By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Mario need to be so kiddy?

Tagged games:

Does this makes sense?

It's true. 42 36.52%

It's not so true. 71 61.74%

Total:113
Xxain said:
Euphoria14 said:
Xxain said:
I cant tell whats worse: Graphics or Story whores. I dont understand the need for the cosmetics. I didnt even know ppl played Mario for story.

Whats worse are people who think that just because someone like me favors story, music and good graphics it paints me out to that guy who has something wrong with him. 

Since when did everyone else become so high and mighty and believe that their preferences are end all be all for gaming?

In this field. It does come off as strange. I think that if I was enlightened on the importance of them I would be more understanding. LIke NSMBW is a fun entertaining game to play. Now if story was automatically injected into it..what would change? Same with graphics..what happens?

I was commenting mainly because your comment came across to me as if to say you thought gaming for storylines and nice graphics is inherently wrong. If I misunderstood you then I apologize.

As for the storylines, don't they have the Paper Mario games? Don't care for them much though, I want a game that plays more like SMRPG. Story, graphics, good music, it was awesome. Instantly sold on a WiiU if the showed that. All it would need is remote play.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
happydolphin said:

The last paragraph is one that troubles me the most and I'll tell you why. Mario is a character that represents the company as a whole. It's the icon of the company, and close enough to being the icon of the industry. Should a character with such a great reflection convey vaccuity? Or should he convey emotion? I believe emotion.

When Super Mario offers themes that are limited to children, it alienates the folks who are older who would also like to enjoy it. As such, many in this thread say it is the example of a game that is not age restrictive, but it is the exact opposite, it restricts to kids. On the flipside, nothing in Disney movies makes me, as an adult, and as a child in the past, want to shut it off. Rather, I want to stay and watch it.

That's the all-encompassing quality a Mario game should have, as the icon of Nintendo. Anything else would be selling it short, to make a pun. ;)

To be honest, I think Mario has grown/evolved enough that it doesnt matter how old you are, like your example with Disney, I think more people see Mario as iconic as a Disney character/movie.

Dont forget the fact that Mario has grown beyond the Platformer genre as well (i.e. RPG, Racing, Sports, etc).

I think by that fact alone Mario is...well bigger than life (imo).

Edit: Though it would be nice to see some emotion, but I think the part of the reason why they dont show much is well because he is silent o.o.?

Edit: I'm pretty sure if someone mentions mario anywhere in the world, they'll know who people are talking about, if you mention Fire Emblem, Golden Sun or some other Nintendo title (other than pokemon, Donkey Kong or Zelda) they'll probably scratch their heads.

Nope, Twilight Princess, Super Metroid and Shadow of the Colossus mostly disagree.

If Mario was larger than life, people life Euphoria would still be playing. Something alienated him like it alienated me. Something's missing.

BasilZero said:
Euphoria14 said:
Xxain said:

In this field. It does come off as strange. I think that if I was enlightened on the importance of them I would be more understanding. LIke NSMBW is a fun entertaining game to play. Now if story was automatically injected into it..what would change? Same with graphics..what happens?

I was commenting mainly because your comment came across to me as if to say you thought gaming for storylines and nice graphics is inherently wrong. If I misunderstood you then I apologize.

As for the storylines, don't they have the Paper Mario games? Don't care for them much though, I want a game that plays more like SMRPG. Story, graphics, good music, it was awesome. Instantly sold on a WiiU if the showed that. All it would need is remote play.

Paper Mario series is ok , not as refined as SMRPG imo but that is probably because I'm more of a old school RPG player.

Also what do you mean by remote play...?

No special WiiU pad inputs, just the basic console controls with the game being entirely displayed on the pad's screen.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Exactly how serious, gritty and straight laced can a game about a plumber fighting a dinosaur turtle to save a princess of sentient mushrooms be?

The repeated plot over and over again more or less intentionally made the series more cartoony as bowser went from "Serious thread" in the first one, to ineffectual and jealous as shown by more and more failures...

and ESPECIALLY established by Mario RPG.

Essentially the repeated nature of the series established that this is some kind of "working norm".

Also... if such a thing bothers you... that's really more of a personal issue, then universally alienating

To quote CS Lewis.

“Critics who treat ‘adult’ as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Mario Sunshine is the only truly 'kiddy' Mario game to me. And the irony is it holds that title because they tried to listen to people who said it needed to grow up a bit.

They added voice acting, which is a popular request in Nintendo games amongst 'mature' types, and it was some of the worst voice acting seen since the CD-i era.

They added depth to the story, but it was utter nonsense. Plot twist, Peach is Bowser Jr's mother! Apparently she forgot that she gave birth to a koopa. You'd think that's the kind of thing that someone would remember, but there we go.

All that was scaled back in the Galaxy games, and then scaled back even further in 3D Land.

VGChartz

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Exactly how serious, gritty and straight laced can a game about a plumber fighting a dinosaur turtle to save a princess of sentient mushrooms be?

The repeated plot over and over again more or less intentionally made the series more cartoony as bowser went from "Serious thread" in the first one, to ineffectual and jealous as shown by more and more failures...

and ESPECIALLY established by Mario RPG.

Essentially the repeated nature of the series established that this is some kind of "working norm".

Also... if such a thing bothers you... that's really more of a personal issue, then universally alienating

To quote CS Lewis.

“Critics who treat ‘adult’ as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Great post, but I will turn C.S. Lewis on the head to prove my point. Did he ever considered children as vastly different than adults in that they could just no comprehend adult concepts?

The children in Narnia couldn't understand why adults concerned themselves with needless things. That would be the likes of the pulp we are fed like the GoW games or the Batman and X-men craze and reboots, ad nauseam. I'm not talking about that adult. I'm talking about adult that children and adults alike can enjoy, case in point, like Chronicles of Narnia, an excellent example.

This isn't just personal opinion, I know there are others who feel as I do about Mario.

milkyjoe said:
Mario Sunshine is the only truly 'kiddy' Mario game to me. And the irony is it holds that title because they tried to listen to people who said it needed to grow up a bit.

They added voice acting, which is a popular request in Nintendo games amongst 'mature' types, and it was some of the worst voice acting seen since the CD-i era.

They added depth to the story, but it was utter nonsense. Plot twist, Peach is Bowser Jr's mother! Apparently she forgot that she gave birth to a koopa. You'd think that's the kind of thing that someone would remember, but there we go.

All that was scaled back in the Galaxy games, and then scaled back even further in 3D Land.

Sheer incompetence, as it were, imho... :( That's what I'm talking about, good post.

I find it ironic that a lot of adults play Mario and a lot of kids play Call of duty :)

It's somewhat difficult to compare games and movies and they're rarely compared. Nintendo's main focus is their gameplay experience, not storyline where as movies is strictly focused on emotional experience.

So, it's a comparison of physical gameplay experience vs emotional attachments. They certainly have overlapping gray areas where they can naturally meet but hardly with Nintendo since they have no real focus on storyline.

Could happen with a good collaboration, but that's actually where Nintendo's magic comes in. It's a hook and bait strategy that eventually develops into nostalgia. Some moves on, but majority stay with them. It's a slick process actually.

BasilZero said:
happydolphin said:
milkyjoe said:

Sheer incompetence, as it were, imho... :( That's what I'm talking about, good post.

For some reason I cant find his post but I could of sworn that Bowser said at the end of Super Mario Sunshine that he lied to Bowser Jr. to motivate him and Bowser Jr himself admitted that he knew it was a lie

@Peach being his mother I mean.

P.S. The thing I found kiddy and hated it was Bowser's voice, it was pure garbage, glad they made him mute (in terms of voice in later games).

Yeah, I know that, but we were expected to believe it for a sizeable chunk of the game.

Those kind of plotlines are only plausible to begin with when there's a doubt over the father. A woman knows when she's given birth to something, be it human, mushroom, or koopa.

VGChartz