By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can X360/PS3 reach 100 million sold units?

Which console(s) will reach 100 million?

All three consoles. 45 8.93%

Wii and PS3 148 29.37%

Wii and X360 18 3.57%

PS3 and X360 5 0.99%

Wii only 197 39.09%

PS3 only 44 8.73%

X360 only 10 1.98%

See results 37 7.34%

Total:504
Troll_Whisperer said:
bouzane said:

So you made a faulty prediction without properly considering all of the evidence (Wii's limited hardware, 360 and PS3's price points, Wii's more "casual" audiance) when just about anybody could have seen that both the PS3 and 360 would break 50 million? You can't just dismiss that and expect people to take your current prediction seriously.

It's superchunk. He's always wrong.

>:( We'll see who's the target of my next always right thread.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
bouzane said:

So you made a faulty prediction without properly considering all of the evidence (Wii's limited hardware, 360 and PS3's price points, Wii's more "casual" audiance) when just about anybody could have seen that both the PS3 and 360 would break 50 million? You can't just dismiss that and expect people to take your current prediction seriously.

It's superchunk. He's always wrong.

>:( We'll see who's the target of my next always right thread.

Hehe, I knew I would piss you off :D

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

logic56 said:
Kenology said:
Wii will be the only console to make. You guys saying the PS3 will make it are being delusional.

really now, how many consoles did the PS2 sell AFTER the PS3 was launched

the PS3 is a gaurentee the new model this late into the generation confirms that

Different situation.

PS2 didn't have strong competition and was a great option for those who didn't want to buy expensive next gen hardware. Sony basically owned that market.

The PS3 on the other hand has very strong competition. Don't expect PS3 to have legs like PS2 because of the Wii and 360.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
logic56 said:
Kenology said:
Wii will be the only console to make. You guys saying the PS3 will make it are being delusional.

the PS3 is a gaurentee the new model this late into the generation confirms that

Different situation.

PS2 didn't have strong competition and was a great option for those who didn't want to buy expensive next gen hardware. Sony basically owned that market.

The PS3 on the other hand has very strong competition. Don't expect PS3 to have legs like PS2 because of the Wii and 360.

The Wii is dead in the water so it's quickly becoming a non-issue to the continued success of the PS3. The 360 may prove to be more of an issue but due to it reaching a mass-market price point years before the PS3 I can not see it benefiting as much from further price cuts. I really can't see the PS3 failing to coexist with the PS4 due to the 360 and especially not the Wii.

Yes they all will, specially PS3 since Sony consoles always keep selling even when their succesor arrives.

PS360 will probably sell 25M more consoles (each one) until december 2013, then they will slowly crawl to 100M.

Around the Network

i think both ps3 and wii will end up selling 100m+

Mr Puggsly said:
logic56 said:
Kenology said:

Different situation.

wii is dead and the only thing keeping the 360's head above the water is the holiday kinect boost which isn't Sony's market

Actually I think the PS3 will last longer in developing countries than the ps2, once they start upgrading, becasue of how much more it adds, the established online network, free games and services, and dirt cheap yet high quality games,  the PS3 can go on indefinitely where the ps2 was only really viable becasue the ps3 was too expensive.

kowenicki said:
bouzane said:
Mr Puggsly said:
logic56 said:
Kenology said:

Different situation.

The Wii is dead in the water so it's quickly becoming a non-issue to the continued success of the PS3. The 360 may prove to be more of an issue but due to it reaching a mass-market price point years before the PS3 I can not see it benefiting as much from further price cuts. I really can't see the PS3 failing to coexist with the PS4 due to the 360 and especially not the Wii.

What is this mysterious "mass market" price point (I presume you are speaking about the US and dollars?) and what do you expect to happen when the PS3 reaches it?  And what is the mass market price in the UK?  Europe?

An entry model system with a price of approximately $200 US dollars is typically referred to as mass-market. As far as I can tell it is the price point at which consoles typically sell the most units (evidenced by the PS2). Personally, that's the price where I typically buy consoles.

Wii - yes. Pretty much a given.

PS3 - maybe. Requires it to get a decent tail outside core markets in the same vein as PS2, however given this worked for PS2 and Sony still seems to sell better in those markets it's not impossible. I reckon though it's unlikely. The PS3 outside US/Japan has been on the market for less time than the 360 too which could help it appeal as "newer" in emerging markets, particularly with Blu-Ray for media playback.

360 - probably not. The 360 seems too focused on Western markets and I'm sure that demand will drop off sharply once next Xbox is out. If MS really continue to support the console for a long time then I guess there's an outside chance but 360 seems to me to have the least chance. It just feels like it doesn't have enough to offer in emerging markets (weak Live, limited additional services, only plays DVD, etc) plus less brand recognition in those markets.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

For PS3 that's a certain.