By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blu-Rays may not be big enough for Square-Enix

mor2 said:
JEMC said:

@zarx: Ok, so there is no cause for alarm, it's just an exageration from Square-Enix.

zarx said:

Most games today actually are under 7.4GB and the added cost of using larger media alone will be enough reason not to go bigger that 50GB next gen let alone creating the content, Final Fantasy and a few Sony first party will probably be it for pushing past 50GB.

Don't forget Kojima with Metal Gear, he also likes to make movies.

IMO, this has nothing todo with movies, they'll stays the same size. However, they are probably intend to capitalize on next gen consoles Graphic capiilities, using bigger textures and cutting on varios cost factors, which will increase required space...

The MaLDoHD mod that adds more HD textures to Crysis 2 that makes it look like this 

vs the origonal (note not the same area)

With over 1000 new textures ways in at just 808MB

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

@zarx: That spectacular improvement in Crysis 2 in due only thanks to the texture pack or does the DX 11 patch has also something to do with it?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

@zarx : I am not sure what's your point, there was no suggestion that this is not possible to implement it in such way, only that in the way Square-Enix implemented it does(for whatever reason, development cost, quality, some kind of performance boost avoiding compressing/decompressing, install time, I dont know whatever).

Also texture? crysis use textures as well, what size is the new HD ones, 4K ?

JEMC said:

@zarx: That spectacular improvement in Crysis 2 in due only thanks to the texture pack or does the DX 11 patch has also something to do with it?

Well the DX11 pack is required, it also has some extream DOF which is pretty horrible, but more imortantly it has parallax mapping (givs the illusion of depth to the cracks) and specular map (gives the shiny highlights) added.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

mor2 said:

@zarx : I am not sure what's your point, there was no suggest that this is not possible to implement it in such way, only that in the way Square-Enix implemented it does(for whatever reason, development cost, quality, some kind of performance boost avoiding compressing/decompressing, install time, I dont know whatever).

Also texture? crysis use textures as well, what size is the new HD ones, 4K ?

pack uses 2k by 2k mostly vs the base mostly 512 by 512, and all games use textures. As for Square Enix using more space I get the impression that the guy was talking about the unoptomised CGI quality assets that were used in th demo vs what would be actually in a game, and he interpreted the question as if they were going to use that quality of assets for an entire game but that is my interpritation. It could be they don't reuse textures or at least reuse less, RAGE for example uses Megatextures where every single inch of the enviroment has it's own unique texture which pushed the game up to 22GB, but that is kinda wasteful in terms of development resources for arguable gains.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Around the Network
zarx said:
JEMC said:

Well the DX11 pack is required, it also has some extream DOF which is pretty horrible, but more imortantly it has parallax mapping (givs the illusion of depth to the cracks) and specular map (gives the shiny highlights) added.

Ok, so it's thanks to both the DX 11 and the textures.

Thanks.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.