By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo should sue $ony and Micro$oft for Achievements/Trophies $ystem

Tagged games:

What do you think of this atrocity?

Nintendo should sue them 17 23.29%

Nintendo should bring the... 35 47.95%

I Nintendon't want this 19 26.03%

Total:71
binary solo said:
Ratchet and Clank on PS2 had trophies, so Insomniac should sue Sony...errr.

Sony's defence would be that multiplats had Achievements on PC/360 versions and 3rd parties wanted to be able to use that functionality, which was already part of a game's design on PS3 to improve saleability of their games, so Sony put in place an optional trophy system because of demand. They made it sufficiently different to avoid legal infringements and let people implement or not. Then Sony discovered that games sell better with trophies because for some unknown reason gamers like trophy whoring, so they decided it's best for every game to have them. So Sony didn't copy, Sony was forced into adopting something they thought was fairly pointless.

And I agree, trophies / achievements are pretty pointless, even though I'm a bit of a trophy hound (but only mildly so) I wouldn't care if trophies / achievements never existed. I wouldn't even care if trophies / achievements became a thing of the past for next gen. But they won't.

i find them motivating something.  in some games i'll just ignore them but in other games they are great.  they get me to play side missions i might not have played otherwise, or have a different take on gameplay when the trophies are like "do without getting hit" or whatever.  lastly, for games the don't really end, getting that plat adds a sense of finality.  

i dunno, i'm not the biggest trophy whore but i miss them when they aren't there.  it would be nice if next gen they add some pointless swag though to them though.  avatars and themes and other game related artworks to help display (brag) about the trophies i do get.

Around the Network

This forum tis a silly place.

Good work.

slowmo said:
You can only sue if it breaches your copyright. Pretty sure Nintendo didnt patent a system wide achievement system. Microsoft should have though.

Copyright =/= Patent

A copyright is a claim of ownership to a work of art, such as a document, book, painting, photo, music, lyrics, recorded performance, script, drawing, or film.  You cannot patent art.

A patent is a claim of ownership of a unique idea or scientific discovery. 

kitler53 said:
d21lewis said:
sub-zero-TM said:
Oh my god this is goddamn hilarious! yeah sure Nintendo invented everything i mean they created this f*cking planet right? LMAO

Nintendo created a planet similar to this planet about three years before this planet came to be.  It only had a north pole and three oceans but you could easily see where Earth got its inspiration.

personally i prefer the planet sony created.  4 poles, 12 oceans, and no earthquakes!                

(you can't put rumble into a moving planet)

That's only because earthquakes are so last era!

Signature goes here!

Adinnieken said:
slowmo said:
You can only sue if it breaches your copyright. Pretty sure Nintendo didnt patent a system wide achievement system. Microsoft should have though.

Copyright =/= Patent

A copyright is a claim of ownership to a work of art, such as a document, book, painting, photo, music, lyrics, recorded performance, script, drawing, or film.  You cannot patent art.

A patent is a claim of ownership of a unique idea or scientific discovery. 

Of course I never said that but thanks.  

If your company is called Apple it seems you can patent appearance/art which kind of makes you wrong...

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
A$$le There you go OP, I know you wanted to add dollar signs to apple's name too :)

I think the proper spelling is ₳₱₱₤€.

Austral, Peso, Peso, Lira, Euro

Carl2291 said:
S.Peelman said:
Carl2291 said:
This is ironic, because 2D sidescrolling Mario is actually a cheap rip-off of Pit Fall.

Duh, people already jumped over barrels over a year earlier in Donkey Kong! Pitfall! is nothing new. -.-

I said 2D SIDESCROLLING.

DK was actually a ripoff of Space Panic, it just added the jump technique. A bit like PSABR, mimicing Smash Bros but adding its own stuff.

This industry is filled with liars, cheaters and whores!

You make it sound as if Nintendo never created anything new. On the topic, I find Mario is the first real sidescroller.

Another thing, it's not because a company follows another company in innovation that it's copying. A company would be copying when it's essentially taking everything another company has done and recreating the same thing with maybe a different solution. It's not the same as Kinect versus Wii for example, where MS actually did something new. kudos Sony right?

I think Insomniac Games should sue Nintendo, because they had in-game achievements in the first Ratchet & Clank (came out in 2002)

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

RolStoppable said:
Carl2291 said:

I said 2D SIDESCROLLING.

DK was actually a ripoff of Space Panic, it just added the jump technique. A bit like PSABR, mimicing Smash Bros but adding its own stuff.

This industry is filled with liars, cheaters and whores!

Pitfall wasn't a sidescroller. What you are saying is the equivalent of saying a horse is a car, because both have horsepower.

Id call it one, despite not really "scrolling", so to say. Its essentially the same except its from one screen to another, instead of one long level. If that wouldnt be allowed, Id say Pac Land. Another sidescrolling platformer that came before SMB.

RolStoppable said:
JOKA_ said:
I think Insomniac Games should sue Nintendo, because they had in-game achievements in the first Ratchet & Clank (came out in 2002)

Insomniac already did that since Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer.

Insomniac should sue Insomniac then.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League