By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can X360/PS3 reach 100 million sold units?

Which console(s) will reach 100 million?

All three consoles. 45 8.93%

Wii and PS3 148 29.37%

Wii and X360 18 3.57%

PS3 and X360 5 0.99%

Wii only 197 39.09%

PS3 only 44 8.73%

X360 only 10 1.98%

See results 37 7.34%

Total:504

I'm sure Wii will. I mean they're not going to stop making them right after the Wii U right?

I am very confident PS3 will. The new model could push sales even up to 15 million this year and it's already on track for 10 million. Next year will be another 10 to 15 million then after that it will drop to around 5 million for up to 3 years before sales start disappearing. That's 40 to 45 million by end of 2016.

360 will probably not get the support that the PS3 will. As far as we know another remodel of the 360 isn't happening, which would indicate support and a strong effort to reduce production costs. Their more saturated in their markets than PS3 is and they would be better off promoting their next console in their weaker markets than pushing 360. They will probably hit 10 million this year but next year is uncertain even with a price drop their markets are saturated, I'd say 8 million. Most of their emphasis will go to their next console. The 360 will probably stop around 90+ million.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

where is the none option?

The wii might make it, thou at the rate its dying it might be hard. Espacially with the wiiu coming out, plus the wiiU is backwards compatible wich makes it even harder for the wii.
Betwen the ps360 i'd say its more likely for the ps than the 360 since that one seems to have more life left and sony is still pushing out quite a number high profile titles for it. Also if ps2 is anything to go by it might still move some consoles after the ps4 but that is left to be seen.

superchunk said:
No. Not going to realistically happen. Only Wii will hit 100m.

If they killed the price (and any profit) and sold them for like $50 before their next-gen counterparts launch, then it would be possible; but that is not going to happen.

PS3 will be at around 75m at the end of this year. Next year they'll be riding the price cut/remodel effect, but let's say that even with those it just avoids falling by a huge margin. Let's say it still falls to 10m sold for the year.

That leaves PS3 at 85m, just as PS4 launches. You don't see PS3 selling those 15m LT? Even in developing nations where they're very slow to adopt HW? PS2 sold 50m+ after this gen started, PS3 only needs  30% of that, and it's selling at around 60% the pace of PS2.

There's a real possibility. It's not guaranteed, but it can't be dismissed.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

kitler53 said:
where is the none option?

By the time I realised, it was too late to restart the poll. So just click see results. Sorry.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:

PS3 will be at around 75m at the end of this year. Next year they'll be riding the price cut/remodel effect, but let's say that even with those it just avoids falling by a huge margin. Let's say it still falls to 10m sold for the year.

That leaves PS3 at 85m, just as PS4 launches. You don't see PS3 selling those 15m LT? Even in developing nations where they're very slow to adopt HW? PS2 sold 50m+ after this gen started, PS3 only needs  30% of that, and it's selling at around 60% the pace of PS2.

(rounding off)

PS3 sold over 14m in 2010 and 2011. Its sold less than 5m so far this year. Its currently standing at 65m right now. I won't hit 75m this year. It will sell less than 2 million before October and then maybe another 5 or 6 million during the holidays. So, I'd peg it at 8m tops for rest of year meaning an MAX of 13m for 2012... and that's including a solid gain due to a greater than $50 price drop before October.

So I think by end of 2012 we're looking at PS3 being about 73m max.

Then PS4 starts to really heat up in 2013 along with all the other next-gen talk from WiiU, neXtBox, PS4, and any other TV connected boxes with Android and iOS.

With that all being confirmed launch "by end of 2013", we'll see drops in PS360 sales compared to the previous year. I'd think PS3 would sell at best around 8m in 2013. (total now is about 81m).

Then in 2014 PS3 will be on its last two years. During those final years it won't have the momentum a clear leading console has with tons of exclusives. It will have a $99 price tag and that's about it. It will NOT sale 20m units in those final one or two years before Sony pulls it.

NES/SNES/PS1/PS2 all had one thing in common that allowed them to sale for many, many years after their successors launched. MASSIVE market leadership and exclusives. PS3 doesn't have that. Wii doesn't even have that.

PS360 will be lucky to break 90m by the time they are discontinued.

PS2 is 10 times what the PS3 is. How many units each year did it sell from 2006 to now?

Who voted ps3 only. Saying wii is not going to get it is a joke. These people show there Biasism.
I'm a 360 fan, I voted Wii only. Highly unlikely they will hit 100 million. They might but it's going to be a hard run. I think they will hit just below or just over by the end of there run.

i want sony to reach 100 million, but the water is very murky for sony.... i think wii would reach 100m by the end of 2013

superchunk said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

(rounding off)

PS3 sold over 14m in 2010 and 2011. Its sold less than 5m so far this year. Its currently standing at 65m right now. I won't hit 75m this year. It will sell less than 2 million before October and then maybe another 5 or 6 million during the holidays. So, I'd peg it at 8m tops for rest of year meaning an MAX of 13m for 2012... and that's including a solid gain due to a greater than $50 price drop before October.

So I think by end of 2012 we're looking at PS3 being about 73m max.

Then PS4 starts to really heat up in 2013 along with all the other next-gen talk from WiiU, neXtBox, PS4, and any other TV connected boxes with Android and iOS.

With that all being confirmed launch "by end of 2013", we'll see drops in PS360 sales compared to the previous year. I'd think PS3 would sell at best around 8m in 2013. (total now is about 81m).

Then in 2014 PS3 will be on its last two years. During those final years it won't have the momentum a clear leading console has with tons of exclusives. It will have a $99 price tag and that's about it. It will NOT sale 20m units in those final one or two years before Sony pulls it.

NES/SNES/PS1/PS2 all had one thing in common that allowed them to sale for many, many years after their successors launched. MASSIVE market leadership and exclusives. PS3 doesn't have that. Wii doesn't even have that.

PS360 will be lucky to break 90m by the time they are discontinued.

PS2 is 10 times what the PS3 is. How many units each year did it sell from 2006 to now?

PS3 sold 14.13m units in 2011 and is trending 12% down YTD, meaning that even without a cut and redesign it would hit 73m. You rounded off far too low. Even if it sold 13m like you said it'd be closer to 74m.

And I doubt it'd go from 13m (your pessimistic prediction) to 8m (a 40% drop) while riding the cut/redesign effect.

So it's much more realistic to expect 85m by the beginning of 2014.

After that... it's anyone's guess. But I think it can make it.

Troll_Whisperer said:

PS3 sold 14.13m units in 2011 and is trending 12% down YTD, meaning that even without a cut and redesign it would hit 73m. You rounded off far too low. Even if it sold 13m like you said it'd be closer to 74m.

And I doubt it'd go from 13m (your pessimistic prediction) to 8m (a 40% drop) while riding the cut/redesign effect.

So it's much more realistic to expect 85m by the beginning of 2014.

After that... it's anyone's guess. But I think it can make it.

Its still going to trend 12% or more down AFTER any price cut easily. 14.1m - 12% = 12.8m. (This isn't how I made my 13m prediction, but it supports it.)

It'll drop to 8m because of anticipation of TWO new next-gen consoles coming out plus whatever Nintendo is doing with WiiU combined with growth in iOS and Android based "consoles".