By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is PS All Stars going to be a huge flop in America? (dismal pre-orders) UPDATE: Yep, it's a huge flop.

Tagged games:

freebs2 said:

Uncharted, GOW, Heavy Rain are undoubtebly cinematic games, where presentation and story-telling are a main factor.

Killzone2, the first presented Ps3 flagship title, while being a more "regular" FPS was presented like a cinematic experience too. During the e3 2005 presentation, the famous pre-rendered trailer had a huge impact on the media at the time. The video wasn't showing gameplay elements and wasn't showing online features, it was all about a cinematic experince. Even if later the game shaped out more like a Gears style FPS, it's main differentiation factor from competition was still presentation and graphics, as opposed to competitors like Halo or Gears were the main differentiation factor was online play.

Infamous, while it can't be described as a cinematic experience is still a game where story-telling plays an important part.

If you look at present time The Last Of Us, Beyond Two Souls, GOW IV are still cinematic experiences.

Now that doesn't mean SCE only makes cinematic games, but Imo their main focus on cinematic games is quite clear. They have their most talented studios making them, and the best engines, the best media coverage. At same time, different kind of games like Mod Nation or Playstation Move Heroes or Sorcery are made with small smaller budgets by less talented teams. In the past SCE used to have their best studios making also multiplayer arcade games, NaughtyDog made CTR. Now SCE is restructuring, and by doing so they're choosing to close down studios who aren't developing cinematic games if you look at it. Bigbig studio and Studio Liverpool, Japan studio is not closing down but it looks like they're restructuring it too. 

Gran Turismo doesn't really count I'm talking about the Ps3 era, GT is a legacy franchise, it's only logical SCE will continue to produce it and it will remain a flagship title. Nintendo's main focus with the wii was motion controls, yet they made a 2D Mario and that's the biggest Nintendo franchise while it doesn't fall into the motion control category.

alongside the cinematic experiences you mentioned there have always been non-cinematic experiences like motorstorm, lbp, warhawk, gran turismo etc that i'd say in most cases were pushed just as hard

you mentioned the killzone 2 trailer, well alongside that games like warhawk and resistance fom were also revealed

where only a trailer was shown for kilzone 2, a gameplay demo of warhawk demonstrating the six axis tilting was demonstrated

"their most talented studios making them"

imo thats subjecive

"the best engines"

as expected from cinematic games

"the best media coverage"
can't say i agree with that honestly

"Now SCE is restructuring, and by doing so they're choosing to close down studios who aren't developing cinematic games if you look at it."

and they have also bought media molecule and sucker punch and also opened superbot, all studios that so far have not made cinematic experiences

" Gran Turismo doesn't really count I'm talking about the Ps3 era, GT is a legacy franchise"

so were GoW and killzone which you mentioned before

Around the Network

I just got to play PSASBR today. Loved it! Great game, diverse deep move sets. It felt great as a brawler and I think everyone should just ignore a lot of the criticism it has been getting because it is a lot of fun and I have no idea what those people are talking about. I will be getting this game and so should you.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Chark said:
I just got to play PSASBR today. Loved it! Great game, diverse deep move sets. It felt great as a brawler and I think everyone should just ignore a lot of the criticism it has been getting because it is a lot of fun and I have no idea what those people are talking about. I will be getting this game and so should you.

It's a clone of The Outfoxies so Namco fans are really upset about Sony copying the game.

A massive flop? No. Disappointing sales? Yep.

It'll reach 1mil, maybe 1.25. By itself, it's not bad. But it's direct competitor will have outsold it by nearly 10:1, in that regards, its a failures

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Tridrakious said:
Dgc1808 said:
Tridrakious said:
PlayStation All-Stars will be fine and from what I've played (in beta) there is still room for improvement. However, the mechanics are there. This is one of those games that Sony will market and up to now the characters have been low tier to mid tier character announcements.

Wait for Nathan Drake is the only character that could be argued as a high tier character to sell the game alone. Big Daddy isn't exactly a high tier caliber character.

We're closing in on the big character announcements.

What about Kratos?

Kratos can be argued as a high tier character. His first PSP title sold over 2 million units, but unfortunately his second outing (while countless times better) didn't sell too well.

Although I'm sure he is selling this game to countless people. I just think that some of Sony's characters need a break once this game comes out. Over-exposure can kill characters.

I'm a Sony fanboy and I've never liked God of War.  Not even when it was first released on the PS2.  To me it's pretty garbage, but the reason why the second God of War game on the PSP didn't sell well isn't because people didn't want to play another God of War.  It's because everyone and their grandmother had a CFW PSP.  If  given the chance to pirate, the thieving 75-80% of the gaming community will do so.

I may not have liked it, but it didn't sell as well as it should have thanks to how bad the piracy has got before the release of the game.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

I'm a Sony fanboy and I've never liked God of War.  Not even when it was first released on the PS2.  To me it's pretty garbage, but the reason why the second God of War game on the PSP didn't sell well isn't because people didn't want to play another God of War.  It's because everyone and their grandmother had a CFW PSP.  If  given the chance to pirate, the thieving 75-80% of the gaming community will do so.

I may not have liked it, but it didn't sell as well as it should have thanks to how bad the piracy has got before the release of the game.

No, people just didn't want the game. PSP software sales dwindled because people lost interest in PSP.

PS3, 360, and Wii games are pirated much more than PSP games. Yet they maintain stronger sales than PSP ever had.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
kupomogli said:

No, people just didn't want the game. PSP software sales dwindled because people lost interest in PSP.

PS3, 360, and Wii games are pirated much more than PSP games. Yet they maintain stronger sales than PSP ever had.

Yes, it's true that people didn't want that game on PSP, but it's also true that PSP is one of the most pirated console right now.

I don't know anyone who don't have their PSP pirated.

Conegamer said:

It'll reach 1mil, maybe 1.25. By itself, it's not bad. But it's direct competitor will have outsold it by nearly 10:1, in that regards, its a failures

Well, comparing it with one successful game, as SSBB is, is unfair!

I believe that with bundling it could arrive at 2.5 milion, which is a good point for a new IP.

Tridrakious said:
I actually think that Mario's "selling power" is dropping. His games have legs, but looking at the 3DS there are now 5 retail release titles that pull from the Mario universe and I see only 2 of them really lasting, but are still less than a year old.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 slowly crossed a million in sales. Add to that the average scores it is getting.

However, that is a different discussion for a different thread. Kratos is a high tier character, but outside of Nathan Drake, the first party stable of characters that have been announced haven't had a strong release prior to this games release.

Sackboy is what Sony wants to be the mascot of PlayStation, but his selling power will be determined with the release of LittleBigPlanet Karting.

About Mario's "selling power" I would say to wait for the holiday season.

Kinneas14 said:
Conegamer said:

Well, comparing it with one successful game, as SSBB is, is unfair!

I believe that with bundling it could arrive at 2.5 milion, which is a good point for a new IP.

I agree completely, it will be highly successful for Sony and a new IP, byr 2.5 is a bit high (but feasible). People will, however, draw the comparison with SSB, no matter how fair. Same with Vita against 3DS, IPhone against Galaxy etc. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.