By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U is 'definitely more powerful than 360 and PS3' - Scribblenauts dev

theRepublic said:
lilbroex said:

A system can only have "1" killer app just as a painter can only have 1 msterpiece. A killer app refers to the game that pushes the system to is maximum potential or as close as it can be gotten to.

Nintendo has never maxed out one of there system, ever.  All killer apps on Nintendo systems have been made by third parties.

How much something sells does not determine if it is a killer app.

What?

A killer app is the application that makes people want to buy a product.  It has nothing to do with maxing out a video game console.

It really doesn't need to be limited to one either.  However, if you insist on limiting it to one, then Wii Sports is clearly the killer app for the Wii.

Me and you seem to have received two completely different definitions of the words killer app.

Though, even by the definiton that you are using, Wii Sports wouldn't fit because people didn't by the Wii "for" Wii Sports. The closest thing I can think of to being a killer app for the Wii is  Super Smash Brothers Brawl

The defintion you are using refers to the 1 game above all else that would drive people to buy the game. The word refers specifically to that one piece of software that drives people to buy a piece of hardware morso than anything other.

I suppose I could have confused those words with something similar. Oh well.

Cobretti2 said:
also a painter can have mroe than one masterpiece as art is subjective to the beholder.

Having more than one masterpiece would defeat the purpose of the word. It refers to the creators/authors greatest work out of all that he has done.

How different people perceive it should be irrevelent to that, else wise the word has no meaning.

Around the Network

Sorry but you are wrong. Lots of people baught the Wii for WIi Sports. Hence why it sold so well. It was about the motion controls for these mini games Wii Sports offered.

zarx said:

So you are predicting something arround a HD7850 for the GPU? Assuming a a 2013 release

Actually, no.  The die size is still 212 mm2 and it has a 256 bit bus width making it very expensive.    An overclocked HD 7770 makes a lot more sense. 

this is also what has been rumored as rumor 2 lol for PS4 so your guess is probably right. The other latest rumor 3 was 79XX series card.

I did read in one of your posts before abot the different shader support between dx 10 and dx 11 cards (perhaps in the epic thread).

WiiUs latest rumored GPU is a HD6770. Does thit not support dx 11 shader functions? I thought it was dx 11 capable and the only reason this has been changed by Nintendo from the HD 4850 was to accomodate the UE4 engine better (obviouly scaled down).

Perhaps the latest indications of what epic has said  about UE4 not on WiiU would lead to the conclusion Nintendo changed their minds about upgrading to HD6670?

lilbroex said:
theRepublic said:
lilbroex said:

A system can only have "1" killer app just as a painter can only have 1 msterpiece. A killer app refers to the game that pushes the system to is maximum potential or as close as it can be gotten to.

Nintendo has never maxed out one of there system, ever.  All killer apps on Nintendo systems have been made by third parties.

What?

A killer app is the application that makes people want to buy a product.  It has nothing to do with maxing out a video game console.

It really doesn't need to be limited to one either.  However, if you insist on limiting it to one, then Wii Sports is clearly the killer app for the Wii.

Me and you seem to have received two completely different definitions of the words killer app.

Though, even by the definiton that you are using, Wii Sports wouldn't fit because people didn't by the Wii "for" Wii Sports. The closest thing I can think of to being a killer app for the Wii is  Super Smash Brothers Brawl

The defintion you are using refers to the 1 game above all else that would drive people to buy the game. The word refers specifically to that one piece of software that drives people to buy a piece of hardware morso than anything other.

I wouldn't even put Smash Bros in the top four killer apps for the Wii.  Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart are the games that drove the Wii to record breaking sales from 2006 - 2008.

1. Wii Sports
2. Mario Kart Wii
3. Wii Fit
4. NSMB Wii

Smash Bros might make it as number 5, but I would have to think about it more.

"The word refers specifically to that one piece of software that drives people to buy a piece of hardware morso than anything other."

Yes, that is exactly it.

It has nothing to do with graphics or maxing out a systems capabilities.  If people are using it that way, then they have twisted the original meaning.  I have seen the same twisting with the phrase "AAA" too.  These terms have nothing to do with graphics, but the games that do fit those meanings tend to have high production values.  People who didn't understand the meaning have just taken to using them to mean "great looking game".

(As an aside, AAA really means a game that is guaranteed to bring in a ton of money for the company making it.  Thus it justifies a higher budget for itself, and has high production values.)

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I have seen the same twisting with the phrase "AAA" too.  These terms have nothing to do with graphics, but the games that do fit those meanings tend to have high production values.  People who didn't understand the meaning have just taken to using them to mean "great looking game".

(As an aside, AAA really means a game that is guaranteed to bring in a ton of money for the company making it.  Thus it justifies a higher budget for itself, and has high production values.)

Agree about the AAA, hence why I started using AAAA, the extra A for the ultra HD gfx PS4 will bring us once sony are ready to show us their significant leap improved console offcourse.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
zarx said:

So you are predicting something arround a HD7850 for the GPU? Assuming a a 2013 release

Actually, no.  The die size is still 212 mm2 and it has a 256 bit bus width making it very expensive.    An overclocked HD 7770 makes a lot more sense. 

this is also what has been rumored as rumor 2 lol for PS4 so your guess is probably right. The other latest rumor 3 was 79XX series card.

I did read in one of your posts before abot the different shader support between dx 10 and dx 11 cards (perhaps in the epic thread).

WiiUs latest rumored GPU is a HD6770. Does thit not support dx 11 shader functions? I thought it was dx 11 capable and the only reason this has been changed by Nintendo from the HD 4850 was to accomodate the UE4 engine better (obviouly scaled down).

Perhaps the latest indications of what epic has said  about UE4 not on WiiU would lead to the conclusion Nintendo changed their minds about upgrading to HD6670?

An HD 79xx series card is simply out of the question.  Any rumor with one of those cards in it is BS of the highest order and the author is merely trying to get hits to his website.

As for the DX debate...the irony is that, aside from MS based consoles (and Dreamcast because MS provided the internal OS), they don't use the DirectX API.  So the entire fight about being DX10, DX10.1 or DX11 with regards to UE4 support is irrelevent.   PS3 doesn't use the DirectX API yet it received plenty of UE3 games that were all DX9+ games on PC.

That said, specific shader support is totally up to whatever they put into their own custom API's.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

theRepublic said:
lilbroex said:
theRepublic said:
lilbroex said:

What?

I wouldn't even put Smash Bros in the top four killer apps for the Wii.  Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart are the games that drove the Wii to record breaking sales from 2006 - 2008.

1. Wii Sports
2. Mario Kart Wii
3. Wii Fit
4. NSMB Wii

"The word refers specifically to that one piece of software that drives people to buy a piece of hardware morso than anything other."

Yes, that is exactly it.

It has nothing to do with graphics or maxing out a systems capabilities.  If people are using it that way, then they have twisted the original meaning.  I have seen the same twisting with the phrase "AAA" too.  These terms have nothing to do with graphics, but the games that do fit those meanings tend to have high production values.  People who didn't understand the meaning have just taken to using them to mean "great looking game".

How much it sold does not determine if its a killer app. It is determined by how many people bought the system "for the software". Nobody felt that they had to get Wii Sport. Smash Brothers on the other hand brought a lot of first timers to the system.

Cobretti2 said:
Sorry but you are wrong. Lots of people baught the Wii for WIi Sports. Hence why it sold so well. It was about the motion controls for these mini games Wii Sports offered.

People bought the Wii for the gimmick in passing. Wii Sports just so happened to come with it. Nintendo has been doing this for years ever since the first bundle with Duck Hunt. I want to see the sales of Wii Sports outside of bundles. 

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=s1h&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=killer+app&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=xHUHUJrBGMvsrAGrue2vBA&ved=0CFoQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=924&ech=1&psi=xHUHUJrBGMvsrAGrue2vBA.1342666164674.3&emsg=NCSR&noj=1&ei=xHUHUJrBGMvsrAGrue2vBA

Web definitions
  • A killer application (commonly shortened to killer app), in the jargon of technologists, has been used to refer to any computer program that is so necessary or desirable that it proves the core value of some larger technology, such as computer hardware, gaming console, software, or an operating ...

• Whereas the world wide web was popularized by the web browser, no "killer app" has emerged that allows everyone to leverage the power of the semantic web easily. Such a catalyst may be necessary for adoptions.

• A type of software that people urgently want to buy - e.g. when the first spreadsheets appeared, around 1980, this was the "killer app" that caused personal computer sales to boom.

• This just means "the next big idea." But if you say it to your client, he'll be impressed that you can Think Out of the Box. (See Think Out of the Box)

• Slang contraction of killer application. A successful and popular software application (often written by a third party), that is generally perceived to be superior in function or that employs the latest and most impressive techniques.

• A computer program or "application" that by providing a superior method for accomplishing a task in a new way becomes indispensable to computer users. Examples are word processors and spreadsheets.

• The Killer Application, the utilization of the company technology that will hit the market and sell BIG.  The best utilization of the core technology.

"Killer App" has always been about sales and adoption through proving the importance of a technology; it has never had anything to do with pushing the limits of hardware.

lilbroex said:
theRepublic said:

1. Wii Sports
2. Mario Kart Wii
3. Wii Fit
4. NSMB Wii

Yes, that is exactly it.

How much it sold does not determine if its a killer app. It is determined by how many people bought the system "for the software". Nobody felt that they had to get Wii Sport. Smash Brothers on the other hand brought a lot of first timers to the system.

You have to be joking.

Smash Bros sold 7 million on the Gamecube.  It sold 11 million on the Wii.

Mario Kart sold 7 million on the Gamecube.  It sold 32 million on the Wii.

And you somehow think "Smash Brothers on the other hand brought a lot of first timers to the system."  How can you think that?

Here is some more.

Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus combined to sell 43 million.

Wii Sports sold 79 million.  It did 3.77 million in Japan where it was not bundled with the console.  It is the second best selling Wii game in Japan, only behind NSMB Wii.  Wii Sports moved consoles.  Worldwide.  End of story.

Speaking of NSMB Wii, it sold 25 and a half million.

Wii Sports Resort sold 30 million.

I love Smash Bros.  It is my most played game on the Wii.  But what you are saying is ridiculous.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)