By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's screwed.

Quite possibly the most brilliant OP I've ever read. Well done, sir. You seem have great analytical skills.

Around the Network

Only an idiot would actually believe that it would only be as powerful as a 360. Even the Wii was more powerful than the previous gen.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Wow.  Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and it's true that (almost) anything is possible, but most of your predictions are either refutable or just impossible to tell yet:

The guy from MS who said that WiU is little more than a 360 is correct. 

We really don't know that yet.  Don't forget how Gears of War made the 360's launch games look like a joke just a year later.  If WiiU's second year games make, say, Project P-100 look like that then WiiU will be just fine graphically.  I seriously doubt it will be so inferior to its 8th gen competition that it will be left out anywhere near as bad as the Wii was this gen.

Kinect sold more 360s than 3D did for the PS3 or 3DS.

Agreed, but 3DS is doing fine regardless of this, and will continue to do even better going forward.

The extra screen WILL NOT sell the Wii-U.

I disagree, if utilized in creative ways.

PREDICTION: Not a single 'assymetric gameplay' game will hit 10M or 20M.

No way of knowing that yet.

Nintendo has absolutely no idea what they're doing. A year in and we're already seeing the 3DSXL. Desperation.

?  Seriously?  We're getting the 3DSXL about the same amount of time after launch as the DS Lite came after the DS launch.  Not to mention that Nintendo will inevitably start making the standard 3DS with the improved features (better battery, buttons and aesthetics) as well.

2D Mari-U will do no more for WiiU than MK7 did for 3ds.

Actually, MK7 did pretty nicely by 3DS.  But I believe that Mari-U will do even more for WiiU with things like Mii-verse and the fact that it's the first Mario game at a Nintendo home console launch in 16 years.

The extra screen will hardly be used after the first year, maybe Nintendo will keep using it but 3rd parties will prety much drop it for it's GAMING features.

I doubt that (in fact, Smartglass is a sign that other companies are adopting similar ideas), but again, no way of knowing yet.

If Nintendo wins next gen it will be because Sony and MS completely eff up. Sony's nearly out of here but MS should win if they don't focus on Kinect and continue appealing to the PC gamer.

Don't agree with the first sentence, IF Nintendo plays smart with the direction they're going.  It's too early to tell with either point in the second sentence.

PREDICTION: If Wii-U has a 10M or 20M seller it will be because of motion control or symmetric local multiplayer.

Personally, I believe that Nintendo's idea of asymmetrical gameplay could be a big hit if implemented correctly.

I realize you're just predicting here but I believe that you're being overly presumptuous with this thread.  Personally, I predict that WiiU will have amassed a 15m+ install base before either the NeXtBox or PS4 hit the market.  Considering that the 360 only had around 5m when PS3 arrived, that bodes well for WiiU's future.

Persistantthug said:

I forsee Nintendo leaving the home console business after this and sticking to handhelds and going 3rd party like Sega did.

Poor Nintendo. It's always doom this and doom that. I think people need to be a little more optimistic about Nintendo's future. They'll be fine.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:

PREDICTION: Kinect will sell more 360s/720s than an extra (controller) screen will for Wii-U.

Hard to measure. How will we know, how much WiiUs are sold because of the controller?

Pyro as Bill said:

The extra screen WILL NOT sell the Wii-U.

Hmm, it could have games with interesting uses for this. ZombiU showed some stuff.

Pyro as Bill said:

PREDICTION: Not a single 'assymetric gameplay' game will hit 10M or 20M.

I agree here, except if NintendoLand is an pack-in, it will do more then 20M.

Pyro as Bill said:

Nintendo has absolutely no idea what they're doing. A year in and we're already seeing the 3DSXL.

After a year we saw the DSLite. I agree that Nintendo lost a bit of focus, but they are far from having no idea at all.

Pyro as Bill said:

2D Mari-U will do no more for WiiU than MK7 did for 3ds.

Although I not understand why, 2D Mario is big and will move hardware. That said, Mario Kart Wii moved a bit more then NSMB Wii, so probably both titles are important.

Pyro as Bill said:

The extra screen will hardly be used after the first year, maybe Nintendo will keep using it but 3rd parties will prety much drop it for it's GAMING features.

Maybe, but I see useful stuff with it, as I said before - ZombiU shows that it is more than a gimmick.

Pyro as Bill said:

If Nintendo wins next gen it will be because Sony and MS completely eff up. Sony's nearly out of here but MS should win if they don't focus on Kinect and continue appealing to the PC gamer.

It's hard to predict the winner for next-gen now, as we don't know about MS and Sony's (and possibly someone else?) offerings for next-gen.

But I think that Nintendo has more to struggle with the WiiU, than it did with the Wii.

Pyro as Bill said:

PREDICTION: If Wii-U has a 10M or 20M seller it will be because of motion control or symmetric local multiplayer.

This gen on home-console only NSMB Wii, SMG, Call of Duty (multiple titles) and Halo sold more than 10 million and are not about motion control and local multiplayer. Call of Duty was never big on Nintendo-plattforms, that leaves us with Mario. As NSMBU is a launch-title, I'm pretty sure it can do 10 million. Again, if Nintendo-land is a pack-in it will do also more than 10M. So I would bet against this prediction.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Persistantthug said:

Nintendo has had to resort to begging for 3rd party support, and they won't even get half.  This shows that 3rd party devs and publishers have little faith in Nintendo....honestly, I can't blame them.  Nintendo has always been for kids and devs and publishers aren't interested in Nintendo's BS censorship or strict bs guidelines (Nintendo denied BINDING OF ISAAK).  Not only that, but they, as well as everyone else knows that their grandma and soccer mom fanbase is going to dissipate and the Wii U will be lucky if it can achieve GAMECUBE unit numbers.

I also take that bet. I bet the WiiU sells more units than Gamecube. If you are not trolling and really believe what you say, you would take that bet.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Busted said:
-The Nintendo Wii U will become the best selling console of all time with a mark of 193.984.402 units.

(margin of error 1,3%)

You mean after the coming gen console-gaming is over or will not grow, as no future console will break this number? DOOOOOOOOOM!

I give this thread a 2/10

You tried to hard...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

archbrix said: 

I realize you're just predicting here but I believe that you're being overly presumptuous with this thread.  Personally, I predict that WiiU will have amassed a 15m+ install base before either the NeXtBox or PS4 hit the market.  Considering that the 360 only had around 5m when PS3 arrived, that bodes well for WiiU's future.

15M in a year or less? I take this bet. Or better I say: Challenge accepted! The WiiU will not have sold 15M or more, at the time the Nextbox or PS4 hit the shelves.