By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blu-Rays may not be big enough for Square-Enix

zarx said:
If you read the source he is talking about games using the Luminous engine using CGI quality assets in game that is not possible on PS3...

If you trace the quote chain back you will find you are the person who brought the PS3 into the conversation.

I wasn't the first one to bring up the PS3 in the thread, but I think I may have confused a conversation in here with one in another thread (probably the one saying that MS need to release a console soon).

But then, I mentioned the PS3 thing because it's relevant to the issue of BluRay disc space in general. Conversations don't have to remain laser-locked to the OP, that just provides the topic of discussion. If you haven't noticed, a lot of people haven't said much regarding Square Enix - the discussion has been around BluRay itself, and alternative game distribution (holodisc, download, card, etc), and on why so much space gets used in general.

Thus, the PS3's ability (or rather, lack of ability) to play BluRay discs of more than two layers is relevant to the discussion. And you'll notice that the person I pointed out that "one last fact" to had no problem with me bringing it up.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
zarx said:
If you read the source he is talking about games using the Luminous engine using CGI quality assets in game that is not possible on PS3...

If you trace the quote chain back you will find you are the person who brought the PS3 into the conversation.

I wasn't the first one to bring up the PS3 in the thread, but I think I may have confused a conversation in here with one in another thread (probably the one saying that MS need to release a console soon).

But then, I mentioned the PS3 thing because it's relevant to the issue of BluRay disc space in general. Conversations don't have to remain laser-locked to the OP, that just provides the topic of discussion. If you haven't noticed, a lot of people haven't said much regarding Square Enix - the discussion has been around BluRay itself, and alternative game distribution (holodisc, download, card, etc), and on why so much space gets used in general.

Thus, the PS3's ability (or rather, lack of ability) to play BluRay discs of more than two layers is relevant to the discussion. And you'll notice that the person I pointed out that "one last fact" to had no problem with me bringing it up.

Still it's not really relevent as no current gen game is pushing 50GB let alone more, I don't see any need for bigger discs on the PS3 (and IMO I doubt we will be seeing many next gen games push more than 50GB ether TBH, unless we see a truely massive leap in hardware and also market conditions to support such large production costs). And alternative media such as holodisc and cards etc arrent aplicable to current gen consoles ether.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
Aielyn said:
zarx said:

Still it's not really relevent as no current gen game is pushing 50GB let alone more, I don't see any need for bigger discs on the PS3 (and IMO I doubt we will be seeing many next gen games push more than 50GB ether TBH, unless we see a truely massive leap in hardware and also market conditions to support such large production costs). And alternative media such as holodisc and cards etc arrent aplicable to current gen consoles ether.

I concur. Very few games will be a huge production next gen, just like this gen. Most companies wont  be able to afford it. They will most likely utilize max 60-80 GB triple layered Blu Ray's will suffice (which wont even max out the disc). This generation has killed more companies than I can count. Its only a handful of companies that have the ability to publish an  all out AAA title. No need to talk about Holodisc, because Blu Ray will most likely be the last disc before we go into the digital age. It holds too much space and every generation its quality expands upon everything viewed upon it.

So, can we say that Blu-Rays are and will be enough for everyone except those that abuse from CGIs?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
So, can we say that Blu-Rays are and will be enough for everyone even those that abuse from CGIs?

fixed

Really next gen Sony/MS will support BDXL which is up to 128GB that is ~7 hours of Blu-Ray quality 1080p video or arround ~3h 30m of 4K video if they go that route, which knowing Sony they at least will try it. And maybe by the time the consoles launch they might even support the 200GB discs for more future proofing. I bet 90% of game for the first 5 years of next gen won't even max out a 50GB disc. Most games today actually are under 7.4GB and the added cost of using larger media alone will be enough reason not to go bigger that 50GB next gen let alone creating the content, Final Fantasy and a few Sony first party will probably be it for pushing past 50GB.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Around the Network

@zarx: Ok, so there is no cause for alarm, it's just an exageration from Square-Enix.

zarx said:

Most games today actually are under 7.4GB and the added cost of using larger media alone will be enough reason not to go bigger that 50GB next gen let alone creating the content, Final Fantasy and a few Sony first party will probably be it for pushing past 50GB.

Don't forget Kojima with Metal Gear, he also likes to make movies.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

@zarx: Ok, so there is no cause for alarm, it's just an exageration from Square-Enix.

zarx said:

Most games today actually are under 7.4GB and the added cost of using larger media alone will be enough reason not to go bigger that 50GB next gen let alone creating the content, Final Fantasy and a few Sony first party will probably be it for pushing past 50GB.

I suppose, tho I was kinda hoping he had given up on lossless 7.1 audio, most people can't even tell the difference even if they have the right equipment.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

JEMC said:

zarx said:

IMO, this has nothing todo with movies, they'll stays the same size. However, they are probably intend to capitalize on next gen consoles Graphic capiilities, using bigger textures and cutting on varios cost factors, which will increase required space...

wfz said:
I am not looking forward to downloading 50GB+ games in the next 5 years...

I can download that amount in under 2 hours with my home internet connction and connections will improve further in the next few years.  We sometimes forget how fast technology improves.  That being said I doubt many people would want to pay for the required unlimited data usage premium they'd need to use a digital download service of that size. 

On topic I'd say the only reason you would run over budget on space on a Bluray to this extent is through uncompressed audio and large video files. Actual in game assets will always be compressed to improve performance unless the media it is stored on as a vastly superior transfer rate to current optical devices. As such it's just posturing by SE I think to ensure the next gen will have at least Bluray capacities. Personally I'd rather they just learned to use in engine cutscenes as I hate the obivous disparity between CGI and then returning to the game engine. I personally think it's disengaging when a CGI video starts now having got used to most games using the engine.