By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Films That Scare You

Tagged games:

So I was reading the Dead Space thread and how it scares some people who played it.

I was wondering what films have ranged from making you feel scared to downright terrified watching them. Or are there even some films you just can't watch?

Personally I can only think of three films that genuinely scared me. The Ring (2002) The Grudge (2004) and The Exorcist (1973). The Ring I watched in the cinema and it scared the hell out of me. I didn't even know what it was about, hadn't even seen a trailer. I left the cinema feeling uneasy and couldn't shake the feeling until the next day.

The Exorcist I watched at age 12 and few scenes were a bit haunting, especially at that age.

The Grudge was far less scary, just a general uneasy feeling watching it with a few creepy bits.

Other mentions: Paranormal Activity 3 had a few jumpy bits, Insidious was a bit scary up until about half-way through and The Blair Witch project which I watched on a farm alone with the lights out made me feel very, very uneasy.

I'm a big fan of scary/horror movies, especially ones with a supernatural element to them. I wish there were more films that would actually scare me, seriously I need a fix, I almost want to be traumatized by a film that's so scary I will spend days hiding under my bed. Alas, I've seen nothing recently that's truly scary, just a wave of films relying on the same old gimicks, camera angles and music to acheive a scant few moments that make you jump.

So list any films that scare you!

Around the Network

Probably any movie that is designated as a horror movie. I am seriously a baby with horror movies.

NintendoPie said:

Probably any movie that is designated as a horror movie. I am seriously a baby with horror movies.

Well what would be the scariest movie you have watched?

Stanley Kubricks, The Shining, with Jack Nicholson. Never fails to freak me out, also my all-time favorite Horror Movie.

the entity - mostly because of my own personal experience
two guys one horse - the guy on the receiving end died a day or so later

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
NintendoPie said:

Well what would be the scariest movie you have watched?

Hmm... I really dislike 30 Days of Night, I also didn't like Prometheus because of the gore. There are probably more but I can't remember.

Not really a big fan of horror/thriller and such, usually I find them more disgusting than scary.

Event Horizon is a scary film though (no ninpie, you're too young!)

There have been odd moments in films where something genuinely surprises me (In Jaws when someone dives under to inspect under a boat and a head appears from a hole in the hull) but usually whenever something happens in a film that surprises the character, it is made way too obvious to the viewer.

I do like some of the well made ones such as The Shining, Hannibal and Alien series, but I wouldn't say I am actually scared while watching them.

room414 said:
the entity - mostly because of my own personal experience

Please explain...

Nowadays horror movies don't scare me at all, which pisses me off! I am constantly searching for a movie that will scare me, but I haven't come across one yet. However, when I was 10 I watched sleepy hollow and that scared the shit out of me, but when I watch it nowadays I laugh at its absurdity...

The only movie that actually scared the living s*** out of me was Event Horizon, but that was because I saw it first when I was 10 years old (one of the very first DVDs my dad ever bought).

Too much psychological mindfuck horror for such a young mind . I only managed to see the movie again when I was 18, and had no trouble seeing it then.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"