By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's find out whether PSASBR is a rip-off or not.

zimbawawa said:
TheFallen said:
zimbawawa said:
Meh, how about, will it sell as much?

Yeah because the best games always sell the most right?

Sales figures are factual and not influence by opinion.

Factual of what? Quality? The only fact it proves is that it SOLD more. Nothing else.

Around the Network
TheFallen said:
zimbawawa said:
TheFallen said:
zimbawawa said:
Meh, how about, will it sell as much?

Yeah because the best games always sell the most right?

Sales figures are factual and not influence by opinion.

Factual of what? Quality? The only fact it proves is that it SOLD more. Nothing else.

Sales=God on this website sadly, the more you sell, the more awesome you are, no exception.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

d21lewis said:

Quoted for Exposure

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Blacksaber said:
Kantor said:

A rip-off? No. It just so happens that Brawl's genre has been largely ignored by other companies because they don't have enough mascot characters (Ubisoft or EA might be able to manage it as well).

-They went to great pains to completely change the scoring system
-There are multiple levels of finisher
-I don't believe it has any of the minigames (could be wrong here)

It's certainly inspired and heavily influenced by Smash Bros. But it's no more a Smash Bros clone than Dawn of War is a Starcraft clone or Call of Duty is a Wolfenstein 3D clone.

To those calling it a clone: what could they have done, within the genre, to make it any more different from Smash Bros?

Nudity, they could of given each character options to be naked, think about it a battle between nude Fat Princess, Sweet Tooth, Heihachi and Big Daddy everything out in the open now that's somthing different from Smash.

So they could make it less of a rip-off by allowing you to rip off a character's clothing?

Not bad.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

If SSB wasn't a successful franchise, Playstation All Stars wouldn't exist. It may be a good game, but I really have a problem with a company blatantly copying a game that another developer worked very hard on for years, just to make some easy money.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Blacksaber said:
Kantor said:

A rip-off? No. It just so happens that Brawl's genre has been largely ignored by other companies because they don't have enough mascot characters (Ubisoft or EA might be able to manage it as well).

It's certainly inspired and heavily influenced by Smash Bros. But it's no more a Smash Bros clone than Dawn of War is a Starcraft clone or Call of Duty is a Wolfenstein 3D clone.

To those calling it a clone: what could they have done, within the genre, to make it any more different from Smash Bros?

Nudity, they could of given each character options to be naked, think about it a battle between nude Fat Princess, Sweet Tooth, Heihachi and Big Daddy everything out in the open now that's somthing different from Smash.

So they could make it less of a rip-off by allowing you to rip off a character's clothing?

Not bad.

But then they would be stealing the idea from a anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZEVXpHVEaw

Former something....

Flanneryaug said:
If SSB wasn't a successful franchise, Playstation All Stars wouldn't exist. It may be a good game, but I really have a problem with a company blatantly copying a game that another developer worked very hard on for years, just to make some easy money.

Did you complain when Battlefield was announced on the back of COD?

Did you complain when Shift came on the back of FORZA and GT?

How about almost any beat-em-up on the back of Street Fighter?

Hey, remember that time you complained about Final Fantasy on the back of Zelda?

Kantor said:

I completely disagree.  But first of all to the other posters: I love how the defenders get all snarky instead of actually trying to discredit the rip-off statements.

The part where people say that if PSABR is a rip-off off smash than every shooter is a rip-off of wolfenstein is insane. Plain insane. Pointing at things and shooting them is a staple of the FPS genre. It's like I would say that Smash is a rip-off of Street Fighter because you punch and kick things. That's totally asinine. PSABR and Smash share way way more similarities than just the basic characteristics of a genre. This is at least Uncharted <--> Adventurer territory.

I also disagree with the statement that they completely changed the scoring system because they really didn't and funnily enough, keeping point based scoring goes against the very name the game carries. The basic idea of Battle Royale from ancient Rome is having more than 2 Gladiators fight each other until all but one are dead. So why are there respawns? Give everyone a healthbar and let them fight it out Last Man Standing style. If you go by the interpretion of the WWE, Smash Brothers is actually closer to a Battle Royale than PSABR itself because you score points by getting your enemies out of the ring. Like I said they didn't not completely change the scoring system, you are still accumulating points over a fixed time frame, just the means to obtain these points was slightly altered.

It's not my job to come up for a fresh idea for this kind of game but it was clearly also not the developers job to do so. It's a rip-off alright.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

If Smash Bros is the original Star Wars movie, than PSASBR just might be The Black Hole. This isn't an insult. The Black Hole was a pretty good movie made by a really big company (Disney). Sony is a big company...

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Chandler said:
Kantor said:

I completely disagree.  But first of all to the other posters: I love how the defenders get all snarky instead of actually trying to discredit the rip-off statements.

The part where people say that if PSABR is a rip-off off smash than every shooter is a rip-off of wolfenstein is insane. Plain insane. Pointing at things and shooting them is a staple of the FPS genre. It's like I would say that Smash is a rip-off of Street Fighter because you punch and kick things. That's totally asinine. PSABR and Smash share way way more similarities than just the basic characteristics of a genre. This is at least Uncharted <--> Adventurer territory.

I also disagree with the statement that they completely changed the scoring system because they really didn't and funnily enough, keeping point based scoring goes against the very name the game carries. The basic idea of Battle Royale from ancient Rome is having more than 2 Gladiators fight each other until all but one are dead. So why are there respawns? Give everyone a healthbar and let them fight it out Last Man Standing style. If you go by the interpretion of the WWE, Smash Brothers is actually closer to a Battle Royale than PSABR itself because you score points by getting your enemies out of the ring. Like I said they didn't not completely change the scoring system, you are still accumulating points over a fixed time frame, just the means to obtain these points was slightly altered.

It's not my job to come up for a fresh idea for this kind of game but it was clearly also not the developers job to do so. It's a rip-off alright.

A subgenre rather than a genre. Perhaps a better example is Battlefield 3 not being a ripoff of Modern Warfare 2. Both modern era FPS. Both involve fighting similar enemies. Both rely heavily on their online component. And yet they are different.

The system you are describing would be a copy of Smash Bros, because Brawl at least is Last Man Standing. The score is kept, but doesn't mean anything. Perhaps there are other game modes that I haven't played. In PSASBR, the focus is on getting special attacks, where those are just an added bonus in Smash Bros.

There is demand for a game similar to Smash Bros amongst the PlayStation fanbase, and Sony would be foolish not to capitalise on that. There is only so much you can actually change a mascot brawler, and I think they've done a pretty good job of it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective