By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo should sue $ony and Micro$oft for Achievements/Trophies $ystem

Tagged games:

What do you think of this atrocity?

Nintendo should sue them 17 23.29%

Nintendo should bring the... 35 47.95%

I Nintendon't want this 19 26.03%

Total:71

Oh, that's where the red coins came from... sweet game!

Nintendo picks their battles wisely and a lawsuit against Micro$oft and $ony would result in useless spending and possibly counter suits... Both those companies have more piss away money!!

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:

I hear nintendo built the first pit in the world

No. Nintendo created the whole universe. They gave life to all things. Go and hail them.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

BasilZero said:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Bros._Deluxe#Awards

Nintendo had an awards system which gave gamers awards for completing certain tasks within the game: $uper Mario Bros. Deluxe

This is similar to $ony's Trophy system and Micro$oft's Achivement system, Nintendo should sue these two evil corporations just like Apple is suing the evil $am$ung.

Anyways, you should also check out the game itself:

uhmmm....

Carl2291 said:
This is ironic, because 2D sidescrolling Mario is actually a cheap rip-off of Pit Fall.

Pitfall came out in 1982, Donkey Kong came out in 1981. There wasn't really any mechanic in Pitfall common to Super Mario Bros. which wasn't already present in Donkey Kong.

With that said; achievements are a gimmick; essentially they are just trying to artificially inflate the value of content by getting people to do random worthless tasks for absolutely no purpose.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

rofl, I really can't take this thread seriously...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Around the Network
happydolphin said:

You make it sound as if Nintendo never created anything new. On the topic, I find Mario is the first real sidescroller.

Another thing, it's not because a company follows another company in innovation that it's copying. A company would be copying when it's essentially taking everything another company has done and recreating the same thing with maybe a different solution. It's not the same as Kinect versus Wii for example, where MS actually did something new. kudos Sony right?

They did, they just didnt create the 2D Platformer.

Kinect isnt akin to Wii, its more akin to EyeToy... Which was also a copy.

Jumpin, read the thread. DK wasnt original.

Carl2291 said:

They did, they just didnt create the 2D Platformer.

Kinect isnt akin to Wii, its more akin to EyeToy... Which was also a copy.

Jumpin, read the thread. DK wasnt original.

Oh, okay. I never thought they did either.

Kinect still had the option of copying the Wii after its success or not, and instead chose to go its own route. To copy the Eye Toy really wasn't the point I don't think. There only so much you can envision when it comes to motion controls, only so many different solutions to one same problem. Well, in the end I guess that supports your point, that there wasn't much to not copy so we can't blame one person or the other. However Microsoft's solution really pushed the eyetoy further, we can't really say the same about the Move. But in the end, it all really doesn't matter what matters is that they all tried to make the best solution for consumers, and we will never know if Sony just put in the minimal effort to ride Nintendo's success by completely ripping it off, or if they actually tried to go a step further. And had they done that, would that have appeased the fans who are sensitive to this kind of thing? It all depends but my guess would be not. The Kinect really didn't hit that nerve, but a Move+ would still have hit the same nerve.

Mario Bros Deluxe obviously copied the 360 achievements. Nintendo used the Virtual Boy to look into the future to steal ideas from competitors.

ToraReaper said:
Mario Bros Deluxe obviously copied the 360 achievements. Nintendo used the Virtual Boy to look into the future to steal ideas from competitors.

This litterally made me laugh. Good stuff man :]

happydolphin said:
Carl2291 said:

I said 2D SIDESCROLLING.

DK was actually a ripoff of Space Panic, it just added the jump technique. A bit like PSABR, mimicing Smash Bros but adding its own stuff.

This industry is filled with liars, cheaters and whores!

You make it sound as if Nintendo never created anything new. On the topic, I find Mario is the first real sidescroller.

Another thing, it's not because a company follows another company in innovation that it's copying. A company would be copying when it's essentially taking everything another company has done and recreating the same thing with maybe a different solution. It's not the same as Kinect versus Wii for example, where MS actually did something new. kudos Sony right?

There were plenty of sidescrollers before nintendo did it. The first sidescrolling platformer was jump bug:

Pac-land also came out before super mario bros. The similarities between the two might surprise some people.

OT: as someone already stated achievements were something activision came up with on the 2600:

http://2600connection.atari.org/faq/activision_patches/patches_2600.html