By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is PS All Stars going to be a huge flop in America? (dismal pre-orders) UPDATE: Yep, it's a huge flop.

Tagged games:

There are two things that I really think hurt this game

1) The characters aren't that well know. A large chunk of Nintendo's characters have been in so many games, and have been around for so long, that everyone knows who they are. You could probably walk into regions of the world that have never had electricity and show them a picture of Mario and have a decent likelihood that people would recognise him.

2) One of the biggest appeals of Smash Bros. has always been the silliness of it. Few of the characters are the kinds of characters you would expect to see in a fighting game. In contrast almost half of the characters in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale could easily be used in a game like Soul Calibur or Tekken as a bonus character.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
HappySqurriel said:
Boutros said:

Are you guys totally ignoring the fact that a game like Madworld has been 5$ forever now and is the cheapest Wii game around because it was massively overshipped and got most of its sales from discounted units? They said it themselves that the game's sales disappointed.

I guess we could call NMH a neutral success but so should be considered Twisted Metal no?

And give Lollipop Chainsaw a month or two and it will pass No More Heroes.

Madworld is kind of an "odd duck" though ...

It was a short and repetitive game that would have been better digitally distributed and sold at a relatively low price.

That kind of applies to every Platinum Games though except Bayonetta. Vanquish was very short and very repetitive. It's a better game than Madworld because the gameplay was awesome but ultimately it wasn't really worth 60$ for the amount of content.

Anarchy Reigns is also looking like a short game but since it's up for pre-orders for 30$ I guess they realized it too lol

I wasn't (necessarily) saying that short games were a bad thing, just that they're probably better suited to be released at $20 in a digital format ...

In fact, many of the "failed" Wii games (Madworld and No More Heroes comes to mind) would probably have done better if they were designed to be 8 hours of pure fun sold at $20 through Wiiware than sold as full priced retail games.

man-bear-pig said:

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3) added 1,139 pre-orders for a total of 16,696" - Source

I'm making this thread because in VGChartz latest pre-order article it was revealed that PS All Stars only has 16,696 pre-orders, meaning that Who wants to be a millionaire: 1st edition (Wii) and Transformers: fall of Cyberteon (X360) have more pre-orders in the USA than it. I find this shocking! I havent been following the pre-order chart for a while, so when i started to watch it again a few weeks ago I was expecting a game like PS All Stars to have about 50k pre-orders at the absolute minimum, but 16,696 seems incredibly low.

Is it gonna be a huge flop? Will pre-orders pick up rapidly in the coming weeks? What's going on?!

I think with clever marketing it will sell. To the younger demographic at least. That is if all the kids havent bought Xbox's because Black Ops 2 comes out the week before the release and Halo 4 the week before that.

Edit: All in all i believe Battle Royale 2 will be better... 

Boutros said:
Kasz216 said:
Boutros said:
lilbroex said:
Boutros said:
turtuls said:
What kind of flop? We talking a Starhawk type flop or a Twisted Metal type flop?

No More Heroes kind of flop.

No more heroes was a hit. It was grasshopper manufactures biggest selling game ever followed by NMH2.

Only their 360/PS3 titles flopped.

Yeah right lol

And Madworld was a huge hit. 0.70 million ZOMG

Boutrous, you've been around long enough to know better.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9773629&postcount=165

No more Heroes sold so high over expecations on the Wii that Marvelous threw a party in honor of the game selling so above expectations.

No More heroes shot WAY above initial publisher expectations.

Suda games have always been super cheap cult games.

As I have said I guess NMH was a neutral success but you seem to forget the rant Suda had about third-party games on the Wii in Japan and how he was disappointed with the sales over there. I guess it ended having great legs worldwide but again legs aren't the most profitable outcome. Still we all know it was probably a satisfying success because he did make a sequel for it. Anyway we all knew at the time that the Wii wasn't the right platform for NMH and it's undeniable it would have sold more on HD consoles especially on the PS3 in Japan.

That's kind of off-topic though lol

He was disapointed with it in Japan, yet world wide it was huge for them... and not due to legs.  Afterall the party was thrown due to initial sales numbers.

It was far more then a "neutral success".

He's cranky about the Japanese numbers because he was at a grand opening that ended up having no sales.

The international sales more then made up for it.  They had to raise sales expectations from the outset.

If it wasn't, it would of never been ported.

Deoz said:
Pimp3k said:

I don't think that game will flop. Will it sell 4 million copies? Hardly. I think it'll sell around 1 million - 1,5 million, and I think that's OK for the "new" IP and a genre that is pretty much dominated by bigger names Tekken, MK, Capcom's IP's, KOF....

Pretty much the ones who dominate are only capcom and Tekken nowdays, Mk to some extent but giving the evo entreis is starting to decay. The others like KoF, Blazblue, soulcalibur find it hard to rach the 1M these days amny of them havent. Even sfxT got it hard.

The success of this game will depend entirely on how it's advertised, either a paty game or fightinggame.

For Soul Calibur's part, i think part of the problem was that SCV was a game that nobody asked for. All i heard about it was that the new cast's stories were disappointing, and that they weren't adequate replacements for the old folks.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
phenom08 said:
@Boutros And it was released for HD platforms, and did worse so what's your point.

Seriously?

yes seriously

VGKing said:
VgChartz pre-order data isn't very accurate......but yeah it does give us an idea of how it is doing and it's not very good.

It needs some exciting character reveals like Cloud or Sephiroth. Who the hell wants Parappa the Rapper anyway?

Just throwing this out there, but I'm glad Sony is pulling from the obscure PlayStation games. This is a fan service game.

Parappa won't be what people buy this game for, but he is part of PlayStation history and I for one will buy it because it is showing me that SuperBot is actually making a game for the PlayStation fans.

Tridrakious said:
VGKing said:
VgChartz pre-order data isn't very accurate......but yeah it does give us an idea of how it is doing and it's not very good.

It needs some exciting character reveals like Cloud or Sephiroth. Who the hell wants Parappa the Rapper anyway?

Just throwing this out there, but I'm glad Sony is pulling from the obscure PlayStation games. This is a fan service game.

Parappa won't be what people buy this game for, but he is part of PlayStation history and I for one will buy it because it is showing me that SuperBot is actually making a game for the PlayStation fans.

On another note: Parappa has actually been well recieved. People complained that Spike isn't well known, Big Daddy doesn't belong, Sly is broken, what's the point of Fat Princess, Dante's emo, but almost all comments about Parappa from fans has been very positive.

4 ≈ One

From what I hear its the little things like no knock back KO and not knowing points until the end of the game that is discouraging preorders.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
From what I hear its the little things like no knock back KO and not knowing points until the end of the game that is discouraging preorders.

The bolded...is a VERY good thing and I hope they don't change that.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!