By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blu-Rays may not be big enough for Square-Enix

Darc Requiem said:
Some developers have not benefited from the additional space optical discs have provided. Square Enix is one of them. I mean FFXIII was only 6.8GB without the CG. It has 31.6GB of CG. They need to get their priorities straight. They need to get back to making RPGS with great characters, stories, with expansive worlds.

The problem is that since FF VII they have had this cinematics to impress us, and we kind of expect those from them. If they launch a new game with them they  will face criticism from some "fans" aswell, so they still do them.

It's a problem that they have created and that they can't avoid now.

But the funny-weird thing is that they only have this problem with Final Fantasy/Square games. Dragon Quest/Enix and Eidos games are perfectly fine without them.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

My opinion of Square started to diminish with the release of FFVII. I never cared for the game and still don't see why it's revered on any level.

^I'm not the most indicated to talk about FF VII as it was my first FF and I never finished it.

I've only played nº 7, 9 and 10, and my personal order would be 9, 10 and lastly 7.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Mr Khan said:
outlawauron said:
Mr Khan said:
TruckOSaurus said:
They should focus on playable game content instead of making incredibly well rendered mountains.

Indeed. It seems Square Enix continues to remain ignorant of their own problems.

So, the guy in charge of tech and making this engine should worrying about things that aren't his job?

His bosses should be sending him in a less wasteful direction. I'm sure he's doing good at what he's been told to do, but shouldn't have been told to do it.

What should he be doing then? Making a worse engine? Move him to work with writers and artists? I'm not quite sure as this is pretty much his specialization. Nothing in his job description (at any company) would involve anything but this type of technical work.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
What should he be doing then? Making a worse engine? Move him to work with writers and artists? I'm not quite sure as this is pretty much his specialization. Nothing in his job description (at any company) would involve anything but this type of technical work.

How about having him work on the part of the engine handling gameplay? Working with designers of gameplay ideas to incorporate new gameplay ideas into the engine?

Alternatively, he could focus his effort on coming up with new graphical techniques that would enable games made with the engine to have new and distinctive looks that aren't just "more detail".

Around the Network
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
torok said:
mysticwolf said:
50 GB for one game? that's crazy. How big was FF13 on PS3?

I can imagine like 15-20 years from now the average game size is 100 GB lol

Uncharted 3 - 45~50 GB

Killzone 3 - 41 GB

God of War 3 - 35 GB

Metal Gear Solid 4 - 30 GB

Actually, some devs are already using a full bluray disc.

CGI cut scenes take up a lot of Blu Ray disc space confirmed. Next generation can not come soon enough for developers. 25 GB per layer on Blu Ray disc and Blue Rays are dual layered. Blu -Ray discs can hold up to 8 layers * 25GB, potentially 200GB of data on one Blu Ray disc.

also

Uncharted 1 ~23 GB

Uncharted 2 ~22 GB

anyway none of the uncharted series, Killzone series, or God Of War uses CGI. their cutscenes are in engine.

i do think MGS4 does though.

I think that perhaps most developers in the world find that notion a tad silly, as do I. When a massive epos like The Witcher 2 takes up about 15GB, there's no reason why any game today should take more than 50GB, not to mention 128GB, that's plain stupid in my opinion.

Aielyn said:
outlawauron said:

How about having him work on the part of the engine handling gameplay? Working with designers of gameplay ideas to incorporate new gameplay ideas into the engine?

Alternatively, he could focus his effort on coming up with new graphical techniques that would enable games made with the engine to have new and distinctive looks that aren't just "more detail".

He won't be working with designers as the engine most likely isn't completed nor intended for any of the current consoles (most likely including Wii U as well). I don't see how the two things are separate. By creating the engine, you create input tools to create a world, people in it, and their interactions within it. You can't tailor anything to it without a game in place, and your last comment about 'more detail' is pretty unfounded considering we've only had a single tech demo.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Darc Requiem said:
Some developers have not benefited from the additional space optical discs have provided. Square Enix is one of them. I mean FFXIII was only 6.8GB without the CG. It has 31.6GB of CG. They need to get their priorities straight. They need to get back to making RPGS with great characters, stories, with expansive worlds.

SE went down hill the day Sakaguchi left. Now Sakaguchi is makinng near FF standard games and he holds grudges. SE cannot get over that he left a huge shadow over them and fans keep asking for remakes of Sakaguchis game to supplement the shit SE is coming out with on their own with Nomura, who is a good concept artist but not a director.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Darc Requiem said:

SE went down hill the day Sakaguchi left. Now Sakaguchi is makinng near FF standard games and he holds grudges. SE cannot get over that he left a huge shadow over them and fans keep asking for remakes of Sakaguchis game to supplement the shit SE is coming out with on their own with Nomura, who is a good concept artist but not a director.

I don't disagree with your assessment S.T.A.G.E. It's on the mark.