By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's find out whether PSASBR is a rip-off or not.

Ajescent said:
Flanneryaug said:
If SSB wasn't a successful franchise, Playstation All Stars wouldn't exist. It may be a good game, but I really have a problem with a company blatantly copying a game that another developer worked very hard on for years, just to make some easy money.

Did you complain when Battlefield was announced on the back of COD?

Did you complain when Shift came on the back of FORZA and GT?

How about almost any beat-em-up on the back of Street Fighter?

Hey, remember that time you complained about Final Fantasy on the back of Zelda?

The difference is that those games are part of different genres, shooters, racing, and fighting. If they made a 3D fighting game with Sony characters(which would make more sense since most of these characters are from 3D games) almost no one would be complaining. The fact is that they had a Wii in their office for a reason, to copy SSBB as much as possible. The only thing they changed is the characters and the way you kill other players. They didn't even change the colors for the icon above the characters.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Around the Network
Galaki said:
Ajescent said:
Galaki said:
The problem isn't that it is an imitation. The problem is that the denial of imitation.

The Devs admit freely they were inspired by smash brothers, what more do you want from them, a public hanging?

I didn't say the devs were the problem.

No one is denying that this game wouldn't exist if Smash didn't. Nintendo are the ones that actually made it clear that this style of gameplay can be successful. There have been a number of games similar to Smash. A few have even pointed out some that game before the first smash. It's not SONY fans shouting that Smash should be the end-all-be-all of this genre though. 

Also, it's one thing to say that a game is inspired by, takes hints from, improves upon, looks similar to, etc. and no one is going to argue against that when it comes to this game and Smash. It's the same case for Okami and LegendofZelda, Call of Duty and Wolfenstein, Uncharted and Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden, the list goes on. "Rip-Off" implies Dante's Inferno to God of War level imitation which just isn't the case with All-Stars and Smash but Nintendo fans seem to want to believe this no matter what.

4 ≈ One

Train wreck said:
JazzB1987 said:
Turkish said:
Its a ripoff the same way CoD and BF is a ripoff from the first shooter: wolfenstein.

Dont matter though, since All Stars plays so much better than Brawl in the beta.

After witnessing how many PRO SONY threads you created and what 99% of the stuff you say is about I will be sure to take your  PSASBR plays better than SSBB with at least a whole  universe of salt.

At least write  /end of troll  after your sentences  because  newcomers to this site might think you really mean the stuff you say.

for me psasbr is a ripoff because of the already stated reasons   +  Whats the game without all the third party characters?  Nothing.  They "leak" information all the time not because of stupid employees  but becaue they know  ALOT OF (not ALL) of their fans hype the games all the time so they keep "leaking" stuff by purpose.

So whats the difference of him being pro sony and you being anti-?

So whats the difference of him being pro sony and you saying I am anti?  (What I just said makes no sense at all  same goes for your comment)

Who said I am anti sony?  I am totally ANTI BLIND fans.  (you should try not to jump to conclusions my friend)

Just to help you realize that I'm not really anti-sony.

Chandler said:
Destructoid gets ignored because it's a piece of shit garbage site that always goes where the most controversy is because being the Armond White of video games is a massive cash generator. Also, those who are in the Beta have a certain interest in this game succeeding because they are most likely Sony fans if they have gone through the trouble of signing up for a beta. The average run of the mill joe schmoe does not participate in betas. It's the same with Kid Icarus and Gravity Rush, where both camps would SWEAR that those games are legitimate games of the forever and ever.

There were sign ups for this beta? Huh... I must of missed them... You know I'm still trying to figure out how I got that random LBPK beta invite and I couldn't give two shakes about that game.

4 ≈ One

Flanneryaug said:
Ajescent said:
Flanneryaug said:
If SSB wasn't a successful franchise, Playstation All Stars wouldn't exist. It may be a good game, but I really have a problem with a company blatantly copying a game that another developer worked very hard on for years, just to make some easy money.

Hey, remember that time you complained about Final Fantasy on the back of Zelda?

The difference is that those games are part of different genres, shooters, racing, and fighting. If they made a 3D fighting game with Sony characters(which would make more sense since most of these characters are from 3D games) almost no one would be complaining. The fact is that they had a Wii in their office for a reason, to copy SSBB as much as possible. The only thing they changed is the characters and the way you kill other players. They didn't even change the colors for the icon above the characters.

I maintain that free-all is a (sub)-genre in its own right. Smash is not the only example in said genre, it's the best many would argue but not the only one.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Flanneryaug said:
Ajescent said:
Flanneryaug said:

So... what you're saying is that it only matters because it's a 2D 4-way fighting game with mascots? NOONE can make one of those without it being labelled a blatant rip-off with no originalty?

Cause seriously, the day that Nintendo makes a 3D fighter I want fields of "Nintendo rips of VirtuaFighter/Tekken/DoA/etc." threads. Fields.

EDIT: The reason that Wii was in the office has been discussed to death. Almost the entire development team for this game is a bunch of fighting game fanatics. They like brawl... and a bunch of other fighting games.  They don't wanna hide that at all.

And why change the color of the icons above a character? Should they all be purple? You know how hard it would to find your character sometimes with out that? Are you really gonna flag them for using the elements of Smash that make 100% sense and would be stupid to not use? You realize this is like saying lets make our large scale team shooter different by not using voice chat or a mini-map? You realize this entire paragraph will be all questions? What makes more sense than 3 primary colors and 1 secondary color (the one that looks least similar to the primaries used to create it)? Does nintendo have some special patent on use of the colors red, blue, yellow and green in a fighting game?

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
Flanneryaug said:
Ajescent said:
Flanneryaug said:

So... what you're saying is that it only matters because it's a 2D 4-way fighting game with mascots? NOONE can make one of those without it being labelled a blatant rip-off with no originalty?

Cause seriously, the day that Nintendo makes a 3D fighter I want fields of "Nintendo rips of VirtuaFighter/Tekken/DoA/etc." threads. Fields.

Good luck with that

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Its a rip off
none can deny that

d21lewis said:

I came here to type words to this effect, but this picture does a much better job of it.

I actually like the Smash style of fighting games over the button smashing Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc.. Sure you can do combos and "skilled" moves in those games but a button smasher still has a chance of winning. In a Smash style fighting game a button smasher would get their ass kicked. Newbies stand a chance against a pro in the traditional fighting games but they stand no chance against a pro in a Smash like fighting game. So I am all for more fighting games based off this style. It was a given that Sony was probably going to do something like this eventually.