By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U is 'definitely more powerful than 360 and PS3' - Scribblenauts dev

bouzane said:
Viper1 said:
bouzane said:
Cobretti2 said:
logic56 said:
says the scribblenauts developer, yeah.... no

says the guy who thinks 3ds is shit because MH4 isn't onps vita. so yer your word is credible. 

How does that change the fact that claims made by a developer that has little to no experience with the PS3 or 360 are conjectural at best? I'm not saying that their claim is untrue, I'm just saying that 5th Cell are really not the developers to be listening to when comparing the aforementioned hardware.

So the guys that work at 5th Cell have never worked for any other company?

Might they have PS3/X360 dev kits (they do)?

As far as i can tell, neither Joseph M. Tringali, Jeremiah Slaczka, Brett Caird nor Marius Falhbusch have ever developed a PS3 or 360 game with the exception of an XBLA game called Hybrid. Again, not the most credible source for making such comparisons.

Right.  Because the 4 people listed on their Wikipedia page are the entire team at 5th Cell.

I suppose the other 50 don't count.  Some might be mad that you dont' think of them.  Especially when they come from Sony themselves, SnowBlind Studios, THQ, Volition, Microsoft, Bungie, Warner Brothers Games, Sony Online, Sega, Ignition Entertainment, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Factor 5, Rare, Bionic Games, EA, Valve,.....do I need to keep going?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
bouzane said:
Viper1 said:
bouzane said:
Cobretti2 said:
logic56 said:
says the scribblenauts developer, yeah.... no

says the guy who thinks 3ds is shit because MH4 isn't onps vita. so yer your word is credible. 

How does that change the fact that claims made by a developer that has little to no experience with the PS3 or 360 are conjectural at best? I'm not saying that their claim is untrue, I'm just saying that 5th Cell are really not the developers to be listening to when comparing the aforementioned hardware.

So the guys that work at 5th Cell have never worked for any other company?

Might they have PS3/X360 dev kits (they do)?

As far as i can tell, neither Joseph M. Tringali, Jeremiah Slaczka, Brett Caird nor Marius Falhbusch have ever developed a PS3 or 360 game with the exception of an XBLA game called Hybrid. Again, not the most credible source for making such comparisons.

Right.  Because the 4 people listed on their Wikipedia page are the entire team at 5th Cell.

I suppose the other 50 don't count.  Some might be mad that you dont' think of them.  Especially when they come from Sony themselves, SnowBlind Studios, THQ, Volition, Microsoft, Bungie, Warner Brothers Games, Sony Online, Sega, Ignition Entertainment, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Factor 5, Rare, Bionic Games, EA, Valve,.....do I need to keep going?

I guess I was incorrect. It's still a single of many conflicting reports from developers, although it is more credible than claims that the WiiU will have inferior tech to the 360 and PS3. I guess we'll just have to wait to get any definitive answers.

It doesn't matter how much more powerful Wii U or XBox Next may or may not be if they don't attempt the kind of immersive use of that technical capacity for anything other than having shinier textures and effects.

Sorry but that age of graphical importance is over

They need to be about the animation quality, fluidity, and emotions going forward rather than some techical high mark achievement that adds minimal value to the gaming experience.

Oh and engaging and compelling AI must be the number 1 thing they compete on going forward as well.

cusman said:

It doesn't matter how much more powerful Wii U or XBox Next may or may not be if they don't attempt the kind of immersive use of that technical capacity for anything other than having shinier textures and effects.

Sorry but that age of graphical importance is over

They need to be about the animation quality, fluidity, and emotions going forward rather than some techical high mark achievement that adds minimal value to the gaming experience.

Oh and engaging and compelling AI must be the number 1 thing they compete on going forward as well.

I agree with this completely. Iwata has also said as much.

What we need now are better games, not better graphics. We've yet to hit the peek of what current generation graphics can do why would we need increase costs for devs?

We need more devs like these who are more worried about the games and the gameplay then trying to attain photo realism which isn't remotely possible with the current generation of tech.

The only games I've seen taht I would say were photo realistic were the ones that used actual photos(Mortal Combat for example).

Viper1 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Viper1 said:

The graphical gulf between Wii U and PS4/Next X will be closer to the graphical gulf of the Dreamcast to the rest of the 6th generation.   It will not repeat the Wii to PS3/X360 graphical gulf.

You would be surprised. Luckily Nintendo isn't worried about issues of these sorts so I wont argue this.

There is not anything to be surprised about.  I'm well versed in computer technology and can tell you my analogy provided above will be quite accurate.

I can go into some serious technical details about thermals, heat dissipation, wattage, die process ratios, etc...to back up why they can't be that huge of a jump over Wii U.

Thats good. If you've read Reggies responses to the graphics you'll find that he and Nintendo are not hung up over graphics.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Viper1 said:

There is not anything to be surprised about.  I'm well versed in computer technology and can tell you my analogy provided above will be quite accurate.

I can go into some serious technical details about thermals, heat dissipation, wattage, die process ratios, etc...to back up why they can't be that huge of a jump over Wii U.

Thats good. If you've read Reggies responses to the graphics you'll find that he and Nintendo are not hung up over graphics.

They never have been nor is it even relevent.  The gulf narrowing is't because of the power of the Wii U but the lack of power in the PS4/Next X as it relates to their 7th Generation counterparts.

You simply can't put a 250 watt GPU inside a console case without cooking the plastic you house it in.   The GPU's that the PS3 and X360 were based off of only pushed around 70-80 watts.  Everyone expecting a PS4/Next X GPU pushing anything higher than about 100-120 watts is going to be disheartened.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Viper1 said:

They never have been nor is it even relevent.  The gulf narrowing is't because of the power of the Wii U but the lack of power in the PS4/Next X as it relates to their 7th Generation counterparts.

You simply can't put a 250 watt GPU inside a console case without cooking the plastic you house it in.   The GPU's that the PS3 and X360 were based off of only pushed around 70-80 watts.  Everyone expecting a PS4/Next X GPU pushing anything higher than about 100-120 watts is going to be disheartened.

Welp, I doubt Epic is worried about Nintendos specs right now, eh? Thats my point. The pressure is really only on MS and Sony. Im betting mostly Microsoft though because you know how financially chummy MS and Epic are.

Nintendo has to focus a lot more on the Wii u's online experience than they did with the Wii. That is what they really need to improve this time around.

5th Cell has little credibility in saying that since most of its business is dependant on Nintendo's success, and honestly Scribblenauts Unlimited doesn't really show that suggested power of WiiU. Namco's Harada-san said he had trouble adapting Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on WiiU and HE develops for all platforms.

ryuzaki57 said:
5th Cell has little credibility in saying that since most of its business is dependant on Nintendo's success, and honestly Scribblenauts Unlimited doesn't really show that suggested power of WiiU. Namco's Harada-san said he had trouble adapting Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on WiiU and HE develops for all platforms.

That is a bad comparison as Harada isn't actually very familiar with the Wii U's capabilities, as you can tell by his speech patterns in the interview.  Clock speeds don't mean as much when the technology is newer, and there's the potential for more cores and for more efficiency with less power.