By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GamrDebate: Why the 3DS does NOT need a second analogue nub (and will you be getting the 3DSXL?)

Should the 3DS have a second analogue nub?

Yes! 103 40.87%

No! 73 28.97%

I DON'T CARE! 48 19.05%

View results... 27 10.71%

Total:251
outlawauron said:

Honestly, with the creation of the circle pad pro was an admission of 'Derp, we forgot a key feature'. A new nub in a redesign was an expectation of mine.

A few things I want to say in regards to this.  

1) The 3DS XL is not a redesign, as the basic design of the 3DS remained the same.  Same button placement, same buttons, etc.  Just a bigger screen and slightly enhanced battery life.

2) The omission of the second circle pad wasn't because they were being stupid and forgot to add one, but moreso they felt like it wasn't necessary.  

3) Out of all the games coming out for the 3DS, only a very small handful of them will even be compatible with the circle pad pro.

Around the Network

^^^
right

MDMAlliance said:
outlawauron said:

Honestly, with the creation of the circle pad pro was an admission of 'Derp, we forgot a key feature'. A new nub in a redesign was an expectation of mine.

1) The 3DS XL is not a redesign, as the basic design of the 3DS remained the same.  Same button placement, same buttons, etc.  Just a bigger screen and slightly enhanced battery life.

2) The omission of the second circle pad wasn't because they were being stupid and forgot to add one, but moreso they felt like it wasn't necessary.  

3) Out of all the games coming out for the 3DS, only a very small handful of them will even be compatible with the circle pad pro.

The 3DS XL is a redesign. Just like the DS Lite was a redesign and the PSP-3000 was a redesign. This is what Nintendo and Sony does. They release updates to their handhelds every 1.5-2 years.

The omission of the second stick was a glaring exclusion as how the PSP suffered from it last gen, and then it was so important to their biggest publisher (Capcom) that they made an accessory to their biggest game was playable on the 3DS. I understand that it won't be compatible with every game, or even a majority of them. Honestly, to think that a second analog isn't necessary in order to play across all genres, I find that pretty ignorant. Especially considering that they did go out of their way to make this accessory.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The 3DS is NOT a redesign
its the same 3DS just XL size
where do you see the redesign? Rounded borders? Star,home, select buttons?
not enough to call it a redesign.

outlawauron said:
MDMAlliance said:
outlawauron said:

The 3DS XL is a redesign. Just like the DS Lite was a redesign and the PSP-3000 was a redesign. This is what Nintendo and Sony does. They release updates to their handhelds every 1.5-2 years.

The omission of the second stick was a glaring exclusion as how the PSP suffered from it last gen, and then it was so important to their biggest publisher (Capcom) that they made an accessory to their biggest game was playable on the 3DS. I understand that it won't be compatible with every game, or even a majority of them. Honestly, to think that a second analog isn't necessary in order to play across all genres, I find that pretty ignorant. Especially considering that they did go out of their way to make this accessory.

So if I offered you a small box for $1 and then a year later I had a small box and a medium sized box for $1.50, the medium sized box will be a redesigned box?  

The omission of the second circle pad doesn't affect very many games, and if they added one on the XL (after the 3DS has barely been out for a year) a lot of people who bought the original would be outraged because developers would then start making it required to use the circle pad.  People say developers wont do that, but I know they would.  

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
teigaga said:
Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Yes, it should have a second stick! If I don't get a Wii U, and a 3DS redesign with a second stick is on the way, I'll get that instead.

But I still don't see what advantage a second nub would gain. It's like if I were to slap a touchscreen onto a PS3 controller. None of the games currently require it, and none of the games will make use of it. Why would it be any different with the 3DS?

And a 3DS redesign isn't on the way. This new one will be the only one for a good couple years.

No

The biggest 3rd party titles on the 3DS already provide option for dual stick controls and will continue to; Monster Hunter, Kingdom hearts, metal gear solid and resident evil.

