By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The AMAZING Spider-Man Thread -- Soo who's seeing it? **Main Theme Added**

Jumping in on the issue of more movies/villains--Spider-Man has a TON of villains! Even his villain the Kingpin got big enough to become a Daredevil Villain. The thing with about 90% of Spidey's villains are that they were nothing more than interesting premises with no depth. Just something to keep him busy while the story focused on what was going on with Peter Parker/Spider-Man as a character or letting him meet up with other characters from the Marvel Universe.

Yeah, he's got a few iconic ones like Doc Ock, Venom, Green Goblin, Kraven, and such. It's just that he's got too many Hydro-Man, Vulture, Lizard Man, Jackal style enemies. They just feel like the "Villain of the Week" compared to the epic foes that characters like Batman and Captain America have faced.

Anyhoo, here's the Death of (Ultimate) Spider-Man.  Enjoy:

Around the Network

I really enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man. I do think they spent a little too much time on the origin stuff, but overall this is the Spider-Man movie that Sam Rami should have made.

d21lewis said:
I'm gonna see it today. Anybody know if the 3D is good or should I stick with the 2D version?

GO watch it in 3D!!! one of the best use of 3D I have yet seen!

Boutros said:
I much prefer the Tobey Spider-Man. He makes a lot more sense.

Why would a guy like the Garfield Spider-Man who has cool hair, good looks and a bad ass attitude (+ he does skateboard!) have no friends and get bullied?

Toby was not my favorite actor. He seemed too boring and his crying scenes were pretty sad... in a bad way. 

NintendoPie said:
Boutros said:

Why would a guy like the Garfield Spider-Man who has cool hair, good looks and a bad ass attitude (+ he does skateboard!) have no friends and get bullied?

Toby was not my favorite actor. He seemed too boring and his crying scenes were pretty sad... in a bad way. 

I liked his awkwardness. That's what made the Spider-Man movies different from all the other superhero movies.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
NintendoPie said:
Boutros said:

I liked his awkwardness. That's what made the Spider-Man movies different from all the other superhero movies.

Yeah. And since the Spiderman I was raised on was that old live action TV show. I always thought of Spidey as this goofy kid, that is a little sad and lonely and just wants to fit in. That's why I thought Tobey was great as Spiderman, but I don't see him in much else.

I watched the movie yesterday, and the only thing I can say is....

IT IS FU$%ING AWESOME!!!! Way better than the previous 3 movies.

The fights are more fast-paced, and the acrobatic moves of Spiderman are really well done. The previous spiderman was a bit heavy and slow compared to this one.

Can not wait to see the sequel XD

I hate to be that guy but.....while I enjoyed it while I was watching it, and I didn't really like the Raimi movies that much (I especially hated Spider-Man 2--and for some reason, I was the only one.), I think this was a pretty bad version of the Spider-Man origin. And I'm even aware of the true story of Peter's parents from the comics and stuff. Why didn't I love it?

Well, the action was good and, at times, amazing. The acting was good. The special effects were awesome. It just did a lot of things wrong.

1. Spidey wasn't funny. Not at all. Perhaps it was the evolution of Peter Parke into that Spider-Man that talks so much smack that his foes can't focus on killing him. Maybe it was too soon for him to get over the death of Uncle Ben. Still, Spidey came off as more of a bully and a dick instead of a guy who was in over his head. I actually felt like groaning during that car jack scene.

2. Uncle Ben kinda brought it on himself. That thief never had any intentions of killing him! He was running and dropped his gun. Uncle Ben dove on it like he was Batman. OF COURSE HE GOT KILLED! And he never even said, "With great power comes great responsibility."

3. Spidey took his mask off waaaaay too many times. I mean, everybody saw his face in this movie. Why even wear a mask if you're just going to reveal your identity to everybody?

4. The Lizard had no motivation to do the things he did. Yeah, he got lizard powers (and he looked more like Killer Croc from Batman than the character, the Lizard). That was enough to make him evil? That made him want to turn the world into lizard people? And HE found out that Peter Parker was Spider-Man, too. Why? Because, like Bart Simpson, Peter couldn't resist leaving a "Property of Peter Parker sticker on his camera.

5. Peter was a bit of a dick. Look at how he treats his Uncle Ben. Look at how badly he treats his sweet Aunt May, no matter how sweet and understanding she is. I even felt bad for the way he treated Flash Thompson. With great power comes the ability to treat everybody like shit, I guess. What an emo brat, Peter has become.

6. He was kissing Emma Stone and I wasn't.

7. He didn't even make his webs. He got them in the mail from Norman Osborn's company. The fuck!? If he couldn't come up with the chemicals by himself (which wasn't done in the Raimi movies because the thought nobody would believe that a high school kid could come up with them.), they probably would have been better off as organic. It's not like he ever ran out of them or anything--a big plot device in the comics.

8. The most disappointing "After credits scene", ever. I mean, what the fuck? It added nothing. No "Holy shit! They're going to make the Avengers!". No "Holy shit! That's the Cosmic Cube!!". Definitely no "HOLY SHIT! THAT'S THANOS!!".

9. The trailer gives away everything. Is he going to be able to destroy that tower? Well.....yeah. I saw it in the trailer almost a year ago. Same with Peter getting his mask removed by the cops. Same with Gwen Stacy knowing who he was. Almost reveal worth revealing was given away in the movie.

