By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blu-Rays may not be big enough for Square-Enix

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
torok said:
mysticwolf said:
50 GB for one game? that's crazy. How big was FF13 on PS3?

I can imagine like 15-20 years from now the average game size is 100 GB lol

Uncharted 3 - 45~50 GB

Killzone 3 - 41 GB

God of War 3 - 35 GB

Metal Gear Solid 4 - 30 GB

Actually, some devs are already using a full bluray disc.

CGI cut scenes take up a lot of Blu Ray disc space confirmed. Next generation can not come soon enough for developers. 25 GB per layer on Blu Ray disc and Blue Rays are dual layered. Blu -Ray discs can hold up to 8 layers * 25GB, potentially 200GB of data on one Blu Ray disc.

Indeed. But GoW doesn't have CGI (except for some parts, but all arte short). MGS 4 doesn't have it too and I'm pretty sure that Uncharted doesn't have too (or at least have only a few). All that GBs are pure game size...

Around the Network
JEMC said:

@Aielyn: As I said, I'd love to go back to cartridges, even if the means wait for the next next-gen.

As for Holo discs... sorry but if you take into consideration that the Co. that has made all the work has gone down (so the price won't go down to affordable levels in a long, long time), add the fact that Blu-Ray sales haven't been as good as expected (has it surpassed DVDs already?) and take into consideration the push that has been given to digital content, I don't see a very bright future for holo discs.

The point I was making was that Nintendo are clearly interested in that technology in general. InPhase wasn't the only company working on Holographic discs, just the one that holds the joint-patent with Nintendo. Also, the company hasn't actually gone down, it's declared bankruptcy - there is actually a difference. The company does still exist.

EDIT: Hmmm... looks like they've sold off most of their assets, though. Interestingly, someone picked them up, and are preparing to start shipping very soon:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/17/hvault/

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226284/HVault_announces_holographic_storage_system_with_petabytes_of_capacity

Anyway, looks like they may actually have found a way around the flaws that InPhase had, and have a better business plan. I don't have a clue what the prices are going to look like, though.

haxxiy said:
Extremely unlikely. Every disc costed thousands of dollars just a few years ago, and unless found a way to do what InPhase didn't manage to do over 10 years and $100,000,000 of R&D, and reduce disc costs by the order of a few magnitudes in a few years, and create a feasible way to manufacture and distribute them, it's impossible, and even then we'd be in N64 levels of media inconvenience.

You have a better chance of seeing a quantum processor inside of the Wii-U... unless you meant after the Wii U? Well we don't even know if there is still going to be a market for consoles by then, or how technology is going to develop, so the point is moot. Anyways if anyone were to introduce a new media, that'd probably be Sony.

"a few years ago" is a fairly long time. Also, the discs only cost $180. It was the reader that cost thousands of dollars.

It takes lots of R&D and expensive early products to develop new technology. Of course they were going to be expensive.

And yes, I was talking about what comes after Wii U - the next generation after the upcoming one. And while we can speculate about whether the market will still be there (I expect that it will, although it may look somewhat different), it's just as interesting to speculate on where Nintendo is expecting to go, and I think they have their eye on holographic media.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that Nintendo would be "introducing" the new media. I'm suggesting that they intend to hold a few key patents, and then use it in their future consoles - thereby forcing competitors to either pay royalties or find an alternative medium. Can you think of another reason why Nintendo would have partnered with InPhase to such an extent that they now hold a joint patent?

torok said:

Indeed. But GoW doesn't have CGI (except for some parts, but all arte short). MGS 4 doesn't have it too and I'm pretty sure that Uncharted doesn't have too (or at least have only a few). All that GBs are pure game size...

GoW 3 has a 2.5h HD making of doco on the disc 

as for Uncharted 3 

"There are some "luxuries" in that allocation - 3.24GB of behind-the-scenes movies, 7GB of foreign language audio, and 10GB of 3D movies (pre-rendered cut-scenes are stored both in 2D and 3D versions) but by our reckoning there's at least 16GB of core game data being used in this game"

from digital foundry

Also the Blu-Ray drive has long seek times which means devs use a lot of data duplication to minimise load times as well, the technique is used on 360 as well but less so as disc space is at a premium on that side and seek times are slightly better. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Andrespetmonkey said:
haxxiy said:
Don't top line blu-rays manage to store even more than 50GB?

Up to 128gb I think

I've read data that states they can hold as much as 500GB in test environments...

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

Around the Network
wfz said:
I am not looking forward to downloading 50GB+ games in the next 5 years...

This is why I don't see Digital Games as massive of a proffit as some developers and gamers think. I have to wait 3-5 days to download 7gb games (daring only to leave my PS3 on for eight hours)...50gb or even 10bg I would not even bother downloading.

Mr Khan said:
TruckOSaurus said:
They should focus on playable game content instead of making incredibly well rendered mountains.

Indeed. It seems Square Enix continues to remain ignorant of their own problems.

So, the guy in charge of tech and making this engine should worrying about things that aren't his job?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

GamerRant said:
wfz said:
I am not looking forward to downloading 50GB+ games in the next 5 years...

This is why I don't see Digital Games as massive of a proffit as some developers and gamers think. I have to wait 3-5 days to download 7gb games (daring only to leave my PS3 on for eight hours)...50gb or even 10bg I would not even bother downloading.

Going digital makes more sense in PCs as the game can be heavily compressed as we have to install the game before playing it, unlike consoles.

That's why games that take 2 DVDs on the Xbox360 come only in 1 disc on PC.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

outlawauron said:
Mr Khan said:
TruckOSaurus said:
They should focus on playable game content instead of making incredibly well rendered mountains.

Indeed. It seems Square Enix continues to remain ignorant of their own problems.

So, the guy in charge of tech and making this engine should worrying about things that aren't his job?

His bosses should be sending him in a less wasteful direction. I'm sure he's doing good at what he's been told to do, but shouldn't have been told to do it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Some developers have not benefited from the additional space optical discs have provided. Square Enix is one of them. I mean FFXIII was only 6.8GB without the CG. It has 31.6GB of CG. They need to get their priorities straight. They need to get back to making RPGS with great characters, stories, with expansive worlds.