Its a very simple solution, games are not created which REQUIRE the controls, but it does enhance the experience or at least provide users an option. In 90% of cases we're talking about camera controls or reticle controls. Developers have and will continue to provide 3DS default options which either used the trigger buttons, touch screen or gyroscope controls but it clears that in most cases an additional circle pad is prefered. Early adopters are not alienated.

Let me ask you a question, then- do you have a 3DS? I know that if the new iteration of the 3DS came with a second analouge nub, I'd be very angry. Either because it wouldn't be used like other Nintendo add-ons, or because every game would require it, making my 3DS redundant. So early adopters would be alienated, as I explained.

And I have played Kingdon Hearts, MGS and Resident Evil, all without the second nub or the attachment, and it was perfectly fine. I never once felt like I needed more control, because the game was designed around the one nub. It's nice to have options, but it does not enhance the experience in all cases.

And you've named 3 games, 2 of which are released in the west, after 16 months on the market. Maybe it's not that big an issue?

Your thinking is irrational; Why would any game require it, how would its use change? The application of the additional stick is almost always camera and reticle controls, with only one circle pad developers simply used the gyroscope or the touch screen, unfortunately that solution is not always comfortable or intuitive (kid Icarus). As you mentioned, the above games were developed for only 1 stick in mind but have had circle pad support added  because the control schemes are interchangable, its not about game design, its about control input. Its understandable that some may have be angered by the fact that there purchase did not come with dual cicle pad option but it is just a "option", so they would not of been alienated, no more so then they have been by the addition of a larger screen or better battery life.

I did not see a  dual circle pad as essential but it would have definitely been welcome in this new design, its a shame it wasn't.

ok here is a scenario that could have played out:

Original 3DS, Nintendo admit they should have had two pads at launch, so to fix that they release a CPP with extra shoulder buttons. A few games come out that support the CPP. Nintendo redesigned to include the second circle pad, But damn RE does not work cause the extra shoulder buttons are missing.

Then people would complain about the shoulder buttons being missing.

So Nintendo makes a second revision which is a thicker 3DS XL with the extra shoulder buttons also included.

Then people bitch but I been waiting for a Lite version not a fat one. Nintendo gone backwards blah blah blah.

I can't remember if it was in this thread or the other thread, but one user said I am waiting for the 3ds to be as slim as a smart phone. Seriously? then the 3DS wouldn't even have the original shoulder buttons and the top screen would need to be paper thin.

Now back to what is happening:

Then throw in this whole adapter argument (which USA will get anyway). Why are people complaining? If you need one buy it seperate. Is it that difficult for you? have you become that lazy to add a few extra words "can I also get the ac adapter". Look on the bright side if you already have one you save money. If it fucks up, it is easier to get a replacement then ever as they will be stocked on shelves.

The fact is haters will always be unhappy with some aspect of the system. If majority of those things come true that people said, they would find other reasons not to get it.Stuff like oh I am waiting for a white 3DS or a mario limited edition or once the price gets below $99 I will but it.

Cobretti
i agree with you, people just complain A LOT about LITTLE things
and actually makes much more sense to not include a second cpp, since there are few games that use it and it would split the userbase. Is very simple guys, avoid the fanboy rage....

As much as I love my 3DS, I would love to see another analog stick on it. Imagine how much better the controls would be on Kid Icarus with one. Controlling the aim and turning with the touch screen just doesn't feel right at all, but it was pretty much the best that they could do with the hardware's limitations.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
As much as I love my 3DS, I would love to see another analog stick on it. Imagine how much better the controls would be on Kid Icarus with one. Controlling the aim and turning with the touch screen just doesn't feel right at all, but it was pretty much the best that they could do with the hardware's limitations.

I disagree with you completely on Kid Icarus.  The controls it has now would be complicated by dual analog stick controls, because you have to focus on dodging, aiming, and firing at the same time.  Switching from one target to another is important to do, and accuracy is also important as the touch screen gives you a heightend amount of accuracy and precision.  The only thing most people don't like is that it's either uncomfortable for them or the controls are too difficult for them to comprehend (which I don't get because I got used to it in 10 minutes).