By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Games that sell (on) handhelds: Let's stop beating around the bush

The types of games that sell well on handheld are traditional style video-games; rather than the computer-style or Arcade-style games.

This includes traditional style RPGs like Dragon Quest, Pokemon, and others; traditional platformers like Castlevania, Mario, Mega Man, and Sonic; etc...

What is big on PS3 and such right now are the genres that are more traditional to PC-style games; like PC-style RPGs, PC style shooters, PC style action games (essentially all games that feature someone with a gun).

As for the PSP, it sold largely based on its portable media features; but since Smartphones have that covered, it is not a selling point for the Playtation Vista.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy once was a handheld seller, it sold Wonderswans.

Today, my guess is Final Fantasy X HD will push a few Vitas. Uncharted GA sold very well considering the Vita fanbase, and I have no doubt that LBP for Vita will push HW, as will PS All-Stars. How much HW, I don't know. Comparable to 3DS, I don't think so not even a chance.

For PSP, Monster Hunter Freedom sold HW units in japan. Many other jrpgs when looked at together pushed many units. In the west, GTA and other western 3rd party games pushed the console.

On Nintendo's end, it's all too easy. Pokemon, NSMB, Brain Training, Nintendogs all once were system sellers. Of those now only Pokemon, NSMB and other main Mario games, and Mario Kart sell like they did last gen, they still push HW. It's my understanding that DQIX and games like FFIII remake pushed consoles into gamers hands as well, depending on the region (DQ in japan, FFIII in the US and japan).

happydolphin said:

Today, my guess is Final Fantasy X HD will push a few Vitas. Uncharted GA sold very well considering the Vita fanbase, and I have no doubt that LBP for Vita will push HW, as will PS All-Stars.

Do you think that Final Fantasy X can sell handhelds, like Final Fantasy I-IV?
And the Uncharted GA sales: Official Vita Thread posts ratio is very low (5:1)...

Nintendo handheld games sell best, yes, but there are other 3rd party franchises that can sell half as well. Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto for example.

this is something I find very easy to agree with, but incredible difficult to give a shit about :/, you see that's my problem, finding out why I should give a shit, I'd pay for someone to answer that....

*back to Gravity Rush*

Around the Network
logic56 said:

this is something I find very easy to agree with, but incredible difficult to give a shit about :/, you see that's my problem, finding out why I should give a shit, I'd pay for someone to answer that....

*back to Gravity Rush*

It's pretty straightforward. Since you have little logic, you come to a  video game sales forum and post in a thread about system sellers asking other posters why you don't give a shit. If you had logic you would behave in one of these behaviors:

1) You visit a video game sales site and enter a thread on system sellers because it interests you.

2) You don't enter a video game sales site and don't enter a thread on system sellers because it doesn't interest you.

So it all boils down to you having basically no logic.

Nintendo games top both the new and used games market. Simply the best!

theprof00 said:
Nintendo games top both the new and used games market. Simply the best!

Haha...and pirated, probably.

Player2 said:
happydolphin said:

Today, my guess is Final Fantasy X HD will push a few Vitas. Uncharted GA sold very well considering the Vita fanbase, and I have no doubt that LBP for Vita will push HW, as will PS All-Stars.

Do you think that Final Fantasy X can sell handhelds, like Final Fantasy I-IV?
And the Uncharted GA sales: Official Vita Thread posts ratio is very low (5:1)...

5:1 is a similar tie ratio that NSMB has on its platform. I don't see the problem with FFX as well.

It seems that Vita still needs Nintendo going third party.