By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can X360/PS3 reach 100 million sold units?

Which console(s) will reach 100 million?

All three consoles. 45 8.93%

Wii and PS3 148 29.37%

Wii and X360 18 3.57%

PS3 and X360 5 0.99%

Wii only 197 39.09%

PS3 only 44 8.73%

X360 only 10 1.98%

See results 37 7.34%

Total:504

Wii definitely will and I believe the ps3 will do as well.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

PS3 sold 14.13m units in 2011 and is trending 12% down YTD, meaning that even without a cut and redesign it would hit 73m. You rounded off far too low. Even if it sold 13m like you said it'd be closer to 74m.

And I doubt it'd go from 13m (your pessimistic prediction) to 8m (a 40% drop) while riding the cut/redesign effect.

So it's much more realistic to expect 85m by the beginning of 2014.

After that... it's anyone's guess. But I think it can make it.

Its still going to trend 12% or more down AFTER any price cut easily. 14.1m - 12% = 12.8m. (This isn't how I made my 13m prediction, but it supports it.)

It'll drop to 8m because of anticipation of TWO new next-gen consoles coming out plus whatever Nintendo is doing with WiiU combined with growth in iOS and Android based "consoles".

It's on!

I say it'll sell over 81m by January 1st 2014. Wanna bet?

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Troll_Whisperer said:
superchunk said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

PS3 sold 14.13m units in 2011 and is trending 12% down YTD, meaning that even without a cut and redesign it would hit 73m. You rounded off far too low. Even if it sold 13m like you said it'd be closer to 74m.

And I doubt it'd go from 13m (your pessimistic prediction) to 8m (a 40% drop) while riding the cut/redesign effect.

Its still going to trend 12% or more down AFTER any price cut easily. 14.1m - 12% = 12.8m. (This isn't how I made my 13m prediction, but it supports it.)

It'll drop to 8m because of anticipation of TWO new next-gen consoles coming out plus whatever Nintendo is doing with WiiU combined with growth in iOS and Android based "consoles".

It's on!

lol I'm done with these long off bets. Let's just see what happens and who eats crow.

superchunk said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
superchunk said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

It's on!

lol I'm done with these long off bets. Let's just see what happens and who eats crow.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Wii will surely do it. PS3 too, a price cut and a new slim would bump it's sales, plus bigger sales in developing countries. 360 has a harder task, since it is stronger in NA and it's a market that is saturated and will jump more quickly in next gen than the others.

Personally, I believe that there is a lot of gas on current gen. High end PC games aren't that much better than current console graphics to justify a new gen right now. People won't buy new hardware for a marginal upgrade or simply more multimedia capabilities. And this gen started off with a way higher price point. The current prices (after 7 years) are comparable to launch prices in older generations. When the HD twins reach prices lower than $250-150, we'll see a massive improvement on sales. For me, the current low sales aren't because people want a new gen. People want a price cut.

Around the Network

None will. The Wii will have to sell a steady 40k each week for about another 2 years for that to happen. Not going to happen with the WiiU coming out in months. Don't say ps2 this and ps2 that either, the world is a very different place now, the economy and console sales are way down. Nintendo will be fully behind the newer WiiU trying to make up as much market-share as possible before the NeXtbox and PS4 hit the shelves.

spaceguy said:
Who voted ps3 only. Saying wii is not going to get it is a joke. These people show there Biasism.
I'm a 360 fan, I voted Wii only. Highly unlikely they will hit 100 million. They might but it's going to be a hard run. I think they will hit just below or just over by the end of there run.

People vote X360 only too, i dont understand the logic but whatever lol.

OT: I think if all 3 consoles are supported after their new consoles are released, (multiplats coming for all) then all 3 will make it to 100m. I think main thing about sales after a next gen console is out is just the type of support it gets.

superchunk said:
No. Not going to realistically happen. Only Wii will hit 100m.

If they killed the price (and any profit) and sold them for like $50 before their next-gen counterparts launch, then it would be possible; but that is not going to happen.

Weren't you the one who said PS3 and X360 for sure will not reach 50 million sold?  

Anyway because of Superchunk's comment I think they for sure will :).

360 with proper price cut on Kinect and Console can get there...

It will be in Shipments about 78m this year more or less so its possible if Microsoft keeps supporting the Console.

The PS3 still hasn't reached a price point that would allow for mass-market appeal. Therefore, it has far more to gain from further price cuts than the 360. The PS3 will obviously overtake the 360 significantly after the next price cut and I see no reason why Sony will be unable to continue selling the PS3 well into the PS4's lifespan. Sony has done so before, the PS3 is a fairly powerful piece of hardware that developers are beginning to properly utilize (with a few exceptions) and the system has much to gain from further price cuts. I would not be surprised if Sony began to market the PS3 in developing markets much like they did with the PS2 once it becomes affordable enough. I believe that the 360, already having reached a mass-market price and the fact that Microsoft will likely discontinue it to force consumers to start buying the Xbox Delta / Trinity will drastically effect sales late in the console's life cycle.

TL/DR

I see much more potential for market growth in the PS3 than the 360. Also, Sony has a history of supporting previous systems unlike their competitors. As a result, I predict that the lifetime unit sales for each system will be:

Wii - 100-102 million
PS3 - 90-105 million
360 - 80-90 million