By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can X360/PS3 reach 100 million sold units?

Which console(s) will reach 100 million?

All three consoles. 45 8.93%

Wii and PS3 148 29.37%

Wii and X360 18 3.57%

PS3 and X360 5 0.99%

Wii only 197 39.09%

PS3 only 44 8.73%

X360 only 10 1.98%

See results 37 7.34%

Total:504
bouzane said:
Mr Puggsly said:
logic56 said:
Kenology said:
Wii will be the only console to make. You guys saying the PS3 will make it are being delusional.

really now, how many consoles did the PS2 sell AFTER the PS3 was launched

the PS3 is a gaurentee the new model this late into the generation confirms that

Different situation.

PS2 didn't have strong competition and was a great option for those who didn't want to buy expensive next gen hardware. Sony basically owned that market.

The PS3 on the other hand has very strong competition. Don't expect PS3 to have legs like PS2 because of the Wii and 360.

The Wii is dead in the water so it's quickly becoming a non-issue to the continued success of the PS3. The 360 may prove to be more of an issue but due to it reaching a mass-market price point years before the PS3 I can not see it benefiting as much from further price cuts. I really can't see the PS3 failing to coexist with the PS4 due to the 360 and especially not the Wii.

Bear in mind I'm just explaining why the PS2 and PS3 situations are different when it comes to potential legs. PS2 owned the market, PS3 does not.

For the next few years I believe the Wii will have continued success appealing to casual gamers and fans of Nintendo's 1st party lineup not looking to spend much money. The 360 has a similar userbase as the PS3 but does a better job at appealing to casual gamers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
bouzane said:
Mr Puggsly said:
logic56 said:
Kenology said:
Wii will be the only console to make. You guys saying the PS3 will make it are being delusional.

the PS3 is a gaurentee the new model this late into the generation confirms that

Different situation.

PS2 didn't have strong competition and was a great option for those who didn't want to buy expensive next gen hardware. Sony basically owned that market.

The PS3 on the other hand has very strong competition. Don't expect PS3 to have legs like PS2 because of the Wii and 360.

The Wii is dead in the water so it's quickly becoming a non-issue to the continued success of the PS3. The 360 may prove to be more of an issue but due to it reaching a mass-market price point years before the PS3 I can not see it benefiting as much from further price cuts. I really can't see the PS3 failing to coexist with the PS4 due to the 360 and especially not the Wii.

Bear in mind I'm just explaining why the PS2 and PS3 situations are different when it comes to potential legs. PS2 owned the market, PS3 does not.

For the next few years I believe the Wii will have continued success appealing to casual gamers and fans of Nintendo's 1st party lineup not looking to spend much money. The 360 has a similar userbase as the PS3 but does a better job at appealing to casual gamers.

i dont see how the wii will have continued success. its already dead, so why would its all of a sudden start showing legs when wii u is out? also ps3 and 360 are only going to go down in price, which wont help the wii. the wii is just too outdated now. nobody see's any value in it. the best wii can hope for is to top 105m units sold and even thats unlikely.

Sales drop considerably when the successor comes to market, and even if 360/PS3 were to hit 75 million before holiday 2013, they'd take 2 or 3 more years to hit 80 million or more after the PS4/720 launch. I'd be shocked if PS3 went beyond 90 million lifetime, and even more shocked if 360 did.

Cant see the 360 or PS3 hitting 100 million. Wii will though.

logic56 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
logic56 said:
Kenology said:

Different situation.

wii is dead and the only thing keeping the 360's head above the water is the holiday kinect boost which isn't Sony's market

Actually I think the PS3 will last longer in developing countries than the ps2, once they start upgrading, becasue of how much more it adds, the established online network, free games and services, and dirt cheap yet high quality games,  the PS3 can go on indefinitely where the ps2 was only really viable becasue the ps3 was too expensive.

Wii isn't dead. It has room for price cuts and I think it'll still do pretty well for the next few years simply relying on its 1st party lineup.

Kinect isn't keeping the 360's, "head above water." Its allowing the 360 to maintain strong sales without relying on MASSIVE price cuts to stimulate sales. Which is why the 360 is actually profitable, while PS3...

