By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is PS All Stars going to be a huge flop in America? (dismal pre-orders) UPDATE: Yep, it's a huge flop.

Tagged games:

Dgc1808 said:
Tridrakious said:
VGKing said:
VgChartz pre-order data isn't very accurate......but yeah it does give us an idea of how it is doing and it's not very good.

It needs some exciting character reveals like Cloud or Sephiroth. Who the hell wants Parappa the Rapper anyway?

Just throwing this out there, but I'm glad Sony is pulling from the obscure PlayStation games. This is a fan service game.

Parappa won't be what people buy this game for, but he is part of PlayStation history and I for one will buy it because it is showing me that SuperBot is actually making a game for the PlayStation fans.

On another note: Parappa has actually been well recieved. People complained that Spike isn't well known, Big Daddy doesn't belong, Sly is broken, what's the point of Fat Princess, Dante's emo, but almost all comments about Parappa from fans has been very positive.

Superbot should have told Capcom "give us the cool dante and not the strung-out heroin addict, or he's not in."

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:
PlayStation All-Stars will be fine and from what I've played (in beta) there is still room for improvement. However, the mechanics are there. This is one of those games that Sony will market and up to now the characters have been low tier to mid tier character announcements.

Wait for Nathan Drake is the only character that could be argued as a high tier character to sell the game alone. Big Daddy isn't exactly a high tier caliber character.

We're closing in on the big character announcements.

What about Kratos?

4 ≈ One

I know I aint buying it

logic56 said:
I know I aint buying it

Why not?

man-bear-pig said:
logic56 said:
I know I aint buying it

Why not?

looks like shit

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Tridrakious said:
PlayStation All-Stars will be fine and from what I've played (in beta) there is still room for improvement. However, the mechanics are there. This is one of those games that Sony will market and up to now the characters have been low tier to mid tier character announcements.

Wait for Nathan Drake is the only character that could be argued as a high tier character to sell the game alone. Big Daddy isn't exactly a high tier caliber character.

What about Kratos?

Kratos can be argued as a high tier character. His first PSP title sold over 2 million units, but unfortunately his second outing (while countless times better) didn't sell too well.

Although I'm sure he is selling this game to countless people. I just think that some of Sony's characters need a break once this game comes out. Over-exposure can kill characters.

man-bear-pig said:
logic56 said:
I know I aint buying it

Why not?

Will you buy it?

I think they should push the Smash Bros. inspiration a bit further and do a Smash Dojo type site where they reveal a bit of info on the game characters, mechanics, items, supers and modes everyday.

Signature goes here!

Bristow9091 said:
Tridrakious said:
Dgc1808 said:
Tridrakious said:

What about Kratos?

Kratos can be argued as a high tier character. His first PSP title sold over 2 million units, but unfortunately his second outing (while countless times better) didn't sell too well.

Although I'm sure he is selling this game to countless people. I just think that some of Sony's characters need a break once this game comes out. Over-exposure can kill characters.

Tell that to Mario...

you can´t compare that to Mario. Super Mario is the face of the Videogame industry. I am not a big fan but he is immortal

o_O.Q said:
freebs2 said:
It's going to flop. Just like LBP Karting.
Sony PR has spent years telling their fanbase how an Hardcore game should be: cinematic, realistic-looking, adult or epic and badass, heavy on storytelling.
At the same time they went on calling the competition childish or casual.
Now it will be hard for them to convince fans to buy a game without any of the mentioned qualities, that blatantly copies competiton.
Not to mention Smash Bros is just too good, those who have played it enough and love it, have probably just bought a Wii already to play it (since it's not very expansive). Those who don't know it or don't like it have no reason to be attracted to the game.

so i'm guessing that according to you sony has only released games so far that fit into those categories?

Absolutely no but, with the exception of LBP, these are the only type of games Sony has tryed to push with big budgets, talented teams and marketing. 

In fact every other 1st party retail game that doesn't fit those categories has not been a great success. The other exception is R&C which is stayed afloat thanks to its fanbase, established during the Ps2 times, that kept it alive.

Obviosly I'm not talking about their policy in general, I'm talking about their policy with the Ps3, expecially in the early years. During the Ps1 and the Ps2 days Sony acted as a talent scout for studios with good ideas and financed them. So, in the end, developers were the ones who defined the Ps1 and Ps2 gaming experience. In that kind of gaming enviroment every kind of game had a chance of success, in fact looking at top sellers you could see Crash Bandicoot side by side with Metal Gear Solid or GTA side by side with Final fantasy.

With the Ps3 Sony has changed its approach. They tried to route gaming, or better their first party offering into a certain direction;  the message you could read between the lines dirung presentations and conferences looking at pre-rendered Killzone, Uncharted, MGS4 (and later GOW and Heavy rain) was "Ps3 is the console for cinema-like game experiences". Even the characters used in the "Playstation 3" logo are the same used in "Spider Man" movie (which was bundled right after launch not by coincidence). When you bring on these kind of messages, you will surely have an impact on how the userbase will value gaming experinces, in other words if you have bought the Ps3 for cinema-like experiences, you will expect from Ps3 games, expecially 1st party games,  cinema-like gaming experiences. In this kind of enviroment party games or arcade multiplayer games such as All-Star Battle Royale or Mod Nation or Twisted Metal will likely be devaluated.