By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 - Time for a Redesigned Controller At Long Last?

Should the Playstation Controller

be completely redesigned? 91 23.88%

be slightly updated? 206 54.07%

left exactly the way it is? 81 21.26%

Total:378

For 3 generations of game consoles, more than a decade and a half, Sony stuck with identically shaped conrollers. The only major change was the addition of 2 analog sticks in 1997; since then its shape (not function) has remained nearly identical.
Personally, I'm fine with the basic shape of the controller, but I've never been a fan of the d-pad (which was given its shape because back in the 1990s Nintendo held a (now expired) patent on cross-shaped d-pads). It's uncomfortable to use and hurts your thumb after extended play. For this reason, I've been using d-pad covers for years. I'd like for Sony to finally wake up in this regard and at least redesign the d-pad to be more ergonomic, preferrably like the one Sega Saturn had (aka. the best d-pad ever made):

Furthermore, I'd like triggers more closely resembling the ones of Sega Dreamcast and Xbox 360.

What about you? Think it's time for a change?

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

Yeah, the current one is very outdated, and it doesnt complement the shape of the hand. A more curved one like the SEGA one you posted or an Xbox 360 one would be better.

Whats wrong with the Dualshock?

I like the PS3's controller a bit more than 360 controller and definitely don't hope they make it similar to the 360 controller.

I would rather they make a different design that doesn't resemble 360's design.

The image I used actually is an official Sega Saturn pad for PS2. Other than the addition of a select button it's identical to the original Japanese Sega Saturn controller. This is THE best pad ever made for 2D games like fighters, platformers, shooters etc.

BTW, one thing I like about the dual shock pad is the placement of the analog sticks; the way they are placed on 360 makes no sense. The 360 controller also has one of the worst d-pads in the history of gaming.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

Around the Network

Ps vita or a vita like controller should be the next controller for ps4. If they gave it the right software to interact with ps4 like a tablet it would be an unbeatable combo.

I don't want a complete redesign at all. Just some improvements to the sticks and the R/L2 buttons and I'm good to go

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
I don't want a complete redesign at all. Just some improvements to the sticks and the R/L2 buttons and I'm good to go

Don't forget the d-pad.

But yeah, I agree. No need to re-invent the wheel. Just address the obvious flaws.

Damnyouall said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Don't forget the d-pad. :D

oh yes. all they need to do is add the vita's Dpad to the next controller and BOOM! imho vita has the best Dpad at the moment..soo good

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I just want them to change the left and right triggers and make them more like the xbox 360 ones

The Elder Srolls V : Skyrim