By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U is 'definitely more powerful than 360 and PS3' - Scribblenauts dev

EDIT: Sorry. I'm sure Wii U is more powerful than PS360

Around the Network

what about gearbox. They themself had said that Aliens Colonial Marines will look best on WiiU.

people going to ignore that one?

The fact is the WiiU is better than P360. The anti WiiU people are assuming that because we say it is better that we automatically are saying it is MILES above similar to the PS3/360 gap was to Wi, when infact everything points to it being about 2x-3x.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Aielyn said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
lol....Are you serious? Anyone who as read up on the Wii U knows that it will be slightly more powerful than current gen consoles. That being said, when the next Playstation and Xbox come out they will be far ahead, much like this where the Wii stood this gen to the PS3 and 360.

Really? The next PS and Xbox will be "far ahead"? Do you have a source for this claim?

Oh, right - it's an assumption based on personal opinion. Carry on.

My "assumptions" are based on demands set by Epic and other companies who put out new engines.

Actually, they're based on rumours of demands set by Epic and other companies combined with personal opinion. Note that Epic's talk regarding UE4 suggests that the Wii U might be a bit weak to run UE4 at intended level, but not dramatically so. So if rumours are accurate, the next consoles don't have to be "far ahead", only somewhat ahead. You know, PS2 vs GC/Xbox type distance. There are things that the GC and Xbox could do that the PS2 couldn't (see comparison of RE4 for PS2 and RE4 for GC as an example, as it's one of the rare cases of a game designed for GC then downported to PS2).

Cobretti2 said:
logic56 said:
says the scribblenauts developer, yeah.... no

says the guy who thinks 3ds is shit because MH4 isn't onps vita. so yer your word is credible. 

Ad hominem attacks are not the right way to address things. Certainly not when there are simpler ways to defuse logic56's point.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Aielyn said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Aielyn said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
lol....Are you serious? Anyone who as read up on the Wii U knows that it will be slightly more powerful than current gen consoles. That being said, when the next Playstation and Xbox come out they will be far ahead, much like this where the Wii stood this gen to the PS3 and 360.

Really? The next PS and Xbox will be "far ahead"? Do you have a source for this claim?

Oh, right - it's an assumption based on personal opinion. Carry on.

My "assumptions" are based on demands set by Epic and other companies who put out new engines.

Actually, they're based on rumours of demands set by Epic and other companies combined with personal opinion. Note that Epic's talk regarding UE4 suggests that the Wii U might be a bit weak to run UE4 at intended level, but not dramatically so. So if rumours are accurate, the next consoles don't have to be "far ahead", only somewhat ahead. You know, PS2 vs GC/Xbox type distance. There are things that the GC and Xbox could do that the PS2 couldn't (see comparison of RE4 for PS2 and RE4 for GC as an example, as it's one of the rare cases of a game designed for GC then downported to PS2).

It's been agreed upon in the media that its U4's differences from U3's power requirements on this gens consoles will be exponential. U3 took current HD consoles to their limit. If the existing consoles cannot handle U4 the Wii U will barely be able to scratch the surface and survive. As I said before, luckily its Nintendo. Games should be tailor made for their platforms. Sony and Microsoft will be warring against themselves.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
It's been agreed upon in the media that its U4's differences from U3's power requirements on this gens consoles will be exponential. U3 took current HD consoles to their limit. If the existing consoles cannot handle U4 the Wii U will barely be able to scratch the surface and survive. As I said before, luckily its Nintendo. Games should be tailor made for their platforms. Sony and Microsoft will be warring against themselves.

"media". Yeah.

And it sounds like UE4's best applications have to do with capabilities of the GPU, rather than power. Otherwise, Epic wouldn't have been quite clear about it being scaleable.

Viper1 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Viper1 said:

There is not anything to be surprised about.  I'm well versed in computer technology and can tell you my analogy provided above will be quite accurate.

I can go into some serious technical details about thermals, heat dissipation, wattage, die process ratios, etc...to back up why they can't be that huge of a jump over Wii U.

Thats good. If you've read Reggies responses to the graphics you'll find that he and Nintendo are not hung up over graphics.

They never have been nor is it even relevent.  The gulf narrowing is't because of the power of the Wii U but the lack of power in the PS4/Next X as it relates to their 7th Generation counterparts.

You simply can't put a 250 watt GPU inside a console case without cooking the plastic you house it in.   The GPU's that the PS3 and X360 were based off of only pushed around 70-80 watts.  Everyone expecting a PS4/Next X GPU pushing anything higher than about 100-120 watts is going to be disheartened.

So you are predicting something arround a HD7850 for the GPU? Assuming a a 2013 release

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Viper1 said:

They never have been nor is it even relevent.  The gulf narrowing is't because of the power of the Wii U but the lack of power in the PS4/Next X as it relates to their 7th Generation counterparts.

You simply can't put a 250 watt GPU inside a console case without cooking the plastic you house it in.   The GPU's that the PS3 and X360 were based off of only pushed around 70-80 watts.  Everyone expecting a PS4/Next X GPU pushing anything higher than about 100-120 watts is going to be disheartened.

Welp, I doubt Epic is worried about Nintendos specs right now, eh? Thats my point. The pressure is really only on MS and Sony. Im betting mostly Microsoft though because you know how financially chummy MS and Epic are.

Epic may be pressuring Sony and MS but I don't care how much Epic pressures the laws of physics they can't pack in more heat than can be properly dissipated.

zarx said:

So you are predicting something arround a HD7850 for the GPU? Assuming a a 2013 release

Actually, no.  The die size is still 212 mm2 and it has a 256 bit bus width making it very expensive.    An overclocked HD 7770 makes a lot more sense. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised

lilbroex said:

A system can only have "1" killer app just as a painter can only have 1 msterpiece. A killer app refers to the game that pushes the system to is maximum potential or as close as it can be gotten to.

Nintendo has never maxed out one of there system, ever.  All killer apps on Nintendo systems have been made by third parties.

How much something sells does not determine if it is a killer app.

What?

A killer app is the application that makes people want to buy a product.  It has nothing to do with maxing out a video game console.

It really doesn't need to be limited to one either.  However, if you insist on limiting it to one, then Wii Sports is clearly the killer app for the Wii.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

also a painter can have mroe than one masterpiece as art is subjective to the beholder.