By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - No Hope for the Dark Knight Rises domestic Box office (450 million tops)!

Will The Dark Knight Rises cross the $1B mark?

Yes 22 66.67%

No 9 27.27%

It will do the impossible... 2 6.06%

Total:33

I think the tragedy in Aurora indeed affected the box office. I live all the way here in Ecuador, South America and my girlfriend was afraid that something bad could happen in the midnight opening in our town, I know its dumb but people got scared specially in NA.

Anyway I never thought it would made more money than Avengers I just wanted a great film and that it could be financially succesful enough to keep Nolan making films without sacrificing his artistic integrity (thanks god he didn't made TDKR in annoying 3D) and thats what I got.

Around the Network

A lot of people doubted that The Hunger Games would make it past $400 million domestically also but it had strong legs and still will increase its domestic total for a couple more weeks.

Panama said:
Too many flaws with the plot, dialogue and direction. I believe poor word of mouth is a heavy factor. First movie in a while where i've seen so many people complain the critics were paid off. Also I doubt the shooting had an adverse affect on box office revenue outside of America.

Did you all just take that dreadful ending on the chin thinking it makes sense, or have consumer standards gone to complete shit within the space of a few months that people didn't bother to question half of the events in the film? I was ready to walk out after the stock exchange sequence, it was as if the film was written by a child whose knowledge of the world is founded on some late night crime films and a few sessions of Oliver Stone's Wallstreet. It was a miracle I survived the entirety of the film. Trick was to treat it as a comedy, clearly the rest of the theatre did, as there were so many forced moments that try to evoke applause or some sort of emotion from the audience, but the manner they did so was just plain laughable. Did the fact batman and bane swung at each other ever so slowly like individuals with a debilitating physical ailment, or the fact Batman's strategy was to purely overpower Bane, not raise any eyebrows? Did you all just sit there thinking this is amazing? I refuse to believe it. And yes I know what Knightfall is before anyone preaches about it. I could go on and on but I don't want to spoil anything.

tl;dr I really wouldn't use the shooting as a scapegoat for the film's underwhelming box office performance.

Plot was near perfection as far as relevence goes but if you didn't like it then thats your opinion and yours alone. Don't try to insinuate other peoples opinions just because you don't get/like the plot. There was nothing 'forced' about anything in that film except the score(music) which is ok because the music in it was awesome. Don't like it? Too bad.

Rafux said:
Fusioncode said:
Even with the tragedy the opening weekend was very disappointing. Most people expected it to do 180$ million at least, some thought it could beat The Avengers.

The first friday TDKR made more money than Avengers but then the tragedy happend and saturday and sunday underwellmed. Personally TDKR was even better than TDK.

Let's get this straight.... TDKR did NOT make more money than The Avengers on it's first Friday. The signs were there from the begining. While I agree that the shootings had some impact, it was not the reason it didn't shatter records. Lets face it, Heath Ledgers critically aclaimed performance coupled with his untimely death gave TDK an edge that TDKR could never have. 

Panama said:
Too many flaws with the plot, dialogue and direction. I believe poor word of mouth is a heavy factor. First movie in a while where i've seen so many people complain the critics were paid off. Also I doubt the shooting had an adverse affect on box office revenue outside of America.

Did you all just take that dreadful ending on the chin thinking it makes sense, or have consumer standards gone to complete shit within the space of a few months that people didn't bother to question half of the events in the film? I was ready to walk out after the stock exchange sequence, it was as if the film was written by a child whose knowledge of the world is founded on some late night crime films and a few sessions of Oliver Stone's Wallstreet. It was a miracle I survived the entirety of the film. Trick was to treat it as a comedy, clearly the rest of the theatre did, as there were so many forced moments that try to evoke applause or some sort of emotion from the audience, but the manner they did so was just plain laughable. Did the fact batman and bane swung at each other ever so slowly like individuals with a debilitating physical ailment, or the fact Batman's strategy was to purely overpower Bane, not raise any eyebrows? Did you all just sit there thinking this is amazing? I refuse to believe it. And yes I know what Knightfall is before anyone preaches about it. I could go on and on but I don't want to spoil anything.

tl;dr I really wouldn't use the shooting as a scapegoat for the film's underwhelming box office performance.

I didn't think the movie was too good either, definitely a big step down from the dark knight and even batman begins, but there is no denying the fact that the shootings had a huge affect on sales.Yes it only affected America sales, but America made up over 50% of the dark knight's total gross so yes America is very very very important for this movie's sales.

And there are a lot of people who have decided to skip watching the movie because of the shooting, especially with reports of authorties stopping other lunatics who were "preparing their own massacres" on a near daily basis since the colorodo shooting. 

Around the Network

Harsh, harsh words from Panama.

Firstly this week is the opening weeked of the biggest sporting event in the world, the Olympics. TDKR is competiting with other films, like The Amazing Spiderman. So its not far to put it in the same bracket as Avengers.

And sadly yes I agree with Panama, I think its a great Christopher Nolan films, truely great by his standards, but it just dosent feel like a Batman film. It trys too hard to be the 'epic conclusion to the Dark Knight legend'. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were much better films, because they were not trying to be an epic conclusion; they were Batman films through and through.

Besides some critics are giving the film a bad rap, either way, I enjoyed it. But it is not the 'definitive' Dark Knight legend it claims to be, not even close.

I am actually surprised, thought all the media coverage would encourage people to see it. But I guess a lot of the people are scared of the fact that it can happen in their cinema, all it takes is one batshit crazy lunatic to ruin something for everyone else it seems.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

dsage01 said:
thismeintiel said:
You can't really blame the massacre that happened last weekend. It still grossed more than any other 2D only movie in its first weekend, so the desire to watch it was still there. I think it has more to do with the fact that a lot of people thought is was just "okay." So there's going to be fewer repeat viewers than there was for Avengers and TDK.

It wouldn't have dropped 40% on saturday if they're were no shootings. That scared the shit out of alot of people.

i don't think it scared the people (at least not outside of usa) but many just feel bad to watch a movie knowing some people died because they wanted to see the movie if you know what i mean. i'm not such a guy but there are some who feel like that and think they shouldn't enjy something when other died at the sme time who wanted to enjoy the same. not sure if they will watch the movie in few weeks or never in cinema but, yeah..

but i think the avengers would have been more successful even without that. can't really tell about other countries but advertisement for that movie was awesome in germany. some of the actors were in some shows and were very funny, not like some actors where you see they are just in the show to advertise the movie. haven't seen something like that for batman.

Panama's right that there were several holes, though one must question whether the holes don't just work if you don't think about them too hard. Like the stock-exchange thing, or the rather egregious scientific errors with how they treated that supposedly-fusion nuclear device.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

MaulerX said:
Rafux said:
Fusioncode said:
Even with the tragedy the opening weekend was very disappointing. Most people expected it to do 180$ million at least, some thought it could beat The Avengers.

The first friday TDKR made more money than Avengers but then the tragedy happend and saturday and sunday underwellmed. Personally TDKR was even better than TDK.

Let's get this straight.... TDKR did NOT make more money than The Avengers on it's first Friday. The signs were there from the begining. While I agree that the shootings had some impact, it was not the reason it didn't shatter records. Lets face it, Heath Ledgers critically aclaimed performance coupled with his untimely death gave TDK an edge that TDKR could never have. 

It was estimated to have an 85 million opening on Friday however due to the tv ads cancelled and the shooting impact night shows on Friday were less than expected.