By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MICROSOFT earnings are in - 360: 1.1m shipped. Numbers inside.

Yes.

Now. Did they post a loss? Yes or no.

Just a yes or no please, kowen.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Yes.

Now. Did they post a loss? Yes or no.

Just a yes or no please, kowen.

Do you understand the difference between GAAP and non-GAAP? The loss wasn't produced this quarter, the loss was produced when they bought the internet marketing company. They have written off that purchase this quarter, but the cash in the bank is more now than three months ago.

non-GAAP would be adjusted earnings, with things like the aQuantive hit... Right?

Carl2291 said:
non-GAAP would be adjusted earnings, with things like the aQuantive hit... Right?

No, that's GAAP. This is the problem with GAAP, and this is why the non-GAAP numbers are almost always published.

kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
My point is its quite shocking to see MS post a loss. Be it Quarterly, Yearly, Daily... Whatever.

Why has me asking if this was the first ever loss turned into you going all defensive? Really. All I did was ask a Question and youre hopping around like Tigger...

Lostplanet. The new PS3 will obviously be profitable. Its tiny, cheap looking and still gonna be sold for $250+. This isnt a thread about that though...

You didn't just ask a question, you said it was a big deal.

It isn't.

Whats a big deal is Sony having 5 straight years of losses and no end in sight.

Whats big is Sony predictions for the current fiscal year already falling to shit before our eyes (that frankly stupid currency expectation is going to kill them this quarter and this year)

Whats big is that Sony are the ones the need to do something or Sony had a very real chance of not existing and yes I am serious about that.

This is a mere blip on a very positive period for MS.

Sony stock down 52% in the last year, MS stock up 15%

you really come off as extremely defensive in posts like this. You keep brining sony into a discussion about MS. Loss is a loss, it's not a 'positive' nor is it something they did cuz they just felt like it or anything. You keep trying to downplay this and you use sony for that. (lol at 'creating' a loss) Don't you already have like 2-3 threads you yourself made for that? Keep this on topic. The investment was a clusterfuck if it's being written off instead of being written down and that's a fact. No need to go after Carl as if he is insulting your family. It's a bad outcome but it happens with investments all the time (well maybe not of this scale but still)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
Kynes said:
Carl2291 said:

No, that's GAAP. This is the problem with GAAP, and this is why the non-GAAP numbers are almost always published.

Yeah, knew it was one of 'em.

So. Did MS lose money for the first time ever?

Carl2291 said:
Kynes said:
Carl2291 said:

Yes and no. The aQuantive loss was made during several years, but accounted this quarter. In GAAP terms, yes, they lost ~400 million US$, in cash flow, no, this quarter Microsoft won almost 6 billion US$.

I really do suggest some people do some basic financial research into what actual losses and book losses are.

Kynes said:
Carl2291 said:
Kynes said:
Carl2291 said:

Yes and no. The aQuantive loss was made during several years, but accounted this quarter. In GAAP terms, yes, they lost ~400 million US$, in cash flow, no, this quarter Microsoft won almost 6 billion US$.

Right. Thanks. This is what I asked when I said "Is this the first ever Quarterly loss for MS?"

All it needed was an answer like that and we wouldnt have had kowen tripping out...

Carl2291 said:
Stop bringing Sony into it. We know all about Sony and the losses. Thats no news. Stop derailing your own thread.

The first.

Let me repeat that.

First. First. First. FIRST.

The first ever loss for Microsoft. Its big news. Its unexpected and really quite shocking.

Take it on the chin and stop being so defensive.

who didn't expect that after the July 2nd news?