By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MICROSOFT earnings are in - 360: 1.1m shipped. Numbers inside.

When it says sales and marketing is 14,000 (in millions), does that mean they spent 14 Billion on advertising?

Kowen, why does the operating income and profit both increase by 3B for EDD in 2011?

Oops wrong figure. profit goes up 3B and operating goes up 600M. Is operating costs related to kinects and development?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
theprof00 said:
When it says sales and marketing is 14,000 (in millions), does that mean they spent 14 Billion on advertising?

It is all sales and marketing related costs (direct and indirect) of the whole Microsoft business....

It represents about 19% of turnover.... thats pretty good.

Yes but what is sales costs? Tax? Shipping?

kowenicki said:

of course it isnt tax or shipping...

its marketing, so cost of advertising, external marketing agencies, internal marketing and marketing staff costs, air time, print cost etc.

If I put an ad on the tv that costs $100,000 in air time then it costs a lot more than that in reality... you have ad agency costs, design, distribution, internal marketing function... etc

Just curious as to why it's called sales and marketing and just not marketing.

this is the quarter that the ~6Billion write off (loss) is suppose to be applied right?

Tagging.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
kitler53 said:
this is the quarter that the ~6Billion write off (loss) is suppose to be applied right?

yes, it is also full year end for FY 2012.

I'm looking forward to a lot of ignorant and ill informed hysteria....

I was talking about where it says operating profit from 618 -> 1324, and revenue from 6.1 ->8.9

Also yes, that is a good assumption. We saw the write-off loss in the Sony quarterly draw massive trolling, so it's a fair assumption that we'll see it here too.

Is having to write off 6 Billion classed as bad? Im curious.

Also... How many 360's does VGC have sold for the Q?

kowenicki said:

very very very different reasons and circumstances......

..... so I see it has started already.

Just think of this as your opportunity to explain how buying a failing company was different than losing money that didn't exist :D

kowenicki said:
theprof00 said:
kowenicki said:
kitler53 said:

yes, it is also full year end for FY 2012.

I'm looking forward to a lot of ignorant and ill informed hysteria....

I was talking about where it says operating profit from 618 -> 1324, and revenue from 6.1 ->8.9

Which is what I just answered... 

REVENUE (income/turnover - NOT profit) went up $3bn and OPERATING INCOME (profit before tax) went up $700m

Dude calm down or you're going to have a heart attack somewhere in the second page of this thread. Have a beer and chill out. I misread the parenthetical. I know that things in the parentheses mean loss, but I misread.

Go easy with the ellipses as well. That's how teenagers talk.

has online division profit any quarter once?