I agree with your statment about PS3's lasting longer than PS2 because of the online related content. Digital downloads and streaming entertainment will keep the 360 and PS3 relevant for years to come, worldwide. Although, I hear internet access in developing nations is not so great or fast. They may be an obstacle.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I predict non will sell 100m.

kowenicki said:
bouzane said:
kowenicki said:
bouzane said:
Mr Puggsly said:
logic56 said:
Kenology said:

Different situation.

What is this mysterious "mass market" price point (I presume you are speaking about the US and dollars?) and what do you expect to happen when the PS3 reaches it?  And what is the mass market price in the UK?  Europe?

An entry model system with a price of approximately $200 US dollars is typically referred to as mass-market. As far as I can tell it is the price point at which consoles typically sell the most units (evidenced by the PS2). Personally, that's the price where I typically buy consoles.

forgive me..... but that a load of mythical nonsense.  often quoted but in isolation of the facts of the time.

the PS2 became $199 after only 18 months so of course most of its sales came after then... lol

and.... it was a the FIRST price drop and a rather hefty $100 drop at the time (33% drop)

and... $199 represented 66% of the original lauch price

(furthermore $199 in 2002 is $254 in todays money)

In comparison, the PS3 has had countless price drops, has been out for 5 1/2 years and is down to 50% of its lowest launch price.  Anyone expecting some kind of massive and continued boost for a $199 PS3 is.... frankly...  deluded.

You know what, $249.99 is too much money for a toy. $199.99 is acceptable so i might pick one up at that price and I know I'm hardly the only one. I'm pretty certain that at least 15 million PS3's will be sold in the twelve months following the next price cut. The PS3 has always been too expensive and considering the amount of competition, $249.99 is still an obstacle to a lot of consumers. Again, I simply can not see the PS3 selling less than 90 million units LTD, even if the PS4 launches in 2013.

Edit: It's also worth noting that with current economic hardships and the increasing importance of developing markets an affordable price is far more important than ever before.

sperrico87 said:
Sales drop considerably when the successor comes to market, and even if 360/PS3 were to hit 75 million before holiday 2013, they'd take 2 or 3 more years to hit 80 million or more after the PS4/720 launch. I'd be shocked if PS3 went beyond 90 million lifetime, and even more shocked if 360 did.

They'll hit or be around 75m this holiday 2012. After holiday 2013 they may be at 85m, especially PS3 with its redesign and price cut.

Then it's a matter of whether you think they'll sell the extra 15m or not.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Mr Puggsly said:
logic56 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
logic56 said:
Kenology said:

Different situation.

wii is dead and the only thing keeping the 360's head above the water is the holiday kinect boost which isn't Sony's market

Actually I think the PS3 will last longer in developing countries than the ps2, once they start upgrading, becasue of how much more it adds, the established online network, free games and services, and dirt cheap yet high quality games,  the PS3 can go on indefinitely where the ps2 was only really viable becasue the ps3 was too expensive.

Wii isn't dead. It has room for price cuts and I think it'll still do pretty well for the next few years simply relying on its 1st party lineup.

Kinect isn't keeping the 360's, "head above water." Its allowing the 360 to maintain strong sales without relying on MASSIVE price cuts to stimulate sales. Which is why the 360 is actually profitable, while PS3...

I agree with your statment about PS3's lasting longer than PS2 because of the online related content. Digital downloads and streaming entertainment will keep the 360 and PS3 relevant for years to come, worldwide. Although, I hear internet access in developing nations is not so great or fast. They may be an obstacle.

How will further price cuts stimulate Wii sales in any significant fashion? It's currently $150 and I've seen sales starting at $99. That price isn't an issue for very many people. The Wii is selling terribly and it's successor launches in a few months. Also consider the fact that Nintendo quickly discontinues past gen hardware and they never have made any genuine effort to capture developing markets. I can not conceive any scenario in which it hinders the PS3's continuing sales success.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

i dont see how the wii will have continued success. its already dead, so why would its all of a sudden start showing legs when wii u is out? also ps3 and 360 are only going to go down in price, which wont help the wii. the wii is just too outdated now. nobody see's any value in it. the best wii can hope for is to top 105m units sold and even thats unlikely.

Price cuts and strong casual library. It'll surpass 105m. It shouldn't be far from that at the end of this year.

I'll agree the Wii is dead when it has really bad holiday sales.

Recently Completed