10. They stole Batman's origin. Batman never found his parent's killer (in the comics.....until the retconned it.....and then retconned it again so that he didn't.....and then retconned it so that he did......). That's why he does what he does. He never go his closure. Robin is happy go lucky because he found his parent's killer. So was Spider-Man. In this one, he never finds the guy that killed Uncle Ben. He just goes around attacking blond white guys with long hair. He's supposed to realize that he's responsible for his uncle's death because he failed to act. He then uses his powers because, by not using them, the person he loved the most died. In this movie, he's just seeking vengeance for his uncle's death. It's like he bares none of the responsibility. He just knows the guy who killed his uncle looks a certain way.

I still liked it enough to buy the game (which I shall be playing all night long!) but I was pretty let down by the movie. The Raimi movies were way too campy and kinda stupid but I actually cared a lot about Tobey McGuire's Peter Parker. He cried a lot but I still could relate to him. This Peter Parker just turned me off. Maybe the sequel will get it right. I wanted to love this movie like I loved almost all of the other recent Marvel films.

d21lewis said:

I hate to be that guy but.....while I enjoyed it while I was watching it, and I didn't really like the Raimi movies that much (I especially hated Spider-Man 2--and for some reason, I was the only one.), I think this was a pretty bad version of the Spider-Man origin. And I'm even aware of the true story of Peter's parents from the comics and stuff. Why didn't I love it?

Well, the action was good and, at times, amazing. The acting was good. The special effects were awesome. It just did a lot of things wrong.

1. Spidey wasn't funny. Not at all. Perhaps it was the evolution of Peter Parke into that Spider-Man that talks so much smack that his foes can't focus on killing him. Maybe it was too soon for him to get over the death of Uncle Ben. Still, Spidey came off as more of a bully and a dick instead of a guy who was in over his head. I actually felt like groaning during that car jack scene.

2. Uncle Ben kinda brought it on himself. That thief never had any intentions of killing him! He was running and dropped his gun. Uncle Ben dove on it like he was Batman. OF COURSE HE GOT KILLED! And he never even said, "With great power comes great responsibility."

3. Spidey took his mask off waaaaay too many times. I mean, everybody saw his face in this movie. Why even wear a mask if you're just going to reveal your identity to everybody?

4. The Lizard had no motivation to do the things he did. Yeah, he got lizard powers (and he looked more like Killer Croc from Batman than the character, the Lizard). That was enough to make him evil? That made him want to turn the world into lizard people? And HE found out that Peter Parker was Spider-Man, too. Why? Because, like Bart Simpson, Peter couldn't resist leaving a "Property of Peter Parker sticker on his camera.

5. Peter was a bit of a dick. Look at how he treats his Uncle Ben. Look at how badly he treats his sweet Aunt May, no matter how sweet and understanding she is. I even felt bad for the way he treated Flash Thompson. With great power comes the ability to treat everybody like shit, I guess. What an emo brat, Peter has become.

6. He was kissing Emma Stone and I wasn't.

7. He didn't even make his webs. He got them in the mail from Norman Osborn's company. The fuck!? If he couldn't come up with the chemicals by himself (which wasn't done in the Raimi movies because the thought nobody would believe that a high school kid could come up with them.), they probably would have been better off as organic. It's not like he ever ran out of them or anything--a big plot device in the comics.

8. The most disappointing "After credits scene", ever. I mean, what the fuck? It added nothing. No "Holy shit! They're going to make the Avengers!". No "Holy shit! That's the Cosmic Cube!!". Definitely no "HOLY SHIT! THAT'S THANOS!!".

9. The trailer gives away everything. Is he going to be able to destroy that tower? Well.....yeah. I saw it in the trailer almost a year ago. Same with Peter getting his mask removed by the cops. Same with Gwen Stacy knowing who he was. Almost reveal worth revealing was given away in the movie.

10. They stole Batman's origin. Batman never found his parent's killer (in the comics.....until the retconned it.....and then retconned it again so that he didn't.....and then retconned it so that he did......). That's why he does what he does. He never go his closure. Robin is happy go lucky because he found his parent's killer. So was Spider-Man. In this one, he never finds the guy that killed Uncle Ben. He just goes around attacking blond white guys with long hair. He's supposed to realize that he's responsible for his uncle's death because he failed to act. He then uses his powers because, by not using them, the person he loved the most died. In this movie, he's just seeking vengeance for his uncle's death. It's like he bares none of the responsibility. He just knows the guy who killed his uncle looks a certain way.

I still liked it enough to buy the game (which I shall be playing all night long!) but I was pretty let down by the movie. The Raimi movies were way too campy and kinda stupid but I actually cared a lot about Tobey McGuire's Peter Parker. He cried a lot but I still could relate to him. This Peter Parker just turned me off. Maybe the sequel will get it right. I wanted to love this movie like I loved almost all of the other recent Marvel films.

I agree with all of that. I'd also add that Spider-Man's dickhead/vigilante persona reminded me of Casey Jones from the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. 

I just finished the game which was both awesome and aggravating as fuck.

EDIT: I did, however, like the fact that they kept Peter in high school for the whole movie.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Went to a premier at midnight and ...Emma Stone made it worth it 100%.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius