, PlayStation, and Jaguar followed only a year later, it was only Nintendo that was sluggish getting into the 5th generation (due in part to the PS fiasco, no doubt)

Case in point. It's all arbitrary.

Often it feels like we're speaking different languages, only partially comprehending one another

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

happydolphin said:
Flanneryaug said:
The Wii U is next gen because it is the first console in a new generation of consoles. Better graphics don't mean next gen.

What makes it a new generation, simply because its coming out after the Wii and is made by Nintendo? Then the 3DO was what gen 4?

I think you guys don't realize that the chronological definition fails without the idea of technological disparity injected into it.

So, if the Wii U was 10 times as powerful as the 720 or PS4 would that make it a 9th generation console? No, it would still be an eigth generation console, because it would be coming out in the eigth generation.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

happydolphin said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

I will keep this one shorter. Nintendo showed that interface is as viable an option for generational leaps as graphics and processing. They nailed this point home even further by releasing, "old" hardware with technological innovation expressly on interface. That is a generational leap. It is NOT a traditional generational leap, but it ABSOLUTELY is a generational leap. You are arguing it is not a generational leap despite them proving so to both Sony, Microsoft, themselves, and every one of the 95+ million buyers.

What they put on display was that you can add all the power you want, but a generational leap can now be defined distinctly in TWO SEPERATE ways (if necessary). That is where we differ on opinion. You see generational as something tied to graphics, but as I put on display, new ways to interact (even with those new graphics) are just as much generational leaps. Nintendo took this to thee extreme, but they nailed that point home this console generation.

I understand all your points. The concepts you're discussing are not related to anything that was bound by technological limitations. The ideas are all that was missing. But as we know from the motion controls of the Wii, a new console was not required for them, since Nintendo was going to tack them onto the gamecube, and Sony and MS have both successfully tacked them on to their consoles.

Once again, at the root, gens find their purpose in the need to upgrade a piece of tech due to advancements that were not possible before, for more reasons than "we haven't started R&D yet", if you know what I mean. Not a complex topic, to be sure.

... ... ... ...

You pretty much avoided everything I said... or worse, you acknowledged it passively then tried to stress your, "point"

Funny not found. Ahhh, forget it, why am I arguing with someone that does not see Wii as a current gen console?

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

To translate what Capcom was really saying:

"Although Nintendo is releasing the Wii U this year Capcom is not ready to transition all of our development resources toward next generation consoles"

Another way to look at it is Capcom is essentially validating Nintendo's strategy because they want to transition to producing more games at a lower budget and are not ready for high-performance next generation hardware.

Around the Network
Flanneryaug said:
happydolphin said:
Flanneryaug said:
The Wii U is next gen because it is the first console in a new generation of consoles. Better graphics don't mean next gen.

What makes it a new generation, simply because its coming out after the Wii and is made by Nintendo? Then the 3DO was what gen 4?

I think you guys don't realize that the chronological definition fails without the idea of technological disparity injected into it.

So, if the Wii U was 10 times as powerful as the 720 or PS4 would that make it a 9th generation console? No, it would still be an eigth generation console, because it would be coming out in the eigth generation.

I think yours is a really a good point. If the PS4 is 10 times more powerful than the PS3 it makes it a next generation system (8th). So we can say that if Apple or Valve launch a System the same day that the PS4 comes out, and that system is 10 times more powerful than the PS4, it woud be a 9th generation system?

happydolphin said:

But your argument is a stretch in the definition of a generation, and as far as I'm concerned history has dictated the need for new consoles due to hardware limitations. The rest is adaptation.

If computer technology sees an end to Moores Law, we will see no new generation following your definition. Only one new current-gen console after the other.

Also talking about hardware-limitations - obviously the following machines were also restricted in hardware, because they are followed by another. Not the limitations are the reason for a new gen. Only because technology evolved, the machine is able for more.

If your theory would be true, and the new gen is needed because game-creators are restricted by specs - why do we see at the start of a gen the same games? Only after some time we see evolved games that are able to do more with the hardware. That looks more like the game-creators adapt to the new possibilities of the hardware, instead the hardware adapts to the needs of the game-creators.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

kitler53 said:

maybe from your perspective.

from a developer perspective system specifications is the most important factor.  software is created with a "minimum system requirements".   you'll find this for every PC game ever.  here's just one example for WoW: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/minimum-system-requirements-for-world-of-warcraft

if your hardware doesn't meet the minimum requirements your hardware doesn't run the program.  timing of when the hardware released is a non-factor.

I said compete in the same market. Does a netbook compete with a $1000-gaming-PC?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

MDMAlliance said:
the_dengle said:
MANUELF said:
I though it started with the 3DS

I got a kick out of this, despite the fact that it's technically correct. It's hard to think of 3DS games as corresponding to PS4 games. Like... New Super 2 is an eighth-gen platformer. Weird.

The 3DS is a "next-gen console," yes.  However, it's not in "correspondance" to PS4/720/WiiU due to the fact that generations of gaming are separated by home console and handheld console.  They tend to start at different times and feature different kinds of games.

Yes, because they are in different markets. The 3DS does compete with the Vita but not with PS3 or PS4.

So you people claiming that a gen is defined by technology are basically saying that Sony never had a gen-6-console because PS2 was gen 5? Xbox won gen 6. What breathtaking news.