By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MICROSOFT earnings are in - 360: 1.1m shipped. Numbers inside.

Carl2291 said:
Ive not seen people this defensive over something since the 3DS pricecut.

Seriously.

Fuck this thread. I asked a question and get jumped on for "trolling". Thanks Kynes for actually being civil. The rest of you know what to do.

i have seen you and other people do same to others

Around the Network
ZaneWane said:
Carl2291 said:
Ive not seen people this defensive over something since the 3DS pricecut.

Seriously.

Fuck this thread. I asked a question and get jumped on for "trolling". Thanks Kynes for actually being civil. The rest of you know what to do.

i have seen you and other people do same to others

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

I just don't like what some of you are doing, Kowenicki is a guy that knows what he's talking when we have financial threads, and most of the time he gets too harsh critics because he says the truth. If he gets defensive is because lots of forum users don't like to read the truth, and try to kill the messenger. If I received the same bullying he gets, I'm sure that I would be much more defensive than him, and probably I would have been banned eons ago.

Kynes said:
I just don't like what some of you are doing, Kowenicki is a guy that knows what he's talking when we have financial threads, and most of the time he gets too harsh critics because he says the truth. If he gets defensive is because lots of forum users don't like to read the truth, and try to kill the messenger. If I received the same bullying he gets, I'm sure that I would be much more defensive than him, and probably I would have been banned eons ago.

Re-read my original post, that put him on his crusade.

There is nothing at all there to get defensive about. No reason to bring up Sony. No reason to be all high and mighty "MS RULE!". I said nothing wrong, at all. He just didn't like someone bringing it up.

Carl, I'm not talking about you, or this thread in particular. I'm talking about the forum in general. It seems that as Kowenicki is the most visible MS fan here after Seece left, he's the target of some undeserved attacks every time he express his opinion on any matter. I wouldn't like a forum where you only have people defending two of the three companies because the fans of the third one leave due to harassment, and it has been happening here for some time.

If the guys that say the things we don't want to read leave, it doesn't mean that those things won't happen. It's much better if we have all the viewpoints, and not only one "truth", because then this forum will be like N4G, and that would be horrible.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Kynes said:

His message and ability to inform the ignorant aren't the issue. It's only, and usually always, how he goes about it. Nobody is claiming perfection, but there's just a way to deal with things.

You do the same, CGI, the difference is that you have a big number of users that have the same views that you have, but you tend to harass other users sometimes. The last few days you have been criticizing Kowen in several threads.

CGI-Quality said:
Kynes said:
CGI-Quality said:

His message and ability to inform the ignorant aren't the issue. It's only, and usually always, how he goes about it. Nobody is claiming perfection, but there's just a way to deal with things.

You do the same, CGI, the difference is that you have a big number of users that have the same views that you have, but you tend to harass other users sometimes. The last few days you have been criticizing Kowen in several threads.

There's a difference with calling out defensive behavior (which is all I pointed out, if you were paying attention) and getting defensive on a normal basis (which everyone gets defensive a time or two, yourself included, but not to the extent that he often does). Carl asked a simple question and got attacked like a hound. It was uncalled for, bottom line.

PS...the post also says nobody is claiming perfection (which would include me), but when this issue happens more often than not, it's going to turn more than just a few heads (obviously, as I'm not the only person bringing it up). 

You have also got defensive lots of times, when people said some things about heavy rain, or when people say things about beyond or the last of us or Sony in general that you don't like. The truth is everyone get defensive, but we don't see it when we do. More people say it about Kowenicki because there are more people that don't agree with his opinions, so it's natural that more people call him out. If we had much more MS fans than Sony fans, I'm sure that guys like you would be the guys being pointed out instead of Kowenicki.

I'm telling it again, if you want a forum where no one says things you don't like, keep behaving the same way. I don't like that, I enjoy having different reasonable opinions, but I'm just one user of this forum and I'm not the one to say how this forum must be.

I'm not going to play semantics because English is not my native language, and I'm in clear adversity in this game. I just want to say that Kowen may have jumped too quick in this thread, but that doesn't mean he deserves what some of you are doing.

Kynes said:
I'm not going to play semantics because English is not my native language, and I'm in clear adversity in this game. I just want to say that Kowen may have jumped too quick in this thread, but that doesn't mean he deserves what some of you are doing.

If you've been paying attention you will have noticed that kowenicki is absolutely revelling in sony's financial difficulties. Now that's fine if he wants to do that but don't expect sony fans to be extending any courtesies. He deserves all the grief he gets. (just speaking in general not necessarily about anyone in this thread) 

pezus said:
Potable_Toe said:
pezus said:

Actually...no. What was the Live userbase before? 30m or so? So give it a 15% increase: That makes it 34.5m now or a 4.5m jump. 360 shipped, however, 13m consoles...so the ratio was 4.5/13 = 34.6%

I may have made a mistake in my sum's, I took an overly simplistic and ultimately wrong viewpoint on the numbers, however your figures too are incorrect.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/06/xbox-by-the-numbers-20m-xbox-live-users-10m-nongaming-39m-xbo/

39m X360s/20m Live users - 51.2%

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/05/xbox-360-hits-50-million-worldwide-xbox-live-users-top-30-milli/

50m X360s/30m Live users - 60%

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/SegmentResults/EntertainmentAndDevicesDivision/FY11/Q4/performance.aspx

55m X360s/35m Live users - 63.6%

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/60687-xbox-live-users-topple-40-million

66m X360s/40m Live users - 66.6%

Now it is 68.3m X360s/40.25m (according to my maths) resulting in 58.9%

So to answer your question for a second time, yes as a ratio Xbox live users have dropped (by 7.7%) compared to hardware sales assuming my 'workings out' are correct this time.

The only part that is incorrect is the 30m assumption I made. Point remains the same, that fewer new owners are subscribing, more are unsubscribing or existing owners are rebuying the console more than before.

I think you got that one wrong.

The main point is that XBL userbase is still growing. It is just not growing as fast as it used to. Still more people are subscribing than unsubscribing, otherwise there would not be more users than last year. 

Anyway, It is summer time, without any big game releases. So a lot of people don't renew their subscriptions. Yet the number of users is still growing.
With Halo 4, CoD Black Ops 2, Forza Horizon, Boderlands 2, Medal of Honor there are a lot of multiplayer centric games coming out this holiday season. I think MS will report close to 50m XBL users at then end of the year. 25 million paying at least $50 for it per year - pushing the revenue with fees only to 1.25 billion USD per year. That is pretty awesome, isn't it?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...