By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Games that sell (on) handhelds: Let's stop beating around the bush

Kynes said:
It seems that Vita still needs Nintendo going third party.

To be fair, the 10-year plan Sony laid out for themselves in 2003 was probably banking on Nintendo going third-party before 2010.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Player2 said:
happydolphin said:

Final Fantasy once was a handheld seller, it sold Wonderswans.

Today, my guess is Final Fantasy X HD will push a few Vitas. Uncharted GA sold very well considering the Vita fanbase, and I have no doubt that LBP for Vita will push HW, as will PS All-Stars.

Do you think that Final Fantasy X can sell handhelds, like Final Fantasy I-IV?
And the Uncharted GA sales: Official Vita Thread posts ratio is very low (5:1)...

5:1 is a similar tie ratio that NSMB has on its platform. I don't see the problem with FFX as well.

Please read the words in italics in your post and in my reply. Hint: fanbase=/=userbase
Final Fantasy X will sell on name, but the first Final Fantasies not only sold on name, they were good handheld games. How so? Think about the strong points of these games.

logic56 said:

this is something I find very easy to agree with, but incredible difficult to give a shit about :/, you see that's my problem, finding out why I should give a shit, I'd pay for someone to answer that....

*back to Gravity Rush*

Then why would you enter this thread? Perhaps a better question: Why would you post in this thread? Do you always post in threads that you don't care about?

Player2 said:

Please read the words in italics in your post and in my reply. Hint: fanbase=/=userbase
Final Fantasy X will sell on name, but the first Final Fantasies not only sold on name, they were good handheld games. How so? Think about the strong points of these games.

The fanbase tie ratio (which you have no actual data for, unless you really counted the thousands of posts in that thread) is nearly identical to the userbase tie ratio so what's your point?

Regarding Final Fantasy, I fail to see the difference, care to explain.

happydolphin said:
Player2 said:

The fanbase tie ratio (which you have no actual data for, unless you really counted the thousands of posts in that thread) is nearly identical to the userbase tie ratio so what's your point?

You are the one that brought the fanbase tie ratio (without any data), not me: "Uncharted GA sold very well considering the Vita fanbase". I tried to come up with some (obviously flawed) numbers about this using the number of posts in that thread just to have some fun.

Just to clarify things: I was serious in the first sentence and I wasn't in the second.

And Final Fantasy X strong points are its graphics, music, cutscenes, presentation, etc. Final Fantasy IV have the same strong points? I don't think so.

Around the Network
Player2 said:
happydolphin said:
Player2 said:

You are the one that brought the fanbase tie ratio (without any data), not me: "Uncharted GA sold very well considering the Vita fanbase". I tried to come up with some (obviously flawed) numbers about this using the number of posts in that thread just to have some fun.

Just to clarify things: I was serious in the first sentence and I wasn't in the second.

And Final Fantasy X strong points are its graphics, music, cutscenes, presentation, etc. Final Fantasy IV have the same strong points? I don't think so.

How old are you? At the time it came out, FFIV had some of the best graphics of its time. FFIII was re-released in 3D for a handheld, that was a big graphical upgrade, much like FFX is being HD-ized for the Vita, despite not being up to par with the top games graphically speaking on PS3.

For fanbase, the metric I was using was total HW sales. So the final metric of my statement was SW tie ratio.

happydolphin said:

For fanbase, the metric I was using was total HW sales. So the final metric of my statement was SW tie ratio.

Then say userbase, every owner of a system is not a fan :P

And with Final Fantasy X the problem is the next one:

If the quality of the gaming is tied to the elements I said earlier, when you put the same game in a small screen, with small speakers, and an idiot near you talking with somebody else with his cellphone then the quality of the gaming decreases.

FF IV doesn't have that problem because what makes FF IV a good game is what you do in the game, not what you see or hear (even if it does have good graphics).

Yes, what I'm saying is that good graphics, music... don't sell handheld games (or handhelds). Anybody who wants good graphics will buy a home console (or a PC).

Player2 said:

FF IV doesn't have that problem because what makes FF IV a good game is what you do in the game, not what you see or hear (even if it does have good graphics).

Yes, what I'm saying is that good graphics, music... don't sell handheld games (or handhelds). Anybody who wants good graphics will buy a home console (or a PC).

I find FFIV has some of the best graphics and music of any game I've ever played. Put that in your pipe player2.

happydolphin said:
Player2 said:

I find FFIV has some of the best graphics and music of any game I've ever played. Put that in your pipe player2.

I never said that FF IV have bad graphics or music. I said that even without the graphics or music it is worth playing it. However, I can't say the same about FF X.

Player2 said:

I never said that FF IV have bad graphics or music. I said that even without the graphics or music it is worth playing it. However, I can't say the same about FF X.

Let's shake hands and agree to disagree my bubbly friend.