By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - No Hope for the Dark Knight Rises domestic Box office (450 million tops)!

Will The Dark Knight Rises cross the $1B mark?

Yes 22 66.67%

No 9 27.27%

It will do the impossible... 2 6.06%

Total:33

Dark Knight Rises which was expected to be the biggest film of 2012 domestically has/and will not acheive that goal. Mostly due to one crazy lunatic...we all know what happened. It is currently falling behind both The Dark Knight and Avengers in the domestic box office and is about to recieve a poor second weekend of an estimated $58 million. It won't be able to cross the billion mark overseas therefore not becoming the biggest film of the year. Sad that it is such a great film but one lunatic poisned millions of people's hearts and therefore they will not see this film in movie theatre.

Around the Network

Even with the tragedy the opening weekend was very disappointing. Most people expected it to do 180$ million at least, some thought it could beat The Avengers.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
Even with the tragedy the opening weekend was very disappointing. Most people expected it to do 180$ million at least, some thought it could beat The Avengers.

The first friday TDKR made more money than Avengers but then the tragedy happend and saturday and sunday underwellmed. Personally TDKR was even better than TDK.

Rafux said:
Fusioncode said:

The first friday TDKR made more money than Avengers but then the tragedy happend and saturday and sunday underwellmed. Personally TDKR was even better than TDK.

I think so too. Best movie I've ever scene. Sad such a tragedy had to happen.

Please stop, it's too painful.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

You can't really blame the massacre that happened last weekend. It still grossed more than any other 2D only movie in its first weekend, so the desire to watch it was still there. I think it has more to do with the fact that a lot of people thought is was just "okay." So there's going to be fewer repeat viewers than there was for Avengers and TDK.

Too many flaws with the plot, dialogue and direction. I believe poor word of mouth is a heavy factor. First movie in a while where i've seen so many people complain the critics were paid off. Also I doubt the shooting had an adverse affect on box office revenue outside of America.

Did you all just take that dreadful ending on the chin thinking it makes sense, or have consumer standards gone to complete shit within the space of a few months that people didn't bother to question half of the events in the film? I was ready to walk out after the stock exchange sequence, it was as if the film was written by a child whose knowledge of the world is founded on some late night crime films and a few sessions of Oliver Stone's Wallstreet. It was a miracle I survived the entirety of the film. Trick was to treat it as a comedy, clearly the rest of the theatre did, as there were so many forced moments that try to evoke applause or some sort of emotion from the audience, but the manner they did so was just plain laughable. Did the fact batman and bane swung at each other ever so slowly like individuals with a debilitating physical ailment, or the fact Batman's strategy was to purely overpower Bane, not raise any eyebrows? Did you all just sit there thinking this is amazing? I refuse to believe it. And yes I know what Knightfall is before anyone preaches about it. I could go on and on but I don't want to spoil anything.

tl;dr I really wouldn't use the shooting as a scapegoat for the film's underwhelming box office performance.

thismeintiel said:
You can't really blame the massacre that happened last weekend. It still grossed more than any other 2D only movie in its first weekend, so the desire to watch it was still there. I think it has more to do with the fact that a lot of people thought is was just "okay." So there's going to be fewer repeat viewers than there was for Avengers and TDK.

It wouldn't have dropped 40% on saturday if they're were no shootings. That scared the shit out of alot of people.

Rafux said:
Fusioncode said:

ummmm NO! the avengers made 80 million its first day and batman man 75 million, with our without the tradegy that happend (sadly)  batman still wouldnt have beat the avengers. honestly i dont think that what happened did affect the first weekend numbers.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=batman3.htm

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=avengers11.htm

It will have legs I don't expect the remake of Total Recall will do so good next weekend. Still think TDKR has a good change of being the top movie for three weeks. Legs are more important then opening and second weekend totals Titanic and Avatar got the number #1 and #2 spot domestic and worldwide due to legs not dominating the top of the box office for two weeks.