By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of the things that I believed collapsed the Final Fantasy franchise - Music

Go on youtube and look at some old Final Fantasy game soundtracks (I - IX), you can't help but crack a smile when some of those original scores bring back all those fond memories of fighting your way thorugh cave fill monsters, or watching a companion sacrifice themself for you. These were some of the greatest and most intense music being played on a game, even starting from the beginning on Final Fantasy I from the opening sequence to even a random song like Matoya's Cave.

In my opinion music is part of what made Final Fantasy so great, it intensified the gameplay and even helps bring the story together. When FFX hit, they had a couple memorial hit's but nothing to great, then everything just went downhill with X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2. Maybe it's just me because I really enjoy a good soundtrack in a game and it can sometimes make or break a game if it bores me to much.

Around the Network

This same thing ruined Skyward Sword...

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I completely agree gilgamesh.

Its hard to cope without Nobue Uematsu. He really makes quality work.

Music is actually a business where i think the advancement of technology was actually detrimental to the appearance of new good music. Adding more music channels was a terrible idea as our brain cant really pay atention to all of them. If you listen to music from the 16/32 bit eras you will see that the music sounds so much clearer compared to the themes on todays games.

Too complex = bad in music.

I'm still waiting for composers to realise that...

i disagree with what you said about Final Fantasy X

FFX had THE BEST soundtrack of all FF games IMO.

i find myself listening to FFXs music way more than any other

You're right.

Around the Network

Really? I'd say voice acting and overuse of cutscenes. Back on the PS1, but PS2 was good as well, the games were text based capturing the imagination your mind creates while reading. That's why the book is always better than the movie, why people on forums exaggerate the emotions in your posts, why you develop unique tones and voices to characters you read about.

I'd bet there are three highlights of dissapointment in FF XIII that all FF fans sharred. The moment you exit Cacoon to the outside world and figure out it's still linear, when you are on the airship and start text dialogue conversations to never experience that again, and when you find the robot sidequest just to realize it's the only one outside of hunting.

I have never been trolled by a game so hard.

EDIT: Just to make this clear I'm not leaving out NES and SNES, it's just PS1 started the 3D versions of FF and since then something was lost as they pushed towards higher end 3D graphics.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

No.

(Okay, never mind that last one.)

Come on now, is this a troll thread ? Some of you in your attempt to appear proper old school or whatever, just keep on looking for excuses to bitch about stuff. STOP BEING SO CHILDISH ! The music went dowhill with XII ?!

best FF battle theme: FF XII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AwbsQi-nk

second best FF battle theme: FF XIII Defiers Of Fate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xYeOY_6b3M

Chark said:
 I have never been trolled by a game so hard.

So you were trolled because the game was neither Skyrim nor a book ?!

I swear a developer would go mental reading all this.

I consider FF XII's ost to be the most grand and epic one. An unmatched masterpiece.

I don't know about you, but I think Final Fantasy is really good.
Maybe it's because FF XIII was my first one